Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What roast do you use with a Moka Pot?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What roast do...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
admiral70

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Moka Pot
Grinder: Mr. Coffee Automatic Burr...
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 1:39pm
Subject: What roast do you use with a Moka Pot?

Hello all,

Pretty subjective I am sure but roast do you like to use with your Moka Pot?

What about to make iced coffee with your Moka Pot does that change what roast you use?

Thank you
 View Profile Link to this post
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Espresso: Handpresso, Bialetti
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 1:52pm
Subject: Re: What roast do you use with a Moka Pot?

I normally use an espresso blend when using my moka pot, but I have tried single origin arabica coffees with mostly good results.  On the other hand, I once tried an excellent Sumatran coffee in a My Pressi Twist and it made really bad espresso.  Moka pots seem more tolerant than espresso machines of different coffee beans. Never tried making ice coffee using a moka pot.
admiral70

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 2:19pm

DeCoffeeman,

Thanks for the reply.  I have some Peet's French Roast that when made taste burnt.  I went to Starbucks Komoto which is dark and seems really oily.  So was curious what others are using.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 3:31pm

French roast by definition is pretty much charcoal, if you tasted anything else it would be amazing. Starbucks tends to over roast also so again, you got what you bought.

If you are very lucky at Peats you might get fresh coffee and almost never at Starbucks.

Fresh is two weeks FROM THE DAY IT WAS ROASTED. If there isn't a roasted on date on the bag, don't buy it, it is stale.

Look for a city or city + roast, you should have no oil or burn smells.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 3:45am

You need a fine ground coffee and dark roasted. Fine grind can provide right amount of surface with water that can build enough pressure to extract properly. We need a dark roasts also because it has low acid. We are using boiling water and steam, thus a low acid is needed to keep it from tasting like vinegar.

Making ice coffee with Moka Pot canít be possible.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 4:34am

Dark roast is a matter of taste and if you like charcoal, then brew with dark roast.
Yes, you can chill the brew from a moka pot or pour it over ice, ignore above.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 5:00am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

You need a fine ground coffee and dark roasted. Fine grind can provide right amount of surface with water that can build enough pressure to extract properly. We need a dark roasts also because it has low acid. We are using boiling water and steam, thus a low acid is needed to keep it from tasting like vinegar.

Making ice coffee with Moka Pot canít be possible.

Posted September 5, 2013 link

Is there a way to stop this guy posting so much incorrect stuff everywhere??!?! What are you talking about? You can use any roast in a Moka, I use medium, doesn't taste like vinegar.. wtf lol?!? If you like the taste of charcoal briquets in your mouth then by all means use a dark roast. Sure you can make ice coffee with it, pour right over ice after brewing to chill it. Same way I make an iced coffee in the morning with espresso, pour right over ice and add milk. And you don't need just fine, you need a grind between espresso and drip, if you use as fine a grind as espresso you'll choke the Moka or cause over extraction. If you can buy some Pilon or Bustelo brick at a store, that's the grind type/quality your looking to  aim for in Moka, then you can just adjust to taste from there.

admiral70 Said:

DeCoffeeman,

Thanks for the reply.  I have some Peet's French Roast that when made taste burnt.  I went to Starbucks Komoto which is dark and seems really oily.  So was curious what others are using.

Posted September 4, 2013 link

like said, look for some city or city+ roast, and fresh roasted at that. Can order online or look for a roaster in your area (not Peets). Starbucks burns their beans into oblivion and are long since stale by the time you buy them. French Roast roast is basically just burnt, really no taste of the coffee bean, more like charcoal or cigs lol. Another thing that will affect the taste, and no offense, but the Mr Coffee Burr grinder is a pretty poor grinder, more like a bean masher, if you can step up to a better grinder (doesn't have to be expensive, like the Baratza Encore) you'll see way better taste with the Moka. If your not sure how to really use Moka, there are some good vids online or just check on here, way too many people don't use these correctly and complain about flavors and burnt taste... their not packing the right amount of coffee, or leaving too long on stove etc etc.
admiral70

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 7:27am

CMIN Said:

like said, look for some city or city+ roast, and fresh roasted at that. Can order online or look for a roaster in your area (not Peets). Starbucks burns their beans into oblivion and are long since stale by the time you buy them. French Roast roast is basically just burnt, really no taste of the coffee bean, more like charcoal or cigs lol. Another thing that will affect the taste, and no offense, but the Mr Coffee Burr grinder is a pretty poor grinder, more like a bean masher, if you can step up to a better grinder (doesn't have to be expensive, like the Baratza Encore) you'll see way better taste with the Moka. If your not sure how to really use Moka, there are some good vids online or just check on here, way too many people don't use these correctly and complain about flavors and burnt taste... their not packing the right amount of coffee, or leaving too long on stove etc etc.

Great recommendation I will look for a city roast.  So far I see medium in my local stores I will look online.  Funny you said taste like charcoal or cigs because my wife just about spit out some I made yesterdays saying it tasted like an ashtray.

What is your favorite website for buying fresh beans?

Back to the drawing board I go.
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Espresso: Handpresso, Bialetti
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 7:42am

I buy my espresso beans for the moka pot from Red Bird Coffee in Montana.  Jeff of Red Bird is always great to deal with. You'll have the freshly roasted beans in a few days.  I roast my own beans for coffee other than espresso, but I never had had success with roasting espresso blends.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 9:07am

admiral70 Said:

Great recommendation I will look for a city roast.  So far I see medium in my local stores I will look online.  Funny you said taste like charcoal or cigs because my wife just about spit out some I made yesterdays saying it tasted like an ashtray.

What is your favorite website for buying fresh beans?

Back to the drawing board I go.

Yeh the problem is anything in a store like a grocery store, is crap lol, beans are months and months old, and not roasted good to begin with, anything that has a use by or best by date on it run away from lol. You need to find a coffee shop (not like a Starbucks or similar) by you that uses fresh beans from good roasters (just google your area for coffee roasters or shops) which they'll sell to you, or order online. There are tons and tons of roasters. My two normal go to's are http://www.fairmountaincoffee.com and http://www.cafedonpablo.com .

redbird mentioned above is good, I've used Paradise Roasters as well, and bunch of others.

If you want to try something different you can grab Bustelo or Pilon at a store and some Demerarar or Tubinado sugar if you can find it (brown sugar will be fine though), and make whats called Cuban Coffee down here. Just remember Moka pots are different cup sizes (cup = 2oz in Moka terms) so each type has it's own requirements for water and amount of grounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VRXrcC7g3M
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What roast do...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.331446886063)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+