Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Ideal number of days to wait to freeze roasted beans?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Ideal number of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 5:52am
Subject: Ideal number of days to wait to freeze roasted beans?

Did a little Google search... didn't find this question answered.

I already know I want to freeze the coffee. I have some beans that were roasted the 19th (I am writing this on the 22nd). When should I freeze them?  I was thinking one week post roast would be about right, but thought I would ask others if they have an opinion about the correct amount of time to wait to freeze them.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 6:18am
Subject: Re: Ideal number of days to wait to freeze roasted beans?

I freeze immediately, shipment comes in, I break down. I put X amount in zip bags squeezed and sealed to get air out, and then stick inside Ball Canning Jars. I take one jar out as needed and defrost overnight in cupboard, and after scooping out beans, squeeze and reseal the zip bag and stick back in the jar. Works for me. Plenty on here who freeze said they do the same (freeze right when shipment comes)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 6:24am

EDIT:
Chris ya got there first! AND like most times, you were able to say the same thing in less words ;D
End edit.

Well,like a lot of things, I doubt there is a correct answer. Many like to freeze ASAP so that the degassing might continue after thawing and some say to wait until the outgassing has stopped then others wait for a week. YMMV!

I TRY to freeze ASAP, well, I don't always get to it right away if I am perfectly honest, I have even been as late as two weeks after roast :O

For me, I have found that the sooner is the better and I pay the price for "not getting around to it" in lower quality brews.

I am sure you have read a bit on the topic, seal in air tight containers, remove as much air as possible then thaw to room temp before opening the bag/bottle/jar/ whatever, to prevent condensation from forming on the cold beans.

To, again, confess to "less than perfect" practice on my part, I have forgotten to remove beans from the freezer the night before and was out of coffee in the morning. I usually freeze in about 1 pound size lots in a zip top bag. It is not the best thing to do to the beans but I will throw the sealed bag into my microwave for 1 minute on high. As there is little moisture in the beans to react to the microwaves, the result is not as dreadful as it may seem. In MY microwave, this results in the beans being perhaps 50f. I then massage the bag to mix the beans and to get some heat from my hands into them. When they get to close to room temp I use them. I try to avoid this but heck I make mistakes like everyone too!

I have not found that this treatment has a large affect on the coffee, perhaps it "adds" a day or two to the "age" but I am still fairly happy with the result

There are lots of freezing threads here and opinions are all over the map. Try it for yourself and see what works for you, that is all that counts.

OH, btw, your email address is not in your profile, please contact me, I would like to talk to you about something.

ENJOY!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 6:46am

I actually just opened a jar this morning, froze 4 weeks ago, POP. Ahhh love that satisfying pop sound lol. Usually doesn't happen until after a week or so, b/c I'll go through like 2-3 jars in that time. but after that point on, POP, as the gasses build up, and literally pop the lid off when unscrewing lol. There were people on here complaining that freezing doesn't work, think some had older freezer units, but people were also freezing beans like 2 weeks out and wondering why it didn't work.....
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 7:22am

CMIN Said:

There were people on here complaining that freezing doesn't work, think some had older freezer units, but people were also freezing beans like 2 weeks out and wondering why it didn't work.....

Posted August 22, 2013 link

True this!
The older before freezing and the warmer the freezer, the less effective the results will be, don't ask how I know... Well look at my post above if you must know how I know!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 8:03am

I "process" my fresh beans slightly different than above.

As soon as possible after a shipment arrives, I break it down into freezer safe Ball canning jars (no ziploc).  I get as much in as possible, shake them down, then refill the new dead space as much as possible.  Then I put the lids on very loosely for about 12 hours.  My hypothesis is that the loosely fitting lids will allow CO2 to escape as the beans age, thereby driving out residual oxygen (no science here at all, except in theory).  After the "rest", I crank down the lids and put them in the coldest part of my freezer.  

I defrost same as above - overnight at room temperature, still sealed.  When ready, I break the seal and dump the jar into my hopper (for espresso).  For press, my jars (even the smallest ones) hold at least two doses, so once opened the beans stay in the jar and it gets re-closed tightly until needed again.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 8:21am

I have started playing with woodworking and there is a product for use in preserving finishing material. It is called Bloxegen and basically it is argon in a can. An inert gas

It is sold like I said for finishes but it may be useful for coffee too, it SHOULD be ok...?

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

OH, btw, in the video he offers a free bottle to anyone who comes up with a new use for his product. I have already sent an email asking about it being food safe so sorry guys, it has already been asked for coffee. It may have been before IDK but I know for sure it has been now.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 8:41am

currently blocked from the link by "websense" at work...but that sounds similar to the aerosol wine preservers.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 9:47am

Here is the reply from the MFG.
Wayne,

Bloxygen is food safe.  We use only ultra pure Argon.  Argon is so widely used in the food industry that it is not regulated.

Other have also used Bloxygen for coffee.  You'll be very pleased.

Steven

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 7:18pm

Well, I bought a dozen 8 oz jars thinking that would be plenty for 3 lbs.... oops. 8oz didn't go as far as I thought it was going to.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Ideal number of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287243127823)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+