Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Hello everybody
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hello everybody  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BorisKorovljev

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 6:56pm
Subject: Hello everybody

First of all I'd like to greet you all, I just created my account and the reason for that is I'd like to become part of this community. And the other reason is I'd like to learn more about coffee. So I'll ask you a few questions. Recently I've found an old wedding gift of my parents, which is the mini espresso machine. It was in better condition then you'd expect it to be after 15 years. I opened it, cleaned it up, found some parts that were missing. After making few espressos I wanted to try the latte art(I guess that's what attracts the newbies, like myself) and I made about 10 coffees today and it didn't go so well. What I personally think is the biggest problem is the fact my espresso has no cream, only a little around the mug. I bought some espresso beans, I think they're of decent quality. It's Dallmayr Espresso monaco, says 100% arabica(which doesn't actually help me) so I think it's not the coffee's fault. Next thing I was suspicious about is the pressure of my espresso machine. I can't find out how to check the pressure, nor I can check the model out. I've found one exactly the same on the internet, here's the link : Click Here (static.kupindoslike.com) Next problem is I don't have the tamper, so I'm also asking you are there any alternatives to it? Can I somehow make it? And How much coffee should I put for 1 espresso? This is my first post so I hope I'll get some friendly people here, thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 7:45pm
Subject: Re: Hello everybody

Welcome to the insane world of espresso. That machine that you have is steam powered. It cannot develop enough pressure to make "real" espresso. If the beans did not have a "Roasted On" date on the package they are most certainly too stale for espresso use. Since you cannot do anything about the machine, you may find an improvement by looking for a local shop that roasts their own coffee so that you can get some that is fresh. The tamper need not be anything special. A spice bottle may work. A simple piece of wood turned to fit would suffice nicely.  Finally, what grinder are you using?
While some of this article will not apply tom you, on my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BorisKorovljev

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 8:09pm

I'm sorry for making this unclear, I previously said i bought beans, but I bought already grinded beans. So I can't really answer your question. There is grinder at the place I work, I will try that coffee and hope for the best because as you already said, that's the only thing I can change. I will definitely check your website. Thanks for the help!
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 8:15pm

echo Randy's (frcn) reply.  I've been in the same boat for a 53.5 mm tamper needed for a mypressi twist.  I have one on order, but until it arrives, I've been using a beer sampler glass.  It fits pretty well, probably would measure about 52mm.  My shots from the twist have been ok, but nothing spectacular, probably from the channeling, which isn't as bad as I expected.

since there's a grinder at your work, maybe you can find some fresh whole beans somewhere and then grind them at work?

and yeah, check out his website, he's got some great info there!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
BorisKorovljev

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 8:25pm

Well it will be hard to take out everything from the grinder and put my own beans, I'll try to grind their beans and bring some home just to see if I'll get crema with the beans and grinder, if yes I'll buy my own grinder. I'm afraid I'll miss the size, trying to find out at what size I should grind. Got any idea?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 9:55pm

Dialing in a grinder is a matter of trial and error.  Once you get it fine enough to choke your machine (it barely drips anything out), you back off slightly (go slightly coarser) and attempt another shot.  Keep doing this until you get the flow you want.  Always keep track of how much you changed the grind setting so that if you go too far, you have some idea how far back to try for the next one.

You can get a ballpark starting point by 1) saving a small amount of what you're now using (if it's about where you want it), 2) finding a local shop where the barista is cool enough to give you a few grams sample of his/her correct grind (varies by bean/blend, degree of roast, freshness, machine pressure, dose, and other factors), or 3) buying some preground that is designated for espresso.  Once you get a sample, try to adjust your grinder to make the particles about the same size as you have in the sample.  I find it easier to compare by rolling some between my fingers than by looking at them.  When they feel the same, you should be ready to start experimenting with shots.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:45pm

emradguy Said:

Dialing in a grinder is a matter of trial and error.  (...)

Posted August 19, 2013 link

Here's a nice video by SeattleCoffeeGear on how it's done.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 6:45am

You must have your own, espresso able grinder for espresso. You can not have anyone else do it for you. Every machine is different and the required grind is different for every machine/dose out there.

Ground coffee goes stale in about 15 minutes after you grind it so unless your machine is in the coffee shop where they are grinding the coffee, you do not stand a chance of getting it right.

Even if you grind them yourself, you are describing stale beans. Espresso is very fiddly and very small things make a big difference. Two weeks from the day the beans were roasted is about the limit for making espresso. A quality roaster will put the ROASTED ON date on the bag. if there is a BEST BY date, forget it, they are stale.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 7:22am

"Please read before you post New Machine buying question."

Give this a read because a lot of your questions are answered here and questions you should answer for yourself and us.  FRCN's site is great for trouble shooting.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hello everybody  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310300827026)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+