Espresso: Questions and Answers
espresso machine
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > espresso machine  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
cortarcafe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 8:00am
Subject: espresso machine

I know that this question is probably redundant on this website but after searching through the forum I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for.

I'm normally a pour over/ french press/ drip coffee drinker (that's not to say I don't enjoy espresso) It hasn't been until working as a bartista and was trained properly at pulling good espresso that I became in need for a good espresso maker for college use.

While I would love a good quality espresso maker- I'm a broke college student. So I've turned to my parents for a espresso maker for Christmas and have been given a cap at 300 dollars. I was looking at Gaggia Carezza which overall has good reviews for it's price but my parents asked if any of these will do:
Gaggia  12300 Baby Classic

Gaggia  12101  new Baby Classic Manual espresso

Gaggia  14101 Classic Espresso

There all Gaggia's which I trust but to be honest I couldn't find out much about them. Sure I could see the amazon page and read a bit about the machines but there were no reviews and no quality advice I could get on these machines.

I already have a quality grinder- like I said I've been in the coffee scene for awhile now. And the espresso I usually use is either sweet maria's self roasted or counter culture toscano. As It's just me I don't need say more than four shots a morning and the steamer would be used for traditional macchiatos and cortados- but not for large capps and lattes.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 8:19am
Subject: Re: espresso machine

Gaggia Classic.  Period.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 9:15am

Yep, Classic.  Much more solid casing, simpler, more reliable and more flexible internals (3 way valve, adjustable overpressure valve, minimal to no electronics to fail).

Obligatory Coffeegeek follow-up question:  What grinder are you planning on using?
cortarcafe

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 9:39am

A solis maestro plus- I know it's not the best for espresso but it has served me well in my pour overs/drip/press. It's the next thing I intend to do is buy a new one but that probably won't be happening until I work full time in the summer.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 10:02am

cortarcafe Said:

I already have a quality grinder

Posted December 7, 2012 link

cortarcafe Said:

A solis maestro plus

No, actually, you don't...at least, not for espresso. When you get the chance to upgrade the grinder, I highly recommend it.  You will definitely notice a huge improvement.  I don't mean to sound like a d#ck. Rather, I am speaking from experience, having started with that very same grinder.  I then moved to a Rancilio Rocky, and eventually to a Macap M4. The Solis is good, in fact very good for drip and press.  For espresso, the Rocky is passable, but requires a little expertise in modifying dose to adjust for it's inadequate control on grind particle size, while the Macap is a quality grinder in all regards.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 10:19am

The Solis can do a good job with the pressurized portafilter baskets until an upgrade is possible, and might be able to grind OK for unpressurized baskets.  It'll get you going, and you'll get reasonably consistent results with the pressurized baskets, but not the full-on espresso experience.  For example, you will be able to get the hang of temperature surfing, accurate dosing etc. with the pressurized baskets.

I used a Solis 166 (UK spec sold under the Dualit brand) modified to grind a little finer for several years with my Classic and unpressurized baskets before I finally upgraded to the Preciso grinder.  Using home roasted quality coffee and temperature surfing I was able to get reasonable to good results (i.e. significantly better than a superauto or starbucks), but only rarely got superb results, when the beans and available grind settings happened to work together.  It's not a bad starting point, but an upgrade to an espresso specific grinder is a big step in consistency, and in getting consistent quality.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 12:00pm

Just use the pressurized basket till you get an upgrade.  And make that upgraded grinder the first priority.  Set yourself a tip jar by the machine and tip yourself for the drinks with your pocket change and put that towards the grinder.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 12:48pm

That's a great idea, Helen!  Where do you come up with this stuff?

Now that I think of it, I have two ceramic mustard crocks near my mnachine; in one goes all of my quarters and dollar coins, and in the other goes all of my other coins.  The latter goes into my 4 yr old's piggy bank when it gets full, but the former gets saved for coffee gear/toys.  Although, I must admit...I haven't been tipping myself, just emptying my pocket each day.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 2:15pm

emradguy Said:

That's a great idea, Helen!  Where do you come up with this stuff?

+1 -- that's awesome!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 1:37am

Thanks for the kind words, I wish I could say it was original.  However, change can and does add up and it can't hurt to have a goal.  Watching craigslist will not hurt either.  And if friends come over for espresso they can tip as well.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > espresso machine  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313920021057)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+