Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Mypressi help - stopped working
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Mypressi help -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 12:57pm
Subject: Mypressi help - stopped working

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with my 6 month old mypressi?  It just stopped working today.  I tried replacing the cartridge (which did still have some pressure - I read here elsewhere that removing it could cause frost problems, but I wasn't sure what was wrong).  When I pull the trigger, there is very little pressure (not enough to force the water through the portafilter) although I do hear a little hiss at the end of the pull, nothing comes out.  The water eventually leaks through, but when I disassemble it, there is water sitting on top of the grinds.  I've tried cleaning the strainer (removing the o-ring and washing) but still nada.  Such a drag, as I just purchased some new beans I was anxious to try.  I've emailed mypressi, but I fear I may be in for a warranty repair - hopefully someone else out there experienced similar issues and can tell me if they solved it without returning the unit.
 View Profile Link to this post
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 12:37pm
Subject: Re: Mypressi help - stopped working

Sounds like you just ground the beans too fine and choked it.  A different kind of bean can require a drastically different setting on your grinder.  I would try a shot without coffee and see if you get a good water flow.
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 2:42am

Dear CLM,

You have a response to your other post re:showerhead from me.

As ddubick said, it sounds like the unit is choking on a too fine grind.  Other things that might cause this:

If the o-ring is leaking on the top lid of the reservoir, no pressure will build up in the reservoir.  replace the small o ring with the spare that comes with the kit and see if this helps.

If water remains in the reservoir, it would not be a leaking showerhead, as the water comes out from around the outside of the showerhead in this case.

If you are using cheap silver cartridges (not all silver cartridges have this problem - just some), an occasional cartridge will not seal into the handle receptacle very well and will leak gas into the handle.  This is not a Mypressi problem.  There will be no pressure buildup  in the water reservoir.

Think about what you just started doing differently.  If this is your first use of the new roast, it may be that it grinds finer (with the same grinder setting) than your older beans.  If you just started using different cartridges, there may be quality issues with them.

Buckley
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:37pm

Dear Buckley,

It worked!  Thank you so much for this response and also your reply about where to place the washer.  I finally figured that one out too - I found a very thin split washer at the hardware store that stopped the leaking shower head.  Others recommended a SS washer #10, which I can try to find at Home Depot, which I presume is also a split-washer, since it must fit under that little cone-shaped plug securely.  

As for the grind issue, I'm surprised I could grind too fine with the OE Lido, but that must have been the problem.  Today I ground a little courser and using the same cartridge was able to pull a shot.  I'm using cream cartridges made by "isi" in Austria, as that's all I can purchase locally (I'm in Hawaii) and I've been told you can't ship cartridges from the mainland without a special permit.

I love the Mypressi, but feeling bad about all the cartridge waste.  Since I now know how much I love espresso and the various flavors of each shot, I need to find another machine.  I'm looking around for a Caravel, hoping to find one in excellent condition.

Again, thank you for coming to my rescue on both counts!
Cindy
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 5:28pm

Dear Cindy,

You are welcome.

Don't worry about the cartridge waste.  Just keep them.  You can fit them with replacement Christmas ornament hanger wires and decorate a Christmas tree with them.  If you bake, they make wonderful pie weights.  Some people cut them with a bandsaw to make bells and wind chimes out of them.

Enjoy.

B
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Mypressi help -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.2219851017)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+