Espresso: Questions and Answers
buying coffee - is this expensive?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > buying coffee -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cs137

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 10:04pm
Subject: buying coffee - is this expensive?

I've been looking at coffee roasters in the Boston area. I'm sure the coffee is excellent, but the average price is around $17 per 12 oz. Is this generally how much people pay for their coffee? It seems like this might get rather expensive. I've also looked around online, but shipping can add a lot of money (generally $5-$7).

I'm guessing that a cappuccino uses 14g of coffee? If so, then 12oz of coffee should make 24 cappuccinos? This means a 12 oz bag would last me ~1 month - but if I only order once per month, the beans will go stale. Is there something I'm missing?

Where does everyone buy their coffee (and how much does it cost)? Do these estimates seem correct? I wish I could roast my own coffee, but unfortunately, I don't have a yard where I can do it. Thanks for the help!
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 10:14pm
Subject: Re: buying coffee - is this expensive?

Roasted coffee prices are highly variable, depending on quality and reputation of the roaster. $17 for 12 oz is not outrageous for high-quality coffee (e.g., Terroir in Boston). I just orderes some Salvadorean beans from PT's for $18.20 in a 12-oz bag. $5.50 for shipping. It's just the price of quality.

If you're in to mood to freeze coffee, ordering by 5 lb quantities can save money on both the beans and shipping.

(edit) If you're paying $17 for 12 oz, and it makes 24 espressos, you're only paying $0.70 per shot. Not bad. Of course, that does not count waste from dialing in, etc.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 6:10am

Hi,
That price is in the ball park. As Dana said, the more you buy in a lot, the less the over all price. I have a local coffee shop that I help maintain the equipment at, I do it for free as we have so few good coffee shops local. In return, they sell me coffee at just over cost, I pay $55 for a 5 pound bag of freshly roasted coffee and as they use the coffee in the shop, no shipping. From the roaster, the price would be in the ball park of $70 or so plus shipping.

I break the bag into 1 week size lots, remove as much air as possible from a zip lock bag then deep freeze. Only freeze once and thaw in the bag before opening to prevent condensation on the cold beans.

I find this to be acceptable to me and my taste, a fair trade off. Some do not like to freeze and that is fine too.Do whatever works for you and meets your needs.

The most I have ever paid for coffee is $75 for a small lot run of some great coffee from a quality roaster (sorry I don't remember what coffee it was), it was a few years ago, the bag size was 12 oz. There are those who have paid more for sure.

Good quality is like any other food. You can buy McDonnalds or you can eat at a 5 star establishment. Both places fill your stomach  but one is much better tasting. Supermarket coffee is stale McDonnalds.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
BonsaiDoug

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 6:26am

There is, of course, the avenue of home roasting.  Many fine, world-class coffees can be had for ~$5-$8 per pound when purchased "green."
Small batches (guaranteeing freshness) can be roasted in a cheap, air popcorn popper.  I know this approach is not for everyone, but just sayin'...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 7:35am

There is nothing wrong with home roasting. It is however a whole new hobby to add to brewing coffee, one that has as many tips and tricks as brewing great espresso and coffee. There is nothing wrong with that at all, my personal life does not have the time to invest, I have too many hobbies at the moment and my time is worth more than the small increase in price that a roaster charges.

As you said though, it isn't that hard and the price IS lower per pound.... not counting your time LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 7:40am

I only go for places that offer 1lb bags, 12oz bags annoy me for at home with two people and sometimes people over lol. Plus for whatever reason every place I've bought 12oz bags from was way higher in price and for shipping, I was spending like 17-20 a bag + shipping, then finding others offering 1lb bags of same/similar blends or beans for cheaper, usually shipped less then buying a 12oz bag w/o shipping lol. Like Cal I freeze too, batches in zip lock bags w/ air squeezed out and then into ball canning jars. Like him too, no real difference in taste, I can pull a jar out a month later and use the same grind setting as fresh or slightly tighter, shots look the same, taste the same etc.... way better then leaving a bag in the cupboard and going stale fast or sticking the whole bag like some do w/ tape over the valve in the freezer and then wondering why the results weren't good.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 9:25am

Well, it matters to the kind of coffee you want to roast. It doesn't mean that excellent quality coffee is expensive. There are cheaper ones if you are not lazy to look around. However, the price matter to where it came from.

Don't worry if your beans turn stale, then donít roast your own. You can still have coffee in some good shops that will satisfy your taste. Just have coffee at your convenience; you can even do it at home at lesser cost.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
cs137

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 1:47pm

I have some very good coffee shops nearby! Maybe I'll just keep going to those :D
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 3:47pm

cs137 Said:

I've been looking at coffee roasters in the Boston area. I'm sure the coffee is excellent, but the average price is around $17 per 12 oz. Is this generally how much people pay for their coffee?

Posted July 11, 2013 link

No idea.  People pay varying amounts.  That amount sounds like it's in the ballpark of what I'm paying per pound.  Keep in mind that "expensive" is always highly subjective, regardless of topic.  Only you can determine if it's too expensive for you or not.  Back when I lived across the street from a local roaster I got my beans for free.

cs137 Said:

I'm guessing that a cappuccino uses 14g of coffee?

14g is typical for a double but some use baskets that hold more.  Some may dose less.  Depends on the machine, portafilter basket and individual's preference.

cs137 Said:

Where does everyone buy their coffee

Varies.  I use a local roaster (owner owns my preferred coffee shop).

cs137 Said:

I'm guessing that a cappuccino uses 14g of coffee? If so, then 12oz of coffee should make 24 cappuccinos? This means a 12 oz bag would last me ~1 month - but if I only order once per month, the beans will go stale. Is there something I'm missing?

Not sure what you mean.  I only only say that you're missing that usage varies.  A pound lasts me 2 weeks.
Flori

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 12:46am

have you considered buying in a lot rather than your suggested amount. the more your purchase as they say, would be much more cheaper.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > buying coffee -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306201934814)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+