Espresso: Questions and Answers
Confused about shot quality.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Confused about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
trevormc
trevormc
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:40am
Subject: Re: Confused about shot quality.

brianl Said:

how do you measure the pressure?

I can't recommend enough the value of a PID, mine keeps the temperature pretty consistent when steaming. When adding the air you just want to hear that tsk tsk sound. Im sure youve read or heard all this a millions times already though.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

I have plumbed in a gauge and opv from a Brewtus machine.

One day I'll get around to fitting a PID.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 10:42am

Pressure is interesting in that most try for about 9 bar dynamic and that may be about 10 static, even 10.5.  You have a plumbed in gauge and can see pressure while brewing as opposed to a gauge and a bleed valve on the PF to test static and dynamic intermittently.  I would not obsess over pressure if about 9 bar.  Some have tried pressure profiling with a dimmer on Gaggia and seen good results with lower pressure on various coffees.  Part of the fun with your setup is to try say 8.5 to 9.5 dynamic and see if you taste a difference.

You mentioned 55 ml in 25 seconds.  What is the weight, or what is the volume if you let the crema dissipate?  You might try some variation with 30 to 40 gms, perhaps even 25 gms in 25 seconds.

You mentioned steaming.  After I switched to Rancilio wand I read these

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

http://silviaschool.com/node/9

Finally, a bit more on temperature.  Steam pressure is fairly temperature dependent.

Click Here (www.jgbhose.com)

You can help temperature determination with a digital thermometer removed from the metal sheath and bead on the boiler to see where you are for brew and steam.  I found that steam was much better using PID alarm as a second (third) function of the controller with a much narrower deadband than the bimetal stat.  You can do similar manually if you can determine the temperature and keep the steam stat from clicking off.

In the first pages of the link below AndyPanda talks about the digital thermometer and how to use it.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun.  How about a picture(s) of the pressure mod installed?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
trevormc
trevormc

Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 11:43pm

So I am finally learning that if beans give you hassles and don't pull anything but a brown runny liquid (even at one's normal grind setting) then you TIGHTEN that grind up a whack and pull ristretto's :)
It makes for a much nicer cup!

I am also learning not to worry about extraction time or volume, and just go by color.

Here's a picture of the Gaggia with the pressure gauge installed and the picture of the OPV.
The only place I could mount it was on the lid. Yip this did make life far more interesting that I'd generally like it to be!
The Rancillio wand was installed after this.

There's now a neat hole underneath the water fill lid, that I can use to access the OPV with a screwdriver during a shot if I need to adjust the pressure as I go. No more opening it up just to adjust it blind.

Handy hint for those with Gaggias: If your pump is squeelling, whining and doing stupid things.. Run a flush first to get rid of air bubbles in the boiler. It solved my problem.

trevormc: Pressure Mod.jpg
(Click for larger image)
D4F

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 9:42am

I can't quite tell from the picture, what OPV and where in the line.  It does not look like Gaggia in the normal Gaggia position at boiler entry, you noted "from Brewtus."  Other Gaggia owners are occasionally looking for another OPV and place to install, and connections.  How about a bit more info?

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 9:48am

Another interesting link if you have not already found it, Brewing Ratios.

D4F also at
trevormc
trevormc

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 11:10pm

Herewith picture of the OPV from a Brewus.

I basically plumbed it between the pump outlet, and the boiler inlet. Using a T-piece I also connected in the pressure gauge.
The outlet of the OPV goes back into the tank.

The tricky part about getting it to fit into a Carezza body, is that you have to turn the pump around and face it the other way. Using an 90 bend to the left from the pump, I connected the OPV with the adj screw facing upwards, and drilled a hole directly above it (under the lid) for a screwdriver.

Because it's so cramped in there, I then ran a pipe from the OPV past the boiler again, and connected the T-piece + gauge + existing short pipe back into the boiler.

I'll try take a photo this week, of what it looks like, but I doubt you'll be able to make out much with everything in there.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

trevormc: photo (20).JPG
(Click for larger image)
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 2:24am

It's really very strange.  By such a big difference, 60-140%, how can people know what it is?
Can weighing be easier than volume?  Isn't it a too much difficult way to do it? In fact, people have not found a proper way to do it, and do volume for almost a hundred years.
At last, we need to know how to judge the quality, in stead of the definition.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:33pm

When learning I weighed my shots a lot.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Confused about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271288871765)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+