Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Gaggia Classic Portafilter Replacement
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:04am
Subject: Gaggia Classic Portafilter Replacement

Hello All,

I currently have this bottomless portafilter and really like it. http://www.espressoparts.com/G_59B

However, for my regular double spout portafilter, I have that chrome plated one that comes with the classic that shows a lot of wear and tear on the inside (and the horrible handle). Does any E61 portafilter fit in the gaggia classic and does anyone recommend a higher quality one that isnt chrome plated like the standard one?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:14am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic Portafilter Replacement

I wouldn't expect so, after all the Gaggia Classic doesn't even have an E61 brew group (what the heck, there are so many E61 clones around, that these aren't always compatible).

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
brianl

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:37am

thanks for that. I guess i'm just looking for the 'upgrade' over the gaggia classic stock portafilter. Or I guess i'm stuck on bottomless.
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 11:47am

I have read that the commercial Gaggia ones fit.  Aren't all good portafilters made from chrome plated brass?  I am curious - is there a downside to bottomless for a single cup?
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 10:51pm

jonr Said:

I am curious - is there a downside to bottomless for a single cup?

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Just the usual disadvantages of any naked PF: it relentlessly reveals any uneven extraction by squirting around and making a mess. You have to work very precisely and consistently, and the single shot basket is even more difficult to handle than the double.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 5:50am

How old is your pf? Have you soaked it overnight in Cafitza or similar? I suspect it's less worn out than you think.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jonr

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:36am

Maybe what the world needs is a portafilter where the entire bottom (not just the spout) screws on.  Ie, you can convert it to/from bottomless.

A related question - does anyone know where I can get a wood handle for a Gaggia portafilter (they have a rectangular shaft which makes it difficult).  But maybe a little cutting and grinding would fix that issue.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:12am

jonr Said:

Maybe what the world needs is a portafilter where the entire bottom (not just the spout) screws on.  Ie, you can convert it to/from bottomless.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Done

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/631277

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
brianl

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:45am

emradguy Said:

How old is your pf? Have you soaked it overnight in Cafitza or similar? I suspect it's less worn out than you think.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

It's a used machine but the original owner got it in about 2007. I have soaked it numerous times in cafiza for 45 minutes or so but never overnight. my observation is that the chrome plating wore off and i'm looking at the brass or whatever is underneath (which just happens to be coffee stain color) ha.

Maybe just getting a round handle for the thing. i agree with the guy above about the awkward handle.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:01am

I got my Classic new and the inside of the PF looks that way, like it is thinly chromed or not at all.  IIRC, it was always that way and I assumed that pennies were being saved on inside chrome.  I can try soaking overnight, but I don't think that it is coffee stained.

Unfortunately the square lugs under the handle make life a bit more difficult.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295667886734)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+