Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
I just got my first machine and need a portafilter....is this the right one?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > I just got my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cleanplanets

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 3:21pm
Subject: I just got my first machine and need a portafilter....is this the right one?

hey guys and gals,

Just got my first espresso machine... was tired of paying 2.75 every morning for my Americano so I found a deal on this machine because it had no portafilter...will this stuff work with my machine?

the machine is a fiorenzato columbina, I have added these items to my cart at 1st-line... the machine has a e61 grouphead.....does that mean that 58mm baskets will work?

im going to buy a portafilter and a 58mm blind basket,is 58mm the right size? are all e61 groupheads the same size? will all e61 portafilters work or are they manufacturer specific?

heres the items

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

should work? thanks for any advice.
 View Profile Link to this post
cleanplanets

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 3:22pm
Subject: Re: I just got my first machine and need a portafilter....is this the right one?

58mm tamper will work as well?
ntouch

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 10:42pm
Subject: Re: I just got my first machine and need a portafilter....is this the right one?

Yes all e61 groupheads can take the same portafilter. You do not need to buy one that is manufacturer specific. I would suggest that you look into buying a bottomless portafilter. Just an opinion, but most people end up going that route, save your money and just buy one from the get go. There are a couple of places that you can get a bottomless portafilter at a better price than what you have in your cart that you posted. I would use some of the savings to buy a good VST basket, and a tamper that goes with it. Yes, the 58mm tamper will also be what you are looking for with that portafilter. Hope that helps.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 5:11am

ntouch Said:

...I would suggest that you look into buying a bottomless portafilter....

Posted June 29, 2013 link

excellent recommendation

ntouch Said:

...buy a good VST basket....

I think all VST baskets are good.  Probably what he meant to type is buy a good basket, such as the VST...and I agree with that recommendation as well.

ntouch Said:

...Yes, the 58mm tamper will also be what you are looking for with that portafilter

Your tamper should match your basket as closely as possible. The VST baskets are best used with a 58.35mm tamper. There are a couple of places to get one that specific, one is Reg Barber, but his are expensive, and though very beautiful and extremely functional with many options to chose from (even customization), there are at least a couple of much cheaper options - though I can't think of them off hand (probably since I have a custom Reg). If you don't get a VST basket (or more than one), Reg Barber has the option of sending in exact measurements of your basket or even sending in your basket to get an exact match.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
cleanplanets

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 8:06am

thanks for the replies...... could you guys possibly suggest a particular bottomless portafilter that will work with my e61? which sites have the best prices?
ntouch

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 8:36am

Where are you located?
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:33am

If you decide on a 58.35mm tamper to match a VST, check out Made By Knock Tampers:

http://www.madebyknock.com/

They're in the UK, but even when shipping across the pond, the prices are very reasonable. The quality is top not notch.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > I just got my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273904800415)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+