Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
can you smoke coffee?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > can you smoke...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
galtman
galtman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional,...
Grinder: Cunill El Tranquilo
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2004, 12:14am
Subject: can you smoke coffee?

hi,

i'm new to this forum but not new to coffee. i fell in love with espresso on a month long visit of Sicily a couple years ago.

i'm an espresso-addicted person, who, while consorting with a cigarette-addicted friend, came up with the problem: can coffee be smoked?

i thought that before i go roll up coffee, a la a joint, i should seek counsel.

thanks,
greg.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2004, 12:54am
Subject: Re: can you smoke coffee?

There has been a bit of discussion on the forums regarding the toxic content of smoke from roasting coffee. There is a considerable amount of toxic compounds in the smoke, and I think concentrating it and smoking ground beans would be bad for your health.

But, if you don't mind blowing out your lungs, I can tell you that I get a caffeine buzz when I'm roasting.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
onocoffee
onocoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2004, 4:59am

Why waste your time smoking coffee with unknown effects when you can go out and smoke substances that are well-known, widely distributed and easily available?

;-)

I'm talking about cigars guys.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
flimbag

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Euro2000 Jr.
Grinder: Minging Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Cona Jr.
Drip: I know you are, but what am...
Roaster: Prima Popcorn Popper
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2004, 7:47am

galtman Said:

can coffee be smoked?

I think you have to extract the caffeine and process it into freebase first.

Alternatively, why not go the whole hog and try cooking it up and shooting the stuff?
 View Profile Link to this post
hamm
hamm

Espresso: Alex Duetto (1st gen)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: I'm not that kind of guy...
Drip: From the faucet occasionally
Roaster: I buy from several
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2004, 2:41pm

Here's my take:

I don't smoke, but I do like the smell of good pipe tobacco.  I actually like the smell of 'backy if it ain't burnin'.  Pipe tobacco is about the only stuff I can stand the smell of when it's on fire.

That being said, I don't think I would like tea made from tobacco leaves, but it might taste good to someone.  In a nutshell, coffee has been historically crafted to be consumed by drinking it in liquid form while other things were crafted to be eaten and others smoked.  So I vote that it isn't a good idea to smoke coffee.

Hmmm....  I was just wondering....

Ever notice that most of what we eat, drink or otherwise put in our mouths are meant to be smelled and tasted?  I mean, those two senses go hand in hand right?  Similarly, if something is visually appealing, might it also taste good or smell good?  (Think a perfect shot here)  

Well, what about things like music, which is meant to be heard, or visual art that's meant to be viewed?  I'd like to see someone make some music that tasted good, like say a cappuccino and a slice of dark chocolate cake, or I'd like to see a painting that smells like barbecued ribs.  Mmmmmmm... Barbecue...  Homer drooling

Gee, guys.  Sorry to go off on a random thought like that.  I'll make sure to take my medicine next time.

Hamm
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2004, 3:01pm

galtman Said:

hi,

i'm new to this forum but not new to coffee. i fell in love with espresso on a month long visit of Sicily a couple years ago.

i'm an espresso-addicted person, who, while consorting with a cigarette-addicted friend, came up with the problem: can coffee be smoked?

thanks,
greg.

Posted April 15, 2004 link

Check the home roasting section; you can sniff the beans while they roast. I sort of like the smell, and it's the best way of telling when they are done.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
galtman
galtman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional,...
Grinder: Cunill El Tranquilo
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2004, 1:52am

thanks everybody.

i think i'll be experimenting this weekend.

i'll post the results.

if i survive, that is.

greg.
fad
fad

Espresso: Grimac La Uno, Isomac...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ. Cunill...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: SwissGold
Roaster: Ron Kyle BBQ Drum,...
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2004, 3:03am

galtman Said:

hi,

thanks,
greg.

Posted April 15, 2004 link

In a coffee-related DVD I've got, a plantation owner mentioned that the cherries contained caffeine. Since that's the case, I'd assume that the rest of the plant should also contain caffeine.

I don't know how it'd taste/smell, but it might be possible to smoke the leaves of the coffee tree and get a caffeine hit that way..

Personally, I'll stick to drinking mine.

Cheers

Paul Haddon
Sydney, Aus
tom_b
tom_b

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia/PID
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Roaster: USPS/Popper
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2004, 3:01pm

This would make a good episode of crank yankers (not that I can stand the show at all, but)..

How about a musical version? A coffee shop gets a phone call and the question is put to the barista, a rasta, who then sings (with plenty of backup singers):

"I smoke two cups in the morning,
Smoke two cups at night.."

Or maybe something old from Lee Perry.. tom
cremaboy
cremaboy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Kitchenaid Pro 12
Roaster: Peerless Coffee
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2004, 8:45pm

Hope you make it thru the weekend Greg.

Plants have evolved over millions of years and contain literally hundreds of trace amounts of organic compounds. Those present in the highest concentration developed to protect the plant from pests. Many are not water soluble so we are not exposed by drinking coffee (a water extraction). When you smoke the plant material (beans or dried leaves you oxidize those compounds into other compounds which might be even more toxic.

If you're young and reasonably healthy, you'll probably only get a little sick. If you happen to be especially sensitive to one or more of these compounds, you might get REALLY sick. You may experience an anaphalatic shock. Symptoms are bronciotracheal obstruction and difficulty breathing.

Things must be slow in Boston this time of year.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > can you smoke...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30498790741)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+