Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Please help me diagnose pull issues! Delonghi EC155 with naked PF and 607706
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Please help me...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Gallansio

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 3:22pm
Subject: Please help me diagnose pull issues! Delonghi EC155 with naked PF and 607706

I just chopped off the bottom of my Delonghi EC155 PF and got the 607706 basket.  Here's a video of the pull, which I know is a disaster, but that's why I'm posting.  I need your help. Can you give me some tips on how to improve this?

I'm tamping to 30lbs, I'm not knocking the basket.

I think maybe my grinder isn't getting it fine enough.

Click here to see the video of my pull

Thanks in advance!!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 6:11pm
Subject: Please help me diagnose my pull issues! Delonghi EC155 with naked PF and 607706

yeah, pretty miserable shot...sorry don't mean to be knocking you when you're down, but rather, just confirming that (in case there was any question at all).  Anyhow, don't fear, you can only improve.  

A couple of comments:
1) look at your video again.  in the very beginning, you'll see the extraction starts on one side, then walks across the bottom of the pf, that comes from uneven distribution and/or tamping.
2) you're getting tons of channeling.  This may also be in part from your distribution.
3) in your next video (assuming there is a "next" one), you'll want to show your dosing, distribution and tamp methods, so we can see what you're doing

questions for you:
1) what grinder do you have?
2) when were your beans roasted?

advice...Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home, article 12, found under "how to" on www.espressomyespresso.com

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Gallansio

Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 6:53pm
Subject: Please help me diagnose my pull issues! Delonghi EC155 with naked PF and 607706

No Worries! :)

I REALLY appreciate your help.

That looks like a great article. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a link to the grinder I have. It's a KRUPS GVX1

I will post more details the next time I pull
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 7:47pm

That grinder is killing you! It doesn't have the consistency in particle size for espresso. It also doesn't have the adjustability you need to dial in the fineness for espresso. I know that to a newbie 17 settings sounds like a lot, but only two or three are probably in the espresso range. Take a look at something like the Baratza Encore or the Racilio Rocky. Those have 40 steps! They aren't sensitive to really get one exactly where they need to be in grind setting either, but they're close enough to allow one to compensate and make it work. Still though, nobody here (ok, there are a few) recommends them because of that limitation. If you can swing it, you're going to see a huge improvement if you can upgrade that grinder to a refurbished Baratza Preciso (440 settings). It's goes for $239. If that's causing you sticker shock you're going to have to look at manual (aka "hand") grinders, cause that's entry level for an adequate electric grinder.

Still wondering when your beans were roasted. They need to be fresh...that means roasted with 15 days or so.

Oh, btw...can you please shorten the title of the thread by two or three characters. This system adds re: to all replies and I keep getting an error message.

Gallansio

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 4:11am
Subject: Re: Please help me diagnose pull issues! Delonghi EC155 with naked PF and 607706

My wife works at the Starbucks headquarters so (while not ideal) I'm trying to make due with using the free pound of coffee a week.  I'm guessing you think that is a sin, and I get why, but that's what I'm going to try first....and as you know they don't have a roasted date on them.

Thanks a lot for the tips on grinders. Where are people buying refurbished grinders?

I'm leaning more towards the Baratza Encore since it gets great reviews for n00bs like myself.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 5:03am
Subject: Re: Please help me diagnose pull issues! Delonghi EC155 with naked PF and 607706

I had a modded Delonghi Bar32 (same internals as EC155). Looks like you removed the pressure clip portion, def need a better grinder that Krups is junk (no offense meant lol). If your unpressurized you need at least the Preciso, the Encore can't grind well for espresso except for pressurized portafilters and you'll have similar issues, either choking/gushing as the steps are wide and meant more for coarse grinding. Also these baskets are smaller than normal  so I can't remember what they should be dosed at as their easy to over dose and cause more issues. If you have a small digi scale that measures to .1 grams you could try like 12g and see if there's any screen imprints in the puck.

Baratza list new refurbs every Thursday.
Gallansio

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 5:18am

CMIN Said:

I had a modded Delonghi Bar32 (same internals as EC155). Looks like you removed the pressure clip portion, def need a better grinder that Krups is junk (no offense meant lol). If your unpressurized you need at least the Preciso, the Encore can't grind well for espresso except for pressurized portafilters and you'll have similar issues, either choking/gushing as the steps are wide and meant more for coarse grinding. Also these baskets are smaller than normal  so I can't remember what they should be dosed at as their easy to over dose and cause more issues. If you have a small digi scale that measures to .1 grams you could try like 12g and see if there's any screen imprints in the puck.

Baratza list new refurbs every Thursday.

Posted June 17, 2013 link

It's actually a new basket the 607706 from Delonghi. Have you tried the Encore? The Seattle Coffee Gear people seem to think it is good, but I can see what you mean about not having the fine grain control.  

Thanks for the tip about the reburb listings!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 8:39am

I have not used an Encore.  However, it's basically the same as a Rocky, in so far as adjustability goes, and I have owned one of those.  Like I said above, it's useable, but at a price.  Kind of ironic, but the lack of ultrafine adjustment makes it better suited to someone with a lot of experience, rather than a person new to espresso, and conversely, users with a lot of experience willing to deal with that are few and far between, as there are much better grinders out there. I can't begin to tell you how many people like yourself thought that was good enough for them and then went "Oh wow!" after getting something that is actually recommended by many here...but hey, if you want to go down that road yourself, go for it...but don't say we didn't try to warn you. :)

I understand it's hard to argue with free, but you're the one who has to suffer and struggle with it.  I have a good friend who has a nose for free food and will always choose it over paying himself...me, I'd rather pay my hard earned money for good food than eat free bad food - but to each his own.

Gallansio

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:25am

Keep in mind that we're talking about an $80 espresso machine here :)

I'm thinking the Encore is good enough for the EC155, but if I think I'll upgrade the machine down the road, then the Preciso would be a better choice.  I just have to make that call.
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 12:16pm

Gallansio Said:

Keep in mind that we're talking about an $80 espresso machine here :)

I'm thinking the Encore is good enough for the EC155, but if I think I'll upgrade the machine down the road, then the Preciso would be a better choice.  I just have to make that call.

Posted June 17, 2013 link

It doesn't matter whether its a cheap machine, the 80 dollar machine is meant to be used pressurized. If you want to use the encore then you'll need to use the pressurized basket that came with the machine.

That's the price to pay for nonpressurized. I guarantee you that everyone that replied to this topic has been down the same road as you. We all thought at one point that the high rated EC155 on amazon would be marvelous. Additionally, I used to think GALE at seattle coffee gear was amazing. Now I watch some of their videos and argue through the screen.

I started with the EC155 and depressurized it and went through 4 grinders before I ended up on the VARIO. Now everyone is my family has a grinder laying around haha.

Not to add insult to injury here, but people here listed the Preciso as the 'minimum' necessary. I personally wouldn't waste the time and would go for the VARIO or above. Especially if you go the REFURB route.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Please help me...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324402093887)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+