Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Keeping Coffee Beans Cool in the Summer
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Keeping Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 10:47am
Subject: Keeping Coffee Beans Cool in the Summer

Hello Again,

I have been having problems with the weather this summer when making espresso. It seems that I am having a hard time keeping my beans cool. I don't have central air and only have the window unit on when i'm in the apartment or about to be in (time). Therefore, when i'm at work or away the beans are in a pretty hot apartment. I keep them in an airscape container, which is completely opaque. It appears that the ceiling fan blows the air around but it doesn't make it cool. It's still 85 degrees with the breeze or not.

My question is, does anybody know a low cost way to keep the beans at an appropriate temperature?
 View Profile Link to this post
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 11:07am
Subject: Re: Keeping Coffee Beans Cool in the Summer

How about a small 'igloo cooler'?
brianl

Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 7:15pm

I have those insulated freezer bag things. I was worried about the cooler being too cold. Maybe put in freezer blocks with the gel in them?

I just wanted to see how other people dealt with this issue in my situation. Or whether it's just ignored
steven_meyer

Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 7:19pm

You don't have to put ice in them.
brianl

Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 9:22pm

Do you mind posting more details on what you mean? We might be thinking of different things here. Thanks!
steven_meyer

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 3:16am

I'm talking about a small igloo ice chest. Something like this.

http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+PLAYMATE+MINI
brianl

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 6:41am

Okay thanks.

So you say that I don't need to put ice in it and it will keep a good temperature? Im not familiar with these but I find the idea interesting.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 7:27am

If you go through them quickly, just keep them in a sealed bag, in the back of a cupboard. If they are to be around longer than 2 weeks, divide them into lots that last 3 to 4 days, place in zip top bags, remove as much air as possible then place in the coldest part of your freezer. Only remove enough to be used in a few days (one bags worth) then let come to room temp before opening the bag, this prevents moisture from forming on the beans when thawing.

Refer temps are the WORST temp to store beans, like baked goods, that temp zone SPEEDS UP the staling process.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 8:27am

I got through them before 2 weeks but still seem to have issues. Therefore, I'm looking for an inbetween solution.

So when you say Refer temps are the worst, do you just mean humid/hot? The ones i had issues with before were on the border of two weeks and if it speeds up the staling it might explain when i was having issues.

I might have to keep them at work during the day haha. they keep it a freezer box. I checked my cabinets when a thermometer and its well over 80 haha. Maybe the top of the fridge (not inside) could be good.
Buckley

Espresso: Londinium I, Olympia Maxima,...
Grinder: Compak K-10 WBC, Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nondescript popper
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 9:59am

Dear brianl,

There is too much humidity in refrigerators but I think that calblacksmith was referring to the temperature of the refrigerator compartment.  This temperature zone is famous for staling bread and for destroying the flavors of tomatoes and stone fruit.  I always assumed the temperature was also bad for coffee but I have seen no articles that support my opinion.  I avoid putting coffee, bread, tomatoes, peaches in the refrigerator compartment.
Getting back to your question, you know, if I lived in Chicago, I would not have your problem.  I would buy freshly roasted coffee once per week, maybe when I did the food shopping.  One week in a warm kitchen will not kill the beans (I have lived in the tropics).  Is it so inconvenient to get to Intelligentsia that you cannot buy from them?  I think many of us would like to have your problem (I live in Indianoplace, IN, right now).  Perhaps you live in an outlying area, or perhaps you are one of the people who just do not care for Intelligentsia.  But in such a large metropolis, there must be enough boutique grocery stores relatively near you that some carry artisan-roasted coffee of one source or another near the roast date- there seems to be a dozen local roasters in Chicago.  It is, of course, your choice to choose stashing over episodic gathering, but that would not be my choice, given the limits that you describe.

Buckley
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Keeping Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247530937195)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+