Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Brew Pressure Issues
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Brew Pressure...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Billyj66

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 9:59am
Subject: Brew Pressure Issues

Hi all;

I'm kind of new to this and self taught espresso enthusiast.  I use an Expobar Brewtus IV vibe (year and a half) and a new Baratza Vario, my coffee is always black cat 7 - 25 days from roast.  the last several months I have had trouble consistently getting a good coffee and I'm hoping some of the experts can get me pointed in the right direction.  here are some of the variables to consider.
I'm quite sure its my lack of skills and not an equipent issue but the pressure gauge properly idles at or near 10 but when i try to pull a shot the gauge plunges to one - which i think is normal in the first few seconds - and then about 8-10 seconds later the pressure starts to build.  so far sounds normal i think.  but then the gauge goes up to 10 then sounds like it choking and drops and climbs and drops.  So, i thought maybe my grind was too fine but with a minor adjustment on the micro side of my grinder.  the gauge would only go up to 4-6.

i had considered that i was just grinding way to fine and thats the issue.  could it be? why would a minor adjustment not build nearly enough pressure then?

also, i had considered that the heat and humidity in my kitchen had caused some of the issues because my kitchen is not as well conditioned as the rest of the house but that could just be me grasping.  seems to be a fine line between choking the machine and pulling to ounces of not very good coffee with low pressure.

any ideas?

thanks,
billy
 View Profile Link to this post
MatP

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Macap MXP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 10:26am
Subject: Re: Brew Pressure Issues

Is the pressure variation happening with a blind basket as well?

When you have the pressure going up and down, does the flow of water out of the OPV vary as well (you can check this at the output of the tube going back to the tank) ?

You also may want to contact WLL to see what they have to say about this as well.

Cheers

MatP
Billyj66

Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 10:47am

With the blind it goes to 10 but that is part of the reason i assumed it was not the pressure setting - also it idles at at or near 10.

i'm not sure about the second part.  i'll take a closer look tomorrow but im not sure i would even really know the answer if i was looking at it.  i'll def check though.

as for WLL, I'm not 100% in love with the level of interest they have shown.  I'm sure that my lack of understanding my machine and the proper lingo doesnt help but... Big disappointment.

thanks
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 12:07am

Does it do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQbMOmVsQA

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Billyj66

Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 6:01am

Thats precisely it.  in fact i saw that video last night and was just logging on to show to you all.  thanks for going the extra mile to be helpful.  im not getting any visable leak from the opv.  the guy in the video says he sent it to WLL and the replaced the opv and the pump.  what do you guys think.

thanks,
billy
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 7:23am

This happens to my brewtus when I grind too finely/tamp too hard. You have a vario, so I would imagine you can step back the grind just a tad. Odd that this does not happen on my machine when I use a blind filter basket. Perhaps this also has to do with over dosing your filter baskets. I first noticed this issue when I dosed 19.5g into my 18g basket.

Things to try:
  • Buy baskets to which you know the quantity they are rated for, these will provide enough clearance between the dispersion screen and the puck to all proper water flow.
  • Loosen your grind a tad, combine with pin clump distribution and rounded tamping for even pulls.
  • Don't try and kill you PF when you tamp, I get my best results with a fine grind and a ~20lb tamp.

Best of luck.

Anthony C

Currently pulling: Whatever Sweet Maria's sends me :D
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MatP

Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 10:50am

I do not think any machine should drop the pressure when the grind is fine enough to choke it :-)

Maybe it is a recurring problem for this specific model?

MatP
Billyj66

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 5:51am

Update:
I sent the video to WLL and spoke w customer service rep.  she says pretty sure my grind is way to fine and need a macro adjustment not micro.  I've started playing with it a little now that i'm back to user error rather than equipment error.  still playing with it but early indication is its not the equipment.  thanks all.

billy
MatP

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 8:41am

Did they explain why the pressure gauge was behaving like that?

Thx

MatP
Billyj66

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 2:13pm

Not really just said that my grind was too fine.  Doesn't sound right to me but I take comfort in the problem being user error over having an equipment problem.  I will post in a few days to let you all know if adjusting grind works.  Still, if anyone knows otherwise what the problem could be I'm still open.  I don't remember exactly how it started but I had changed settings a bit while I was experimenting on other beans.  For a year and a half I never had this problem though.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Brew Pressure...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25914311409)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+