Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
high or low volume shots for milk based drinks
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > high or low...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
gophishin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 9:03am
Subject: high or low volume shots for milk based drinks

In making a typical latte, what is the general consensus on shot volume to get good flavor to stand up to the milk?  I realize there are a lot of variables in play here, but curious if there is a rule of thumb of pulling a more concentrated syrupy ristretto or an updosed higher volume shot for a typical latte.  

My shots by themselves taste good to me, drawing about 1.75 ounces in 29 seconds from 17.3grams.  The beans are fresh from a local roaster and I've had shots and lattes at the roaster's location to taste how they think it should come out and liked them.  My concern comes from making milk drinks at home.  When I make (what I think is) a typical latte using ~5oz of 2% milk and steaming to 145-150*, I sometimes find I wish the coffee took a more predominant role in the taste of the drink.  I know the easy fix would be to just use less milk, but where I'm perplexed is how cafes can make the super large 16-20oz lattes using a double shot and still not loose the flavor of the coffee in all that milk.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 12:17pm
Subject: Re: high or low volume shots for milk based drinks

I've noticed at quite a few places that the shots they pull straight vs shots for milk are different.  Meaning I've seen places dose more and extract longer for milk drinks. One by me has one grinder for straight shots, then another adjusted for larger dose shots for milk drinks to help punch through milk. Even some well known places people have said on here and HB to overextract their milk drink shots to bring that stronger taste out through milk.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 1:55pm

gophishin Said:

I sometimes find I wish the coffee took a more predominant role in the taste of the drink.

Posted May 17, 2013 link

I think that many of the milk drink places use Char$ type roast/overroast.  Hard to kill charcoal flavor  :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 1:44am

If the coffee beans you buy are quite oily/greasy, it typically means that they're over-roasted.

It also means that the only thing you can really use them for is in conventional lattes or cappuccinos, otherwise
the taste is really too bold. You can't drink straight shots with beans like that because it's just unbearable. (Well,
at least IMHO.)

I agree with CMN, a deliberate over-extraction will help allow the beans to punch through the milk, with the understanding
that it can also dramatically change the coffee flavor going into the drink.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 5:26am

I pull straight shots using Redbird and it comes through in the milk just fine.  Have tried some other blends from local roasters and found that the bean makes or breaks the latte.  Higher acidiity, fruity espresso seems to disappear in the milk, whille nutty chocolate taste profiles punch through.  Ristretto pulls, updosing to 20g. or more in a triple, combined with the nutty chocolate blends are the bomb!
gophishin

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 8:03am

Thanks for the input.  I buy fresh, locally roasted beans that are not overly dark or oily, as I do want something that is enjoyable to drink straight shots of too.  I will try updosing and maybe grinding a little finer to get it a more ristretto and over extracted pull to kick it up a notch.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 9:05am

I pull my shots the same regardless.  If the milk is overpowering the espresso, then perhaps less milk would be in order.  Otherwise, I'd use a different bean/blend.  Of course, you're welcome to prepare your drinks however you see fit.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 8:06pm

I just thought I'd add in something quick here..

I was working through a batch of Ethiopian Yergacheffe about 2 months ago, didn't matter what I did, the beans really punched through the milk and give it a really nutty flavor I really enjoyed.

I'd say that type of single origin coffee is almost designed to cut through milk...

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
gophishin

Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 7:45am

Thanks for the input!  I tried grinding finer and updosing to get a more concentrated extraction, and it seems to have helped some.  In the future, I'll also try experimenting with different beans for lattes.

I think besides the direct application to my drinks, I am more baffled as to how any coffee flavors can be picked up in the 16-20+ oz milk drinks often served in the US.  It sounds like you guys are attributing that to the super oily charred beans they often use for these drinks, which probably doesn't matter because a place like starbucks is rarely if ever serving straight shots.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 11:57am

Many of the artisan roasters include a comment in their descriptions of beans/blends that they perform well with milk, if it happens to be true.  I personally have not really like many single origin beans in milk drinks, and though I love Yirg, I have to say, I've only used it in a press pot.  The flavor there is fantastic and intricate, but to me, it seems like many of the things I perceive are subtle...so I've never thought to put it in milk.

At risk of sounding pretentious or snobby...I personally find that no matter what is added to the charred, ash flavored espresso made by a very, very popular international coffee chain, it is undrinkable.  I didn't feel that way several years ago, but the last few times I tried a caramel macchiato or mocha from the evil mermaid, it ended up in the garbage after only a few sips.  As you can imagine, I no longer am willing to enter one of their establishments. This is where my earlier comments about using a "normal" shot come from.  Why would anyone knowingly use a sink shot to make a drink they want to enjoy?  It simply doesn't make any sense to me at all.  So, again...yeah, a bit redundant...I use "normal" shots to make my milk based drinks, and adjust the proportions accordingly.  If I want a bigger drink, it gets an additional shot and more milk...but hey, that's me...as Wayne (calblacksmith) says...YMMV!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > high or low...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275161981583)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+