Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
high or low volume shots for milk based drinks
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > high or low...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
sharky
sharky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 12:55am
Subject: Re: high or low volume shots for milk based drinks

qualin Said:

I just thought I'd add in something quick here..

I was working through a batch of Ethiopian Yergacheffe about 2 months ago, didn't matter what I did, the beans really punched through the milk and give it a really nutty flavor I really enjoyed.

I'd say that type of single origin coffee is almost designed to cut through milk...

Posted May 20, 2013 link

I am also in Calgary and wondering where you are sourcing your coffee from?  P & S?  Fratello beans?
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 1:32am

sharky Said:

I am also in Calgary and wondering where you are sourcing your coffee from?  P & S?  Fratello beans?

Posted May 28, 2013 link

I've been getting Yirgacheffe from Phil & Sebastians .. I just wish they had a location which was at the North End of the city.

Fratello has a decent espresso blend which also cuts through milk quite nicely without being too overly harsh. They
call it "Godfather Espresso", I haven't tried any of their other blends yet though.

Mr. Cappuccino sells a good espresso blend if you want something a bit cheaper than P&S or Fratello. I prefer buying their lighter
roasted beans, although they're very secretive about the blend they use and won't tell me much about it. They also sell the
traditional darker Italian style roasts too.

Cappuccino King has some of the cheapest coffee beans in the City. I've tried "Peters Blend" and found that the coffee beans were
quite oily. No matter what I tried, you can't make straight shots with this blend, it's only good for lattes and cappuccinos. If you love
a very dark roasted taste, it's good blend for that. Personally, I don't like my coffee that oily, but that's just personal preference.
I have yet to try their standard espresso blend....

I consider P&S and Fratello to be rather gourmet while the latter two are more like bulk roasters who supply a lot of coffee and coffee
equipment to the restaurant and cafe industry here in Calgary.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 8:49am

gophishin Said:

I know the easy fix would be to just use less milk, but where I'm perplexed is how cafes can make the super large 16-20oz lattes using a double shot and still not loose the flavor of the coffee in all that milk.

Posted May 17, 2013 link

Quality shops I hit don't serve Big Gulp lattes and espresso is pulled the same for shots and milk drinks (and flavor's not an issue in milk drinks).  Where are you getting 16-20oz lattes that you're happy with?  Why not ask them?
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 11:42pm

qualin Said:

I've been getting Yirgacheffe from Phil & Sebastians .. I just wish they had a location which was at the North End of the city.

Fratello has a decent espresso blend which also cuts through milk quite nicely without being too overly harsh. They
call it "Godfather Espresso", I haven't tried any of their other blends yet though.

Mr. Cappuccino sells a good espresso blend if you want something a bit cheaper than P&S or Fratello. I prefer buying their lighter
roasted beans, although they're very secretive about the blend they use and won't tell me much about it. They also sell the
traditional darker Italian style roasts too.

Cappuccino King has some of the cheapest coffee beans in the City. I've tried "Peters Blend" and found that the coffee beans were
quite oily. No matter what I tried, you can't make straight shots with this blend, it's only good for lattes and cappuccinos. If you love
a very dark roasted taste, it's good blend for that. Personally, I don't like my coffee that oily, but that's just personal preference.
I have yet to try their standard espresso blend....

I consider P&S and Fratello to be rather gourmet while the latter two are more like bulk roasters who supply a lot of coffee and coffee
equipment to the restaurant and cafe industry here in Calgary.

Posted May 28, 2013 link

Thanks qualin!  I've enjoyed all of the Fratello blends! Godfather is very good, too!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > high or low...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306658983231)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+