Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
very small coffee business, Can I buy this machine?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > very small...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
FaithDooley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 5:38am
Subject: very small coffee business, Can I buy this machine?

I am wanting to offer my coffee drinks at a new place I'm starting work at. It is a Gourmet Popcorn business. I will only probably make 5-15 drinks a day. I am looking at the breville double boiler. I know it is not commercial but I can't see myself paying anymore than 1,500 for the volume i will be producing. I will have grinder, fridge, sink, etc. At the last place I worked (juice bar) we had a rancilio. It did not work very well but it could have been because of a million possible reasons. If my drinks catch on, I would be more than happy to go bigger but It's just what I enjoy doing not something I plan to make a big business out of. Any suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 6:07am
Subject: Re: very small coffee business, Can I buy this machine?

Hi, and welcome to CG!

Can I ask what grinder you have?

I've never owned a Breville, but for about a year or so, I've read many, many posts about how Breville has a very, very long history of pro quality machines and lousy customer service.  I've also read about people who've dismissed that notion and just bout the DB machine anyways, and they seem quite happy with it. Be prepared to send it in to Breville after 5,000 shots (I think that's the mark).  It will shut down automatically at that point and force you o do so.  Of course you could just get another machine at that point, or to begin with.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 6:49am

You'd be better off with a Nuova Simonelli Oscar, if you ask me. Couple of reasons: First, the Breville DB is not NSF (or any kind of commercial) rated, meaning that if your popcorn location gets inspected, the machine won't pass, as it's not rated for commercial use. Second, you really don't want a machine that you can't service yourself (of get easily serviced locally) in even a light commercial usage situation. Oscar is NSF-rated and is used a quite a few caterers as their party machine.
FaithDooley

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 7:52am

I will be purchasing brevilles digital burr grinder. Do you know if all states require nsf rated machines? I'm in Oklahoma and we tend to be low bar on a lot of things (sad to say). I will check out the nuova simonelli. I just really liked the features of the breville and reviews. We only have one company in the whole state that services espresso machines and their work is crap with a high bill. I appreciate the responses and more are welcome!
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 9:17am

GVDub Said:

You'd be better off with a Nuova Simonelli Oscar, if you ask me. Couple of reasons: First, the Breville DB is not NSF (or any kind of commercial) rated, meaning that if your popcorn location gets inspected, the machine won't pass, as it's not rated for commercial use. Second, you really don't want a machine that you can't service yourself (of get easily serviced locally) in even a light commercial usage situation. Oscar is NSF-rated and is used a quite a few caterers as their party machine.

Posted April 28, 2013 link

Two things,

NSF is a big deal. It's part and parcel of what an Insurance company will look at - after a claim - to determine how well they'll back your position. It's also part of the responsibility of the business to demonstrate safe food, safe process, and minimize potential for causing illness for it's clientele.

Second, while I LOVE my Breville AT Home, the heads up toward Nuova Simonelli is a sound business strategy. You may even find it makes "cents" if you can find someone who offers leasing and maintenance/service support. Maybe not the company you mention, but perhaps another nearby who's willing to expand their territories serviced. Remember too, in this you may find tax advantages at the end of the year.

However, I'm not at the lances' tip; my 2 coppers, YMMV
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 9:41am

FaithDooley Said:

I will be purchasing brevilles digital burr grinder. Do you know if all states require nsf rated machines? I'm in Oklahoma and we tend to be low bar on a lot of things (sad to say). I will check out the nuova simonelli. I just really liked the features of the breville and reviews. We only have one company in the whole state that services espresso machines and their work is crap with a high bill. I appreciate the responses and more are welcome!

Don't know about NSF and OK, but am not generally a fan of playing the lowest common denominator game. Better to buy better equipment that will last longer and give you better results (especially when it costs about the same, as the Oscar is widely available at  ~$1k) than something that's, at best, barely adequate for the intended task.

One of the big advantages of Oscar and similar machines is that you can do most maintenance and simple repairs yourself, which is a big help if you don't have any sort of backup machine. Less down time, fewer disappointed customers. You want to get people into the habit of drinking _your_ coffee instead of the mermaid's (or whoever the local competition is), and part of that is being available. It would only take a few days of the machine being down while you ship it somewhere and wait for it to be repaired and shipped back, with the hope that the problem is actually fixed and the machine isn't damaged in the return shipping cycle, for a customer to develop the habit of getting their coffee elsewhere.

Also, the Breville grinder you mention won't handle any sort of commercial duty cycle, especially if you might have to do back-to-back shots for more than two or three. You'd be far better off looking for a used commercial grinder. There are some good deals to be had on things like used Rossi RR45s and various Mazzers. Most used commercial grinders just need a new set of burrs (generally $50-75) and a good cleaning to get back into shape.
FaithDooley

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 7:10am

You have given me more than 2 cents and I appreciate it. I looked at the nuov. and it looks good. After using and learning on the rancillio and having the repair man out for thousands of dollars worth of repairs I'm afraid of getting a machine that is like that. I want to make a really good espresso. I am a perfectionist and with the nuov. and a good grinder can I achieve that? I was the only person at the last place I worked to even really touch the espresso machine and even with the grinder and machines many issues I still had my few customers tthat said no matter where I go to work I can't stop making coffee.Am I the best barrista? heck no!!! But I am the only one here that makes 100% organic coffee drinks and Espresso so I wan't to perfect it. I really appreciate the responses you two have given me.
FaithDooley

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 7:25am

I shouldn't type when I'm sick. I got carried away with a few letters.
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3,...
Grinder: baratza vario, Hario...
Drip: chemex
Roaster: whirly pop
Posted Fri May 3, 2013, 2:12pm

FaithDooley Said:

I am looking at the breville double boiler. I know it is not commercial but I can't see myself paying anymore than 1,500 for the volume i will be producing. I will have grinder, fridge, sink, etc.

FaithDooley Said:

I am a perfectionist and with the nuov. and a good grinder can I achieve that? I was the only person at the last place I worked to even really touch the espresso machine and even with the grinder and machines many issues I still had my few customers tthat said no matter where I go to work I can't stop making coffee.Am I the best barrista? heck no!!! But I am the only one here that makes 100% organic coffee drinks and Espresso so I wan't to perfect it. I really appreciate the responses you two have given me.

Posted April 29, 2013 link

If you're a perfectionist, and if you really want to make good espresso/coffee, you'll want to invest in good equipment. Sacrificing your product because you want to save money will mean losing more in the long run, because your customers will simply not appreciate the coffee from a low end machine (or grinder, honestly). You get what you pay for, meaning the high-end espresso machines are superior to the cheapy ones not only because make back-to-back shots for efficiently, but also because of their temperature control, durability and stability... among other important variables.

Have you thought more seriously about spending the extra arm and a leg for something along the lines of a La Spaziale Vivaldi II? Yes it's almost 3K, but it's a worthwhile piece of equipment (and it's one you wouldn't have trouble reselling, if need be. It needs plumbed in as well, but I hope you'll be doing that anyway in a commercial environment. It's not overkill... it's used in environments exactly like yours. I would consider a different grinder as well. Seriously.

I think it's a really fun niche you're creating - popcorn and coffee, but there's simply no reason to invest ANY money at all if you're going to skimp on your equipment...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri May 3, 2013, 2:46pm

I second the Oscar idea, and you should grab a mazzer mini for your grinder. Its a good small set up, and while its above your price range, it will probably outlast anything made in china.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Dallis Bro's (NYC): New York Espresso

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > very small...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315834999084)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+