Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What exactly are VST baskets and are they worth it?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What exactly are...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 12:22am
Subject: Re: What exactly are VST baskets and are they worth it?

The space between the coffee and the ridge should be equal distance. if it is not then your tamp I'd crooked.
 View Profile Link to this post
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:36am

That is true . . . so I went with 18g & 20g ridgeless baskets and they are awesome!  They look amazing, beautifully made, and I did notice improved taste and a better shot!  I thought they might come out when knocking out the pucks, but nope!  IMO, they are worth the extra money! ($29/each)  For the Canucks here, I got mine through 49th Parallel Roasters in Burnaby, B.C.  I also got their 58.4mm rosewood tamper as well ($52) . . . beautiful!!

qualin Said:

So, ridged or ridgeless?

My thought is that the ridged ones just make it more difficult to remove the basket from the portafilter.

Posted March 16, 2013 link

qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:13pm

Trying to grind a 19 gram dose into a conventional sloped-wall double basket is kind of difficult to do, only because it's grind, level, grind, level, etc.
I suspect that the double basket which came with the Duetto is only a 18 gram basket. (Someone correct me on this?)

After switching over to the 20 gram VST, the first thing I noticed right away was how fast my shots were running, even with a 19.5 gram dose.

So, I'd say that the first thing anyone should do is consider tightening up the grind and re-dial in their grinder with these baskets.

I agree that these baskets don't knock out any cleaner than the ones that came with my Duetto, but they sure have retained their shine in the
last week I've been using them.

One thing I've noticed is that my shots taste a little more silky than they used to. Maybe it's a mental thing...

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
888RP

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:47am

if I'm dosing out 18.5g for 2 oz, am i better off going with the 20g VST basket?

Thanks!
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:03pm

888RP Said:

if I'm dosing out 18.5g for 2 oz, am i better off going with the 20g VST basket?

Posted April 23, 2013 link

Good question.. I'm dosing around 18.5-19.5 on a 20 gram basket and I find that there is lots of headroom after tamping.
I certainly did have to change my grind to compensate for the flat bottom and the greater surface area.

I just got my 18 gram basket in the mail today.. I'm kind of curious to know how much an 18g basket will really hold and
how it changes the shot if I use the exact same dose.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:12am

I've done up to 20g in my 18g basket no problem.
brianl

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 8:58am

888RP Said:

Thanks!

Posted April 23, 2013 link

That is a good question.

Here is my opinion. I have the 18g VST. For mediumish roasts like Tonx or BlackCat, I can get 20G in there easily without having to do a pretamp to fit it in. However, I just got some RedBird (full city+ roast) espresso and it was filling up at 18gs. I use a Vario, which has fluffier grinds than others i've seen.

Of course, You should get both. I hear VST sometimes throws gifts in there if you buy multiples. ;) But don't quote me on it.
888RP

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 9:26am

brianl Said:

That is a good question.

Here is my opinion. I have the 18g VST. For mediumish roasts like Tonx or BlackCat, I can get 20G in there easily without having to do a pretamp to fit it in. However, I just got some RedBird (full city+ roast) espresso and it was filling up at 18gs. I use a Vario, which has fluffier grinds than others i've seen.

Of course, You should get both. I hear VST sometimes throws gifts in there if you buy multiples. ;) But don't quote me on it.

Posted April 25, 2013 link

Thanks for replying... to be honest I'm even more confused now. I have a Vario as well.. what confuses me is this: does one generally have a set of 16g, 18g, 20g baskets? How do you know which one to use and how much to dose?! I'm currently using black cat and dosing out 18.5 grams directly into my PF. I generally use the flat edge of a card to even out the grinds over the PF and then discard of any remaining grinds. I assume the end dose is probably 17.5-18 grams. Are you not restricted by the depth of your basket with regards to the dose?

When do you use a 16g basket or a 20 g basket (assuming you're always pulling 2oz shots?

Thanks!
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 10:21am

888RP Said:

does one generally have a set of 16g, 18g, 20g baskets?

Posted April 25, 2013 link

Yes. In my case, I have a 15g and 18g.

How do you know which one to use and how much to dose?!

Experimentation. When I get a new coffee, I start with the basket's rated dose, and then vary from there based on taste. I have always found the 15g basket to taste best with 14.5-15g of coffee, but your results will vary based on your grinder and machine. There is some indication, for example, that the Mazzer grinders may taste better with overdosing, but my Macap MXK will taste better with a smaller dose. The headroom will also vary by machine and portafilter geometries.

Are you not restricted by the depth of your basket with regards to the dose?

No. When I dose into my 15g basket, the grounds heap up above the lip of the basket, but I simply tamp straight down.

When do you use a 16g basket or a 20 g basket (assuming you're always pulling 2oz shots?

In my case, I use an 18g basket when the coffee tastes better in it. I find that some blends taste better in the 18g basket, but many of the SO coffees I brew taste better with the 15g basket.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 7:40pm

Not to mention 17g in my 15g basket tastes different than 17g in my 18g basket. Coffee is an interesting mistress
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What exactly are...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.348448038101)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+