Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Crema Gods Help Me ... a Rancilio Silvia Mystery.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Crema Gods Help...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 2:31pm
Subject: Re: Crema Gods Help Me ... a Rancilio Silvia Mystery.

ZimZim Said:

I have a V3 and wonder: why don't you grind finer? That would slow the pull and hopefully extract more of the flavor. I wrestle with grinds as my Baratza Virtuoso is barely able to keep up, using a 0 setting.  I borrowed a friend's OE Pharos grinder (Titan burrs, etc) and was surprised what the Silvia can do with good grinds done more finely than my Baratza can accomplish.

I have to agree about the freshness of the beans, but I'm not as fanatical as some here.  I used to by Lavaza and generally liked it.  But the older the beans, the less taste and more acidity.  I recently switched to small roaster in Wisconsin, and the taste is much better.  Now that could be b/c roast is w/in 5 days of arrival, or because beans are just better tasting (and more expensive!).

Posted February 21, 2013 link

Your Virtuoso is a nice grinder, but not nearly as good as the newer Preciso, which IS a BETTER espresso grinder, and all purpose.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 2:31pm

takeshi Said:

...and, if you really need another opinion, your beans are stale.  Find a local roaster and you'll see immediate and drastic improvement.

Posted February 21, 2013 link

+1

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 2:35pm

Mallory67 Said:

Ok .. First let me thank all the gurus out there are provided advice ... it was all good advice.

I am now pulling shots like a champ after doing the following:

- Upgraded to the  La Marzocco Double Portafilter Basket ($7)
- Got the new flat screen kit from pidsilvia.com ($20)
- Replaced the grinder with Baratza (my old grinder was not grinding fine at a setting of "4" ... and I could not choke it out even at a setting of "1").  Baratza had amazing support.

And of course ... some really fresh locally roasted coffee (as you all suggested).
Got some great stuff from Dilworth Coffee here in town and from Counter Culture Coffee upstate.

I am now using only about 14-16g of coffee for a double shot ... and I don't have to tamp very hard.
Getting wonderful results and superb crema ...

Thanks to everyone who responded ... just a fantastic set of advice.
And hopefully this thread will help out other newbies like myself.

Posted March 8, 2013 link

Excellent.
This thread WOULD help other noobs, IF they would take 5 minutes and use the SEARCH function.
Thanks for keeping an open mind. You'd be surprised how many new folks (and some experienced folks) don't.
I learn something nearly every day here, on HB, etc.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
ap8888

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 8:43pm

Mallory67 Said:

Ok .. First let me thank all the gurus out there are provided advice ... it was all good advice.

I am now pulling shots like a champ after doing the following:

- Upgraded to the  La Marzocco Double Portafilter Basket ($7)
- Got the new flat screen kit from pidsilvia.com ($20)
- Replaced the grinder with Baratza (my old grinder was not grinding fine at a setting of "4" ... and I could not choke it out even at a setting of "1").  Baratza had amazing support.

And of course ... some really fresh locally roasted coffee (as you all suggested).
Got some great stuff from Dilworth Coffee here in town and from Counter Culture Coffee upstate.

I am now using only about 14-16g of coffee for a double shot ... and I don't have to tamp very hard.
Getting wonderful results and superb crema ...

Thanks to everyone who responded ... just a fantastic set of advice.
And hopefully this thread will help out other newbies like myself.

Posted March 8, 2013 link

I'm glad to hear everything worked out. The essential ingredient it seems is fresh beans.

But I still have a mystery of my own related to this topic. I can use the SAME identical ground (ground from a sealed bag of beans, unknown roast date) on my brand new Rocket Cellini and my old Saeco Veneto and actually get plenty more crema on my old little Saeco. Why is this?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 9:04pm

ap8888 Said:

But I still have a mystery of my own related to this topic. I can use the SAME identical ground (ground from a sealed bag of beans, unknown roast date) on my brand new Rocket Cellini and my old Saeco Veneto and actually get plenty more crema on my old little Saeco. Why is this?

Posted March 29, 2013 link

Just a guess, Pressurized PF, unless you replaced it.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

Pressurized can make "crema" out of stones.  If you are unpressurized, I am not so sure.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
ap8888

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 9:11pm

D4F Said:

Just a guess, Pressurized PF, unless you replaced it.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

Pressurized can make "crema" out of stones.  If you are unpressurized, I am not so sure.

Posted March 29, 2013 link

Brilliant -- got it now.

Thank you!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Crema Gods Help...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.36436009407)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+