Espresso: Questions and Answers
STALE beans???
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > STALE beans???  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 5:36pm
Subject: STALE beans???

I am awaiting the arrival of my fresh roast beans, and decided to try out the beans I saw at a local Italian sandwich shop. The beans are from Italy and called "Barbera". There was no roast date and the bag was not vacuumed sealed. It was also sitting on a shelf with many other bags, probably for some time. I pulled a shot and it started out very black, no crema, and after 10 seconds blonded. I redialed and got better results, but there is virtually no crema. The drink is watery and mostly bitter to taste. It goes from black to blonde and has no tiger striping (naked pf). I am new and have always used fresh beans. These beans are imported from italy and are called Barbera Aroma. I am guessing this is the results of stale beans? They taste well ... stale? Is this what you get when you have stale beans? Its barely passable in milk drinks.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 9:17am
Subject: Re: STALE beans???

tdifraia Said:

I am awaiting the arrival of my fresh roast beans, and decided to try out the beans I saw at a local Italian sandwich shop. The beans are from Italy and called "Barbera". There was no roast date and the bag was not vacuumed sealed. It was also sitting on a shelf with many other bags, probably for some time. I pulled a shot and it started out very black, no crema, and after 10 seconds blonded. I redialed and got better results, but there is virtually no crema. The drink is watery and mostly bitter to taste. It goes from black to blonde and has no tiger striping (naked pf). I am new and have always used fresh beans. These beans are imported from italy and are called Barbera Aroma. I am guessing this is the results of stale beans? They taste well ... stale? Is this what you get when you have stale beans? Its barely passable in milk drinks.

Posted March 16, 2013 link

Pretty much just stale beans.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 5:03pm

You could probably grind them for drip coffee and get something passable, maybe with lots of milk and sugar...

Sorry to hear you got burned. I'd probably just trash those beans and move on.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 7:44pm

+1 sorry to hear, but yeah that was wasted money as those beans sound most definitely stale

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
tdifraia

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 9:35am

Well live and learn. I paid $23 for 2 pounds. But I now understand just how important fresh beans are in producing tasty espresso and the symptoms of stale beans. They are just barely passable in milk drinks, but as for strait shots forget it. I also have been grinding them for drip, which really isn't that bad considering. Bot WOW it really made me appreciate fresh beans. I ordered a few pounds of Barrington Gold Blend on Thursday. My wife drinks a pot of drip a day, and said she liked the roast so it wont be a complete waste.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:30am

tdifraia Said:

I am guessing this is the results of stale beans? They taste well ... stale? Is this what you get when you have stale beans?

Exactly.

tdifraia Said:

Its barely passable in milk drinks.

I wouldn't consider it passable.  YMMV, of course.

Does Boston not have any local roasters?
tdifraia

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 5:11am

Yes Boston has a few really good ones. Theres barismo in Arlington, and Atomic Cafe in Salem. Both a few miles from me. There are plenty of Roasters out there so I have no excuses. This was just a purchase I made because of the positive reviews I was getting about this Italian restaurant. Come to find out the food is VG, the coffee not so good. I asked the sweet little Italian woman behind the counter if they were fresh, and she just smiled and shook her head up and down. I should of asked her in Italian, but I did not. I dont think she understood me in english.

takeshi Said:

Does Boston not have any local roasters?

Posted March 21, 2013 link

kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 6:30am

I've ordered from this place in Boston a few times. They had a few varitals that were hard to find.

http://www.flatblackcoffee.com/
tdifraia

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 5:23am

Thx 4 the tip, I  will look them up

kboom1 Said:

I've ordered from this place in Boston a few times. They had a few varitals that were hard to find.

http://www.flatblackcoffee.com/

Posted March 22, 2013 link

Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:29am

21 miles nnw of Boston is Acton Ma. and Terroir Coffee. I know it is a long jaunt, but George Howell is The Man in a lot of ways, wheather you agree re his feelings about espresso or not. The man who is responsible for The Cup of Excellence is a great roaster.

Skylar
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > STALE beans???  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337915897369)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+