Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Better shots without tamping?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Better shots...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 8:02am
Subject: Re: Better shots without tamping?

It's not important how hard you tamp as long as you do it consistently and level.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
volfro

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 9:44am

qualin Said:

Go out and buy a precision scale.

Posted March 17, 2013 link

Y'know, I've been meaning to do that. However, I use the timer function on the Preciso. Is that not consistent enough? (I mean, even if it over- or under-doses, as long as it does so on a consistent basis, it shouldn't matter, right?)

emradguy Said:

And just to be certain...the beans you are using are fresh? Roasted within two weeks or so?

Posted March 17, 2013 link

Yes, usually within a few days. I always buy fresh from the local guys.

calblacksmith Said:

You grind was off and you did not get it right or even close until you changed your thinking.

The reason for the tamp is to provide a consistent bed of coffee to be presented to the flow of water. It is NOT to adjust your shot time, YOUR GRINDER DOES THAT, a $200 tamper can not make up for a poor grinder or a poor grinder adjustment.

Posted March 18, 2013 link

I guess I've been thinking of tamping incorrectly the entire time: I saw extraction time as a function of both tamp AND grind. Everything I've read says do a 30 lb tamp, but I've seen Seattle Coffee Gear, for instance, adjust their tamp pressure to impact extraction time.

It makes intuitive sense, though: wouldn't grounds, more tightly-packed, restrict the flow of water to a greater degree? At least, that's the logic in my mind.

And if tamp pressure doesn't actually matter all that much, compared to grind, who decided it should be 30lbs? I mean I've literally been putting the tamper into the PF and pressing down just slightly, and giving it a couple of twists, and pulling 25-30 second shots.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:03am

volfro Said:

Y'know, I've been meaning to do that. However, I use the timer function on the Preciso. Is that not consistent enough? (I mean, even if it over- or under-doses, as long as it does so on a consistent basis, it shouldn't matter, right?)

not necessarily. grind will vary based on bean age, humidity, etc.  best to weigh the doses.  an appropriate scale should run you $20-40 depending on what you choose, (though I've read here they can be had cheaper).  one of many places to find one is www.oldwillknottscales.com

volfro Said:

Yes, usually within a few days. I always buy fresh from the local guys.

excellent!

volfro Said:

I guess I've been thinking of tamping incorrectly the entire time: I saw extraction time as a function of both tamp AND grind. Everything I've read says do a 30 lb tamp, but I've seen Seattle Coffee Gear, for instance, adjust their tamp pressure to impact extraction time.

It makes intuitive sense, though: wouldn't grounds, more tightly-packed, restrict the flow of water to a greater degree? At least, that's the logic in my mind.

And if tamp pressure doesn't actually matter all that much, compared to grind, who decided it should be 30lbs? I mean I've literally been putting the tamper into the PF and pressing down just slightly, and giving it a couple of twists, and pulling 25-30 second shots.

I don't know who came up with 30#s  The most important thing is to do it the same every time. I probably tamp at about 15-20#s (not that that matters) psi at the time of extraction is in the ballpark of 135, so don't worry too much about your exact pressure. Just get it somewhere in the 20-50 range and all should be good once you learn the feel and get your grind where you want it.  Twisting and banging are typically frowned upon these days, mainly because they may fracture the dry puck and promote channeling.  There's a great place to read more on tamping, distribution, etc... www.espressomyespresso.com ... article 12 under how to (Easy guide to better espresso at home).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
volfro

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 6:41pm

That's a really awesome how-to link--thanks. Hadn't seen that one before.
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 11:33pm

Whatever tamping pressure you choose, it's absolutely overwhelmed by the pressures on the puck from the shot-making process itself.

If you tamp a 58mm basket with 30 pounds of pressure, you will be delivering just a little less than 7 1/2 pounds per square inch of pressure to the surface of the puck.  Then ... a moment later your espresso machine will hit that same puck surface with (typically about) 9 bar - which translates to 130 PSI, or a total of more than 530 pounds of pressure on that same surface.  

So other than putting the coffee puck in good order to start the shot, our little tamp of a paltry 30 lbs - or 40 lbs - or 10 lbs - or 70 lbs - just isn't going to make a hill of coffee beans' worth of difference once the real pressure starts.

This also goes some distance to explaining why the bottoms of baskets become warped and occasionally split open in heavy cafe use.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 4:38am

So tamping is the least important part, that is if you already know how to tamp with consistent pressure and can tamp level with out thought otherwise it is very important. Water will take the path of least resistance, tamp out of level and one side will over extract while the other side will over extract. Tamp with different pressure and shot flow will be different ever time. When I do a bean change and getting the grinder dialed in for the new beans the first couple of grinds may be finer or courser then desired, if I know it is to fine I will tamp lightly, 10lbs and if I know it is to course I will tamp heavy, 30lbs, otherwise I tamp at 20lbs consistently.

I see posts over the years of stale beans being the problem for poor pulls, I just don't get that, flat boring taste yes but inconsistency? Ok so I don't roast into second crack so even my stale beans only have a spot of oil on them, very oily beans may be inconsistent when stale ( posiable even fresh idk). even thinking about oily dark beans makes me cringe, especially stale ones, that oil is oxidized and rancid and probably leaving nastiness behind in the grinder and machine.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Better shots...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.326216936111)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+