Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
How Long Does Coffee Last When Unopened?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How Long Does...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
inopethflames

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 12:29am
Subject: How Long Does Coffee Last When Unopened?

how long do whole coffee beans last if they are in their original unopened packaging?  & how long do they last if you store the beans in one of the coffee-bean sealed jars/containers?  thanks!!
 View Profile Link to this post
AntWilliams90
AntWilliams90

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario Home
Roaster: Dieckmann Rostmeister
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 1:39am
Subject: Re: How Long Does Coffee Last When Unopened?

I am assuming you mean roasted beans?

The answer will vary, but;

Bought from a local roaster/has a date of roasting on the bag? - Sealed, and stored in a cool dry environment (e.g. cupboard) they will last 15-21 days from the date of roasting
Bought from a supermarket/no date of roasting? - It's pretty impossible to tell...they're likely already past the 15-21 day stage, so best to use them ASAP

Keeping beans in a kilner jar helps, but only as much as an unopened airtight bag does...nothing magic about a glass jar with an air-tight lid! ;)

As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 4:47am

Once you cook your meat for dinner how long will it last in a refer?
The question is the same, only the subject has changed.

When you roast coffee beans, you cook them so to speak. The clock is then running and every day you delay using them once they outgass (about 3 days) they are going down hill. How long are you willing to cut up and use that roast in the fridge?  One week? Two weeks, until it turns green?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 9:28am

As callblacksmith indicated, the bag or other storage method for coffee on a store shelf does virtually nothing to keep the coffee fresh. Nor does packing in nitrogen or vacuum. Once roasted the clock starts, and within a minute of opening the container or bag the beans are virtually as old as they would have been if left in an open, brown paper sack left in the dark. And I suppose that this points to the once true protection that the bag give is keeping the beans from light which is third on the degradation list (oxygen and heat being the first two).

Coffee staling is a chemical process which a bag does not stop.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 4:57am

For espresso you will get good results within 3 weeks in a Kraft coffee bag (no valve). After 3 weeks you notice the pale crema telling you your beans are going stale.  For drip if sealed foil bags you can get close to a month and still tastes good (not best).  I drank 1yr old + of Kona ground drip coffee.  Still tasted great. You can notice the staleness but was still a good cup.  Some age roasted coffee because they love the taste.  I heard Sumatra's are good for this.  

For long term stock I would look into buying green and roasting yourself.  Green can last up to 2 years with optimal taste.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 7:33am

I disagree with 3 weeks.  Personally, and generally, I use coffee til' about day 10 out of the roaster, for espresso.  Sometimes, I can push it to day 12.  But right around that almost 2 week mark, there is a very noticeable change, where the flavors flatten and the shots become harsh and thin.

I have noticed that, if I leave coffee it its vacuum sealed one way valve bag till about day 8 or 9, then it tastes a bit fresher then if I had opened that bag on day 3 or so.  Usually only by a day or two or three, but hey, its something.  As for normal storing procedures, what I have been doing for the past year or so, is leaving the coffee in the one way valve bag for the entire time Im using it, and putting that bag, rolled up and clipped, into an "airtight" container.  I say "airtight", because Im less than pleased with these OXO push top containers Ive been using, compared to my old containers(forget the brand).  I notice the coffee staling quicker if I just dump the beans right into that container.  I have been meaning to get new containers.

Everyone has thier own tastes and standards.  For me, for espresso, most of the time, around day 10 is when Im done with using that coffee for espresso.

Im much more lax when it comes to brewed coffee, which I will stretch to 3 weeks if I need too.  I can notice the difference after a week, sure.. but the much more gentle brewing process of, well, BREWING, allows me to get a bit more time out the bean.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
inopethflames

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:14am

i got 2 products from wholelattelove because it was 50% off:

Lavazza Qualita Rossa Whole Bean Medium Roast Espresso Coffee - 2.2lb bag

Filicori Zecchini Espresso Blend - 2.2lb bag

so it sounds like from now on i wouldnt really wanna get that much beans at once because im not going to be using 4.4 lbs of coffee within 10 days or whatever.  or do packaged products like this have a longer 'shelf' life, i mainly want it for espresso but i can make regular coffee with this also.

thanks!!
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:33am

I only let my roasted beans last for a week, 10 days is already a stretch. The "good" taste is never the same.
I leave them in the original packaging, then into an "airtight" bag same as Jmanespresso.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 3:36am

inopethflames Said:

how long do whole coffee beans last if they are in their original unopened packaging?

Posted March 11, 2013 link

The answer largely depends on who you ask. Most people on this forum believe in Babbie's Rule of Fifteens and will advocate that roasted beans eventually will go stale after two weeks, which is why they only buy coffee that comes with a roasting date. Industrial roasters like Illy, Lavazza, or Segafredo Zanetti, for example, will tell you that stored properly inside an industrial packaging roasted beans will remain fresh up to two years.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 7:58am

NobbyR Said:

The answer largely depends on who you ask. Most people on this forum believe in Babbie's Rule of Fifteens and will advocate that roasted beans eventually will go stale after two weeks, which is why they only buy coffee that comes with a roasting date. Industrial roasters like Illy, Lavazza, or Segafredo Zanetti, for example, will tell you that stored properly inside an industrial packaging roasted beans will remain fresh up to two years.

Posted March 15, 2013 link

I am not going to argue with them either but once the can is open you have less then 24hrs before those beans are stale.

I have had Yemen beans that took 3 weeks to even become drinkable and where best at 25days old. Robusta beans IMO are undrinkable fresh, they have to be aged until stale to be usable in a blend. I could argue that some beans for espresso are only delicious on day 6,7, and 8 and are plain Jane on all other days other beans I roast change drastically from day 4 to day 15 and are delicious the entire time. So my answer is it depends.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How Long Does...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300102949142)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+