Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
RO Water and bottled water
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > RO Water and...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: S1 Dream & Expobar Brewtus...
Grinder: E37S and a K3
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot, and...
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 9:17am
Subject: Re: RO Water and bottled water

Having my ice maker fed with RO piping in 1/2" copper pipe L grade, for 11 years now and no leaking or any type of break down. I never seen rain water destroy a copper line outside. Some would say soft ware contains salt water, but thats untrue too. I could see someone saying softwater would ruin copper pies due to the salt content, but that doesnt fly either. My TechV coffee maker for 10 years with RO never failed me, Now with different hard water I get scalling and need the TV cleaned every 3 months.
 View Profile Link to this post
mewanchuk

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat May 16, 2015, 2:19pm

(Reviving this topic, as the issue has recently come up for me...)

So I have a 3-stage RO system (Watts Premier--Purchased from Costco some time ago...) and was recently told by my vendor that the water is potentially CORROSIVE to the copper boiler on my machine.  He recommended removing the system entirely, or else adding a "CalCar" filter to replace "essential minerals".

Aside from the conductivity/sensor issue, has anyone heard of this?  

I have purchase the Calcar cartridge as a stop-gap measure, but ultimately plan to remove the system.  It doesn't seem to make sense to completely "purify" the water, and then add the minerals back...

Unfortunately I initially had problems with scale build-up before the system was installed (which is why I put it in in the first place...)

Will a standard one-stage household water-softening filter cartridge be sufficient?

Thanks for any insight,
Mark
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 19, 2015, 7:23am

No one can tell you what will be sufficient and you'll have to test your water to make sure. The one stage systems usually exchange hardness for sodium, and its been discussed that sodium does not extract that well.

I completely agree that ppm in the 40 range can be corrosive. However, you don't need to add more hardness to correct it and can add some bicarbonate. I don't know if any plumb in systems do this as I generally make my own water using pour over on my machine. IT also seems that hardness that is more magnesium heavy wont scale as much and appears to extract better.
Nunas

Espresso: Magister Stella Pro, Bodum...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Breville...
Vac Pot: Yama SY8
Drip: Chemex CM-8A, Nissan Plunger
Roaster: Freshroast SR500 & SR700
Posted Tue May 19, 2015, 4:27pm

She stated that a 3 stage RO system (which mine is) is fine to use as there will still be enough minerals in the water, it is about 40 parts per million and you want it under 50.  A 5 stage would be too much filtration to work properly for this use

Nonsense.  I have experience with many RO systems from big desalinators on motoryachts to under-sink units.  The TDS does not vary anything like stated.  Once the system is run in, a typical 5-stage runs at about 5-8 ppm.  and a 3-stage only a little more.  The membrane stage controls the bulk of the filtration.  The first stage or two does nothing except keep crap out of the membrane.  There is usually one ahead of the membrane to remove chlorine.  After stages are typically carbon blocks to remove residual taste from voc (volatile organic compounds).  A few have injector block cartridges that put a measured amount of 'hardness' back into the water.

FWIW, my spouse and I have had RO systems for years in our boats, motohome and houses.  They all have worked just fine in every coffee maker we've owned, right up to our current Magister.  A slave to conventional wisdom though, we now put about 20% tap water, just in case the sensor really does need it.

Also dead wrong is the statement that I've read a few times in these pages that that your body must have the elements in untreated water.  Hogwash.  The trace elements in most water are insignificant, compared to those found in any reasonable diet consisting or the basic food groups.

We've consumed the stuff nearly exclusively for nearly 20-years, bathed in it, washed our clothes in it and flushed it down the loo.  Our dentist assures us that our teeth are not going to fall out and none of our plumbing has corroded away.

There...I've got that off my chest...going back to sleep!

www.nunas.com
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > RO Water and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2015 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.212001085281)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+