Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
double shot
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > double shot  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 3:20pm
Subject: double shot

I am dosing my double basket with 16.3 g and am getting 1.3 oz at 28 seconds before I have to stop the shot (Blonding). I would like to get 2 oz. I tried going finer, using the same dose (16.3 g), but the pour was too restricted (1.7 g ~ 42 secs.)
The shot taste pretty good but is running too long and is kind of cool. How can I get 2 oz and keep the pull under 30 seconds... Should I:
  1. Adjust the grind finer and use less of a dose?
  2. Adjust the grind coarser but use more of a dose?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 2:17am
Subject: Re: double shot

If you only get 1.3 oz (about 38 ml) in 28 seconds, you'll have to grind coarser in order to get more espresso using the same dose or grind even coaser and use a higher dose. Alternatively you could use a smaller dose using the same grind or a combination of a smaller dose and a finer grind to get the results you're looking for. Several combinations of dose and grind might lead to the same volume. You'll have to dome some experimention to find out what tastes best to you.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 2:25am

If you're blonding early you could be under extracting.  Use more coffee, updose to 17 or even 17.5 g and keep the grind the same or go a bit coarser.   BUT if the shot tastes bitter and woody, you're actually over extracting due to too high a temp and too fine a grind.  Keep the dose the same, and lower the temp, try grinding coarser instead of finer to get down to 22-25 seconds.
At the end of the day, taste will tell.  Sour is under extraction, solved by grinding finer, updosing or raising temps.  Bitter is over extraction solved by grinding coarser, dosing less or lowering temps.
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 4:33am

tdifraia Said:

I am dosing my double basket with 16.3 g and am getting 1.3 oz at 28 seconds before I have to stop the shot (Blonding). I would like to get 2 oz. I tried going finer, using the same dose (16.3 g), but the pour was too restricted (1.7 g ~ 42 secs.)
The shot taste pretty good but is running too long and is kind of cool. How can I get 2 oz and keep the pull under 30 seconds... Should I:
Adjust the grind finer and use less of a dose?
Adjust the grind coarser but use more of a dose?

Posted February 28, 2013 link

I would suggest you to fix one of those, for example the grinding.  Then, you can adjust the amount of the dose and compare the tastes, until you get the best taste.

If you cannot get the best tastes, grind courser but not too much and keep it as it is.  Then, adjust the amount of dose again until you get the best tastes.

It is our way of adjusting.  You can try it.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > double shot  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229945898056)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+