Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Struggling with low extraction time / high pressure
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Struggling with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 12:16pm
Subject: Re: Struggling with low extraction time / high pressure

bendavis78 Said:

frcn: I've ready your article before, great stuff! What's your opinion on the pre-infusion time? Does pre-infusion count towards total shot time?

Posted February 23, 2013 link

I stopped timing shots a LONG time ago. Once in a while I glance at a clock for laughs, but you can pull good shots in 20 seconds of 40 seconds. If the espresso tastes good, and you can do it consistently shot after shot, then you can play with other variables which may or may not affect taste, but all that matters is taste. Time means nothing. of course, it can be an indicator, and if you are pulling 15 second, 60ml shots and it tastes bad, that short of time will be obvious, but then it becomes a matter of what caused it- again, time was just an indicator and nto a benchmark. I suppose it becomes a matter of semantics, but once you get a feel for an extraction that lasts from ABOUT 25 to 35 seconds you are in the ballpark, and from then on just sip the espresso and ignore the clock.

I think my bad tasting espresso from last time was because it was over-extracted, not bad distribution. Nonetheless, I'm using the weiss distribution technique to make sure that's not a factor. I've started measuring my shots into a 2oz shot glass and realized they were coming out *very* ristretto (just around 1oz when hitting the button for a double). So, I dialed back the grind more and got the right volume, but now the extraction seems too fast to me.

Waste a pound of coffee experimenting- pull shots with small doses ground fine. Then pull some with larger doses ground more coarse. Do them all to ABOUT 60ml and ABOUT 25-30 seconds. You should be able to learn the difference by look and taste. Form there you can zero in on teh correct dose and matching grind by taste. You will have learned the difference between over-extraction and under-extraction just by watching. That one pound of "wasted coffee" will pay you back with massive interest over the next decade.

You need to get a gram scale that can weigh to .1 grams. Keeping a consistent dose while varying the grind is critical. That is the science part of all this. Keep all factors constant and have one variable, the grind. When that range is exhausted in terms of taste, then add a bit or subtract a bit to the chosen dose and readjust grind accordingly. You will eventually zero in on what matches your taste preferences.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Struggling with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.210715055466)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+