Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Pulling a shot, time, or measure?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Pulling a shot,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CincyChris

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:36am
Subject: Pulling a shot, time, or measure?

Just wondering how most pull shots?  By time?  I have been using a measuring shot glass, but that messes with art, etc.  

Have things dialed in to where I'm pulling a double shot in 25-30 seconds, but just have been afraid to move away from the measuring glass.

Thanks,
Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:55am
Subject: Re: Pulling a shot, time, or measure?

you're going to get answers from several perspectives on this one, and everyone will have their reasons why you must do it this way or that way.  I think you need to pick which one works for you and do it consistently.  you can run your shot for a specified time, volume or weight or until it looks done.

Me, well...I use a combination of time and appearance primarily.  In my world, it works to watch the shot and stop it when "it's done", but I also run a timer along side it.  I typically will modify my grind based on how the shots are running and how long they take. I always use the same dose weight, but I also make adjustments to dose and grind depending on flavor profile. For instance, if I've been running shots till done and it's taking 30 seconds, but I want to bring out certain flavors, I'll modify my grind so that they're done at say...oh, 35 seconds, or change the dose slightly, or change the temperature they're extracting at.

I think the real point is to be consistent.  If you want to modify something, do it one variable at a time and do it in a way that you know exactly what you did different.  That way, you can go back where you were, make a second modification or make a modification in the opposite direction and not get lost.  I know this last part doesn't help you choose your method for maintaining precision, but other will chime in about how they do it different from me and why they do things the way they do...and that'll give you another body of thought to consider.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 10:27am

well...I'm kind of surprised you haven't gotten other responses yet.

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:02pm

You said it well.  Not much to add.

I measure my grinds and use a timer.  I weighed shots at the start when I wanted to learn how to judge them but now I go by look and feel.  Reading the cone collapse on a naked portafilter is easier than telling what color is "blonde"

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 1:00pm

CincyChris Said:

Just wondering how most pull shots?  

Posted February 14, 2013 link

There is only one "correct" answer - BY TASTE!

The time and volume figures are STARTING POINTS only. They give you an idea as to whether you are on the right track. From there, nothing Else matters but how it tastes to you. How do you find out? You make a lot of freaking coffee over a long time and you drink them, and if you have learned to control the process, you make little changes in dose, grind, pressure, temperature, blend, and roast, (among other things) and in the end you learn what you like.

It is a tendency to fall into a rut when you think all is good only to later find (after many pounds or even many months, or even years) that there was a way to make it better.

You do not NEED to brew at 203, you do not NEED to use 15.725 grams of coffee, you do not NEED to tamp at 32.5 pounds... UNLESS it makes the best coffee you can make.

IGNORE THE RULES - YOU DO NOT RINK THE RULES.  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 1:31pm

Thanks Helen!

...and to echo Randy (frcn) focus on the technique and consistency then modify to taste.  He has an aexcellent howto article on his website www.espressomyespresso.com, called "easy guide to better espresso at home"  I highly recommend reading it.  In fact, I tend to look it over every 6 months or so, just to "re-center" myself.

hollyan

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 7:10am

+1 ignore the rules, +1 taste. I've had good shots that would be considered too "short" in time and volume) and too "long" (again, in time and volume). As you get started, the rules are useful, but as you go along, I think your subjective judgment and experience are a far better gauge of what constitutes a good shot of espresso.
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:15am

EXCELLENT advice. Thanks for this post.

emradguy Said:

you're going to get answers from several perspectives on this one, and everyone will have their reasons why you must do it this way or that way.  I think you need to pick which one works for you and do it consistently.  you can run your shot for a specified time, volume or weight or until it looks done.

Me, well...I use a combination of time and appearance primarily.  In my world, it works to watch the shot and stop it when "it's done", but I also run a timer along side it.  I typically will modify my grind based on how the shots are running and how long they take. I always use the same dose weight, but I also make adjustments to dose and grind depending on flavor profile. For instance, if I've been running shots till done and it's taking 30 seconds, but I want to bring out certain flavors, I'll modify my grind so that they're done at say...oh, 35 seconds, or change the dose slightly, or change the temperature they're extracting at.

I think the real point is to be consistent.  If you want to modify something, do it one variable at a time and do it in a way that you know exactly what you did different.  That way, you can go back where you were, make a second modification or make a modification in the opposite direction and not get lost.  I know this last part doesn't help you choose your method for maintaining precision, but other will chime in about how they do it different from me and why they do things the way they do...and that'll give you another body of thought to consider.

Posted February 14, 2013 link

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Pulling a shot,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290986061096)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+