Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What are the thickest espresso cups in the world?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What are the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
coffeeapostle
coffeeapostle
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Brikka 2 cup
Grinder: Krupps GVX231
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 6:35pm
Subject: Re: What are the thickest espresso cups in the world?

frcn Said:

Andy makes a good point that we sort of overlooked. What is your goal? Good feel when you lift it? Stronger to lower chance of breakage? Cooling the espresso quicker? Keeping the espresso warmer longer? Etc.?  And then we need to know, what cups are you using now? What aren't act of omission or commission needs to be addressed, if any?

Posted February 7, 2013 link

Yeah, I hadn't actually thought it through to this extent to be honest.

This thread is turning out exactly how I wanted it to, thanks guys...

So I guess for me, optimally, an espresso cup should have all those qualities (except the cooling quickly, which for me wouldn't be a quality!)

For me, the good feel when you lift it comes from the weight; I like things chunky. The thickness is more about what it feels like when you take a sip. I don't know, it just feels like a cool thing. As for the handle, well that always seems to be a compromise. The illy handle is the perfect handle for me. Stick one on the *old* NP Sorrento Andy quoted and we might well be in business!

I'm guessing a heavier, thicker cup will naturally be resistent to breakages, so no need to worry about that.

I definitely don't want a cup that cools the espresso down, no! So far I've been preheating my cups with boiling water and finding they stay warm long enough for me to drink the espresso.

As I said, I'm using illy logo cups. For me they are the epitome of espresso cups, but I'm just after something a little more novel to add to my collection, not replace it.

--------------------

"What aren't act of omission or commission needs to be addressed, if any?"

Forgive me, but I didn't quite understand that last bit!

One man's meat is another man's poison.
~Lucretius
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 7:37pm

Sweet Maria's has some 3/8" thick cups. Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com) I have one that weights 168.05g and another with SMs logo on it 172.74g. Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com) these may be worth an email to ask their weight, I have a different style with SMS logo that weights 142.74g. I do like the thick walled espresso cups.
coffeeapostle
coffeeapostle

Espresso: Bialetti Brikka 2 cup
Grinder: Krupps GVX231
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 8:15pm

germantownrob Said:

Sweet Maria's has some 3/8" thick cups. Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com) I have one that weights 168.05g and another with SMs logo on it 172.74g. Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com) these may be worth an email to ask their weight, I have a different style with SMS logo that weights 142.74g. I do like the thick walled espresso cups.

Posted February 7, 2013 link

Thanks man,

Unfortunately no international shipping on them though, otherwise I'd have probably gone for them.

I know (or am assuming by the name) that they are Nuova Point Sorrentos, and not some other brand who's copied the model, but I never realised they were 3/8" thick until now! Crazy.

I think that's as thick as I really need to go... much more and I'm sure I'd start having to trade porcelain for sanity.

As for the SM logo cups, one thing I did forget to mention is that I want a completely plain cup. I'm starting to really like the chocolate brown of the Sorrentos though, so when all is said and done I may end up sourcing them somewhere where I can get them internationally posted.

But the verdict is still out by all means! Keep those bombs a droppin'...

One man's meat is another man's poison.
~Lucretius
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 1:34pm

In the FWIW mode, here are the two different demitasse that I use on a regular basis.  

On the left is an Elektra logo demitasse, made of porcelain by Inker in Croatia; on the right is a double-walled, stainless steel (18/10 inox) demitasse made by Fabrosk in Italy.

Both cups keep the espresso hot, albeit the stainless for a longer period of time.  The Inker is not the thickest I've ever used -- that "title" belongs to an old set of brown-and-white cups (ACF? Nuova Point?) that I lost in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake -- but these work quite well and feel good in hand and against my lip.  The Fabrosk work better from a heat-retention standpoint, but don't feel as nice against my lip -- they can sometimes be too hot if I take them right from the top of my espresso machine; that said, I will use these when taking my espresso with me in the car.

JasonBrandtLewis: demitasse.JPG
(Click for larger image)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What are the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270292043686)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+