Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Naked Portafilter issues
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Naked...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 1:37am
Subject: Re: Naked Portafilter issues

those spritzers definitely indicate channeling.  

curious about how old your coffee is.  It's starts off pretty dark and seems to start flowing pretty early.

as long as the coffee is fresh and isnt the issue, i'd work on a distribution routine that will prevent the channeling.  

WDT, pitcher distribution, tapping to settle, etc.  find something that works for you(and your shop?).
 View Profile Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 3:09pm

Thats not terrible.  It could use work, but your on the right track.

Try the WDT.  As for tamping, the actual pressure you tamp with isn't critical.  What IS, is that your consistent each time you tamp.

WDT plus a level tamp should solve any issues you're seeing.  Maybe even read up on the Nutate tamp, Im a personal fan of that method as well.  And though I dont currently WDT myself, I have advocated it since I knew what it was.  Even if you've got a great grinder, its not going to hurt...

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
gainingexperience

Espresso: Stovetop
Grinder: Hario Ceramic Slim
Drip: Beehouse dripper
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 3:41pm

The coffee is fresh. It is roasted within days of use. When we get it, it has oil all over it. I am really not a fan of it and prefer the LaVazza that I used one day that was a couple months old, but freshly ground. The crema and taste are light years beyond delicious compared with what my boss wants to use, but I digress.
My tamps are consistent. Distribution is a more likely issue, methinks.
Would you describe the WDT technique, please?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 4:11pm

Stir with a thin metal probe.  I use turkey lacers.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 5:10pm

yeah, that's about all WDT is...stir the grinds.  Some people use a large sewing needle.  As you see above, Helen uses a Turkey lacer.  You could just as easily use a toothpick.

Beans slathered in oil are typically over-roasted.   By "over-roasted" I mean, the flavors imparted to the bean from carmelization during roasting, overshadow the flavors inherent in the bean from terroir.  This is likely why you are not a big fan of it.  Maybe you can introduce the boss to good coffee?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
gainingexperience

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 9:56pm

I tried the WDT and it did not really help very much. All that I had available was a thermometer and skewer for stirring so I assume that could be an issue. I will pick up some some toothpicks before going into work again and get a yogurt container so that I can vigorously stir the grounds while they are in the basket and see if that helps as well.  
I have tried talking to my boss about the coffee selection, but he has shut me down already about it. I would rather not aggravate him anymore. Once I buy some more coffee, I will see how he likes it and maybe that will convince him that our current roaster is sub-par.

Thank you all, again, for all of the suggestions and help.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:03pm

it's possible what you need isn't WDT.  have you read the "easy guide to better espresso at home" on www.espressomyespresso.com ?  oh, sorry...I already posted that suggestion...my bad...unless of course, you didn't read it...hmmm

frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:06pm

emradguy Said:

it's possible what you need isn't WDT.  have you read the "easy guide to better espresso at home" on www.espressomyespresso.com ?  oh, sorry...I already posted that suggestion...my bad...unless of course, you didn't read it...hmmm

Posted February 13, 2013 link

LOL!

I tried the WDT once... just once. With the same dose and the same grind setting, I WDT'd. It nearly choked the machine and what came out in the first 30 seconds was dark and nasty. I theorize that I had good grind particle size range and distribution and the stirring allowed the fines to settle at the bottom of the basket.

Once again, a data point for "do what works and don't bother with what doesn't make a difference or what makes things worse."

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gainingexperience

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 6:38am

I will definitely read it when I have the time. Between 40 worth of homework and reading throughout the week makes that much extracurricular reading a difficult thing (though I would much rather just deal with espresso...).
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:17am

gainingexperience Said:

I will definitely read it when I have the time. Between 40 worth of homework and reading throughout the week makes that much extracurricular reading a difficult thing (though I would much rather just deal with espresso...).

Posted February 14, 2013 link

ok, that's fair...sort of...

Think of it this way.  Your time would be better spent reading that guide than logging in to this forum, reading a couple of posts and then typing a response - if you must choose between the two.  Not saying you shouldn't come here, or that you won't get valuable advice here (in fact, I know firsthand that this forum is extremely valuable). But from an efficiency standpoint, you're going to get a lot more out of that article, in terms of improving your shots, than you will on the forum, when you look at it in time vs benefit.

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Naked...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318178892136)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+