Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Pressure Bars: What is the minimum acceptable level to get thick CREMA?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Pressure Bars:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cremagourmand

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 2:08pm
Subject: Re: Pressure Bars: What is the minimum acceptable level to get thick CREMA?

That's too bad Emradguy. When you look at buying a coffee machine for $1,000.00 and the cost of good coffee for over $16/pound it seems a lot to spend on a machine for the convenience of not having to go out for coffee.

I did read the guide you included and have seen some machines in my research that were classified as semi automatics that fit my criteria. I can see where if there were more people in the office that wanted good espresso it might make it economical to spend more then a thousand dollars. This conversation gets me back to my original question without the budget:

What machines are going to be automatic or considered semi automatic by some, that will give me great crema?

Thanks for sticking with me.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 2:39pm
Subject: Re: Pressure Bars: What is the minimum acceptable level to get thick CREMA?

A semi automatic you have to in gage the brew water and disingage to stop the flow of water.
An automatic espresso machine only gives an amount of water at a push of a button, it does not dose and tamp for you.
A super automatic grinds, doses and tamps to make crappy espresso for a large amount of money and break down rather quickly and that are the $2000 ones.

If you want great espresso then a real person has to make it, if *$s espresso tastes good then a supper automatic would fit the bill, that's what they use.

An espresso machine is nothing more then a hot water delivery system. 9 bars is the accepted pressure for water to be delivered to the grinds for proper extraction of espresso. There are plenty of machines that fit this bill for not much money, these basic machines can deliver the specs but the operator will jump through hoops to make it happen consistently. To make multiple milk based drinks in a timely fashion SBDU will fail, Heat Exchange machines can do this but the cost starts around $800.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 3:13pm

in an office with everyone using it I am going to suggest pods or capsules.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 7:18pm

cremagourmand Said:

What machines are going to be automatic or considered semi automatic by some, that will give me great crema?

Posted January 21, 2013 link

ANY semi-automatic or full-automatic machine of decent quality will give you crema, but -- again -- don't focus on the wrong thing.  Crema can be a sign that the espresso is of good quality, made from fresh beans; but it is not -- in and of itself -- the be all to end all.

cremagourmand Said:

The machine has to be semi or fully automatic (no packing of the coffee its gotta be done by the machine)

You are NOT describing a semi- or full-automatic.  You are describing a super-automatic.  ONLY super-automatics will "pack the coffee," PERIOD.

cremagourmand Said:

(It would seem that a grinder as part of the machine would be best)

There are a handful of semi-autos that contain grinders -- but none that I'd really recommend.

cremagourmand Said:

And it has to produce great coffee no matter who is operating the machine

Yes, well -- "great coffee" and super-auto are hardly compatible.  But "consistently good" to "consistently very good" IS possible.

cremagourmand Said:

On average it needs to make 2-3 cups around the same time
Weekly average of cups less then 10
Equal split between milk drinks and espresso
We might be able to boost the amps to 20 I am not sure. I guess we should count on 15.

I'd look to Seattle Coffee Gear and/or to Whole Latte Love . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 7:20pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

in an office with everyone using it I am going to suggest pods or capsules.

Yet another viable option, save for the milk . . . although I think Nespresso actually has a way to do the milk, too.

cremagourmand

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 7:30pm

I thought that great or really good coffee was impossible with preground coffee as is in the capsules or pods?

I have been looking at whole latte love and Ebay and would love a recommendation given the parameters I have outlined and I could be flexible regarding automation. Thanks.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 7:55pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Yes, well -- "great coffee" and super-auto are hardly compatible.  But "consistently good" to "consistently very good" IS possible.

Not under 1k though!

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Yet another viable option, save for the milk . . . although I think Nespresso actually has a way to do the milk, too.

The Nespresso Aerocino frother is pretty decent (as long as you don't expect microfoam), and costs about $100

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
cremagourmand

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:02pm

100 dollars for good crema?!? Gee whiz I could buy 10 LOL!

You are a funny Emradguy! Thanks for the laugh :)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:19pm

Convenience and quality are at opposite ends of the see-saw . . .

Thus, espresso that is made by hand (lever, semi-, or full-auto) will always be better in quality than one made completely by machine (super-auto).  BUT . . . you'll run into the situation where not everyone will be able to make their own.  People do need to be trained learn how to use a semi- or full-auto, as opposed to a super-auto where all one has to do is walk up, push a button and . . . done!

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 9:23pm

cremagourmand Said:

100 dollars for good crema?!? Gee whiz I could buy 10 LOL!

You are a funny Emradguy! Thanks for the laugh :)

No, $100 for ok frothed milk...not crema!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Pressure Bars:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3919069767)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+