Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Hi i'm new here, and my bugatti Diva is new in my house..
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hi i'm new here,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ZzLine
ZzLine
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Francis Francis X3
Grinder: The point is to ENJOY THE...
Roaster: Dualit--> The English Verson...
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:38am
Subject: Re: Hi i'm new here, and my bugatti Diva is new in my house..

So so so.. Dave! ;-)

When you're finished with your heart attak then read: I approach slowly to a crema Espresso here.
And the fact that you owned a MM a hundred years ago, ones we in Norway know - it's that things are constantly being developed and preferably for the better! rehearse rehearse rehearse .. that I'm working on while you sit on the other side of the pond and watching the (my) horror going on;-)

Also to contribute to your knowledge about Norway:
We are a stubborn people, and especially me! Some themes stand out from the average Norwegian, and that's me.

In year 2000 I bought a cabin with outdoor toilet and water faucet was no platitude.
Everyone said that the water would freeze the first winter and that I would never survive (or manage) to stay there one winter even!
I lived there and happy too in which I was a single parent for 10 years and was did quite so well! ;-)
For information only, it is NOT normal to live like this in Norway anymore.
It is 100 years since they lived so - if not more.

XXX ;-)
 View Profile Link to this post
ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:45am

I know, Jason;-)

The first night I joined this forum and met "my" Dave - it was not a good day anyway and his welcome did not help.
I'm usually not so sart. I strain out what I want to read and what I do not want to read.

Dave is harmless and in his way - quite cute;-)
ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 4:09am

There is progress and it's starting to get crema here.
There are about one mm crema on top, but I want more crema, and it is possible, huh ..?

The settings on the grinder is three notches up from the finest setting, but how much shall I do the tamping?
Hard, flat and compact?

The tamper that came with the machine is slightly oval edges too, so I'm looking for a flat tamper.

Otherwise, the beans with a use-by date in May is set away in an air / light tight box long inside a dry cabinet.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 7:09am

Your beans are stale.

There are two dates that could be on the bag.
1) the day the beans were ROASTED
2) a "best by" or "use by" date.

If you find the day the beans were roasted, you can then calculate how old they are.

If there is a best by date on the bag, they are hopelessly stale before you bought them. Only beans that come from a large coffee seller have a best by date on the bag as they want the consumer to feel like the product is fresh. It is NOT, coffee when used for espresso, is stale at about two weeks or 14 DAYS since it was roasted. The large coffee sellers beans age that much before they ever leave the factory, then they sit in a wherehouse, get trucked all over the world, sit in another wherehouse, get trucked to a store then sit on the shelf until you buy them and waste your money on beans that only should be used for plant food in your garden BEFORE you even think about grinding them for use in brewing coffee.

One of the hardest things we have when someone is new, to understand is that first, it is the grinder that is more important than the espresso machine AND that coffee is stale and worthless after 14 days from the day it was roasted on.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:00am

<--- As you can see from the photo of an espresso extraction I did, yes, more crema is very possible.
As callblacksmith stated, and I agree, your coffee is stale. Probably very stale. The basic advice is if a coffee has "best by" or "best if used by" on the package it is already stale. The only date on a package of coffee that has value is "roasted on."

Look for a local roaster or one that places the coffee in the post on the day it is roasted.

Espresso is coffee + hot water + pressure. All the taste comes from the coffee. Stale coffee = bad espresso.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:13am

frcn Said:

<--- As you can see from the photo of an espresso extraction I did, yes, more crema is very possible.
As callblacksmith stated, and I agree, your coffee is stale. Probably very stale. The basic advice is if a coffee has "best by" or "best if used by" on the package it is already stale. The only date on a package of coffee that has value is "roasted on."

Look for a local roaster or one that places the coffee in the post on the day it is roasted.

Espresso is coffee + hot water + pressure. All the taste comes from the coffee. Stale coffee = bad espresso.

Posted January 23, 2013 link

Does a Espresso look like that if the beans are stale?
frcn
frcn

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:56am

Stale beans will produce little or no crema because the oils, gases, and other elements have broken down or left the beans over time. Stale beans also can cause the person to have to grind finer then would normally be expected using fresh (not stale) beans.

Visit My Website
ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:01pm

Ok, cause my Espresso look like the pic you showed me, it's actually more crema and the nice pattern in the coffee when it's fresh hot.
I'll take a picture tomorrow and then my beans aren't stale after all!! :-D
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:09pm

ZzLine Said:

Ok, cause my Espresso look like the pic you showed me, it's actually more crema and the nice pattern in the coffee when it's fresh hot.
I'll take a picture tomorrow and then my beans aren't stale after all!! :-D

I don't think you are seeing the pic correctly, in the pic, it is ALL crema,  no coffee is to be seen in the pic. There is no way to have more!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
frcn
frcn

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 1:42pm

calblacksmith Said:

I don't think you are seeing the pic correctly, in the pic, it is ALL crema,  no coffee is to be seen in the pic. There is no way to have more!

If you look VERY carefully, there is about 1.5mm of black espresso liquid at the bottom of the cup. The cup is, indeed, as callbalcksmith states, all crema. Maybe too much in the opinion of some people, but it is an indication of fresh coffee, properly extracted. if left to sit for a minute or so it settles out to about 5 to 10mm of crema... and the point in the cup that the handle's tip points towards marks about 2.5oz. (approx. 75ml).

Visit My Website
showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hi i'm new here,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339538097382)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+