Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Help is needed to decide my espresso machine and grinder!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help is needed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 6:50am
Subject: Re: Help is needed to decide my espresso machine and grinder!

I own two Macap M4s, both stepless and both with doser, but one has a timer and the other a rocker on/off switch.

Rocker model:  newer (got it just over a year ago), used only for decaf.  I find the rocker is slightly difficult to press on/off (and it does annoy me), possible because of the rubber cover that protects it from moisture/contamination.  I would have preferred they put a roof over it and left it bare, or even put a toggle, rather than the rocker.  Anyhow, grind quality is great.  I get some clumping on this machine, possibly because of the decaf?  I've always owned dosers and like them for several reasons. However, whether ot go doser/doserless is really more of a preference in user style, rather than advantages/disadvantages.

Timer model: older unit (I think I got it in 2008 or 2009), used only for regular.  I find the timer runs too long for single dosing, even when set at the minimum time, so I always have to turn it off.  Thus it functions more like a regular on/off switch in my home.  It's a spring timer, and it's easy to turn.  For whatever reason, I guess Macap didn't see moisture/contamination being a problem with the timer version, so it's not "protected" like the rocker switch. I've never had any significant clumping from this grinder...as far as I can remember.

Macap M4s have been compared to Mazzer Mini's in several reviews and the two grinders are almost identically rated in all categories, with the Macap coming ahead on cleanliness (doser model) and adjustability (stepless model).  Grind quality, build quality and cupping reviews I've found (and I have looked extensively several times) show nearly imperceptible differences. The Macap dosers sweep very, very clean (and this has been noted in several reviews as well).  The only place to really clean between sessions is the chute and any counter spills.

I've not tried any grinders rated above this class, other than what's been served to me in cafes.  In part, because I am rather limited space wise (despite having a huge home).  If the future ever brings me a freestanding bar, instead of a breakfast nook...well, I'll be looking at bigger commercial grinders as an upgrade.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:20am

gearbolt Said:

Hi qualin,

Do you have any clumping and static issues with the Mazzer mini E type A grinder?
Thanks again.

David

Posted January 20, 2013 link

The grinder is greatly improved by removing the grid.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/mazzer-mini-e-modifications

I've had a Mini E for many years and I love it....but they have gone up in price quite a lot over the years.
gearbolt
gearbolt

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: Kona
Roaster: TBD
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 4:10pm

NobbyR Said:

Have you considered the Rocket Espresso Cellini Evoluzione V2? It has both option of using the internal water tank or plumbing, a rotary pump, and a standard E61 brew head.

Posted January 21, 2013 link

Thanks for the info.  I checked out this one and found that this is HX machine.    It is very comparable to the Alex Duetto
3.0.  For the battle of HX vs DB and base on the info I read (maybe I have the wrong impression), I prefer the DB since I
think for my case (not many consecutive shots), the temperature control will be tighter for a DB machine through the PID.   I also read one comment talking about the larger deadband for the seam pump.    The other reason for me to stick with Duetto is the numbers of the owners in this review site and the revisions of the machine.  Of course, at this moment , HX and DB to me is the same and these two machines are all way beyond my capability.  :)
gearbolt
gearbolt

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 4:26pm

Hi all,

Can someone educate me regarding the dorser and dorserless grinder?    Probably 90% of the time, my shot will
not be consecutive.  Usually one shot/steaming in the morning and two shots/steaming in the evening.   I will not
make more than 2 or 3 shots at one time (except  for the first couple months when I get the machine.  :) )

I think there will be grinds left in the grinders (both the doser and doserless ones) but there will more grinds in the
doser.  I prefer not to clean the grinder each time I use it.  Therefore, I think the doserless ones may be better for me.

As for clumping and static, can I say the doser grinder will have no issue but for the doserless it is possible to have
clumping and static issues?    I know this is a very general statement.    However, I prefer not to make a mess on the
counter and the floor; otherwise, wife is going to ..........

Thanks for your time and opinions.  Much appreciated.

David
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:34pm

DavecUK Said:

The grinder is greatly improved by removing the grid.

I've done some reading on this. Some people say that it acts as an anti-static and anti-clumping device. While others say that all it does is cause grounds retention.

Considering that I live in a very dry climate, I'm very reluctant to remove the screen. This coming from someone who can draw 1 inch arcs of lightening from doorknobs in the midst of winter!

What I am tempted to do however, is to remove the finger guard and use a can of compressed air to blow out retained grounds every so often.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:46pm

I was going to do something similar, until I read a post here about chemical additives in th air cans that you don't want in your grinder. Be careful and do some thorough research before doing this.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:48pm

NobbyR Said:

Have you considered the Rocket Espresso Cellini Evoluzione V2? It has both option of using the internal water tank or plumbing, a rotary pump, and a standard E61 brew head.

I think that the Rocket R58 is much more along the lines of the feature set the OP is looking for. It has pretty much the same feature set as the Duetto 3.0. It is a direct competitor, but offers a few different things over the Duetto:

1. The PID technology is proprietary as opposed to being "Off the shelf" and has a separate outboard PID control. The idea behind this is to preserve the look of the machine without adding clutter.
  2. Considerably larger and easier to read boiler pressure and brew pressure gauges.
  3. Much longer nozzle for steaming milk.

The downside is cost, it carries a significant premium over the Duetto and I personally didn't like the outboard PID control, but that was just IMHO.

The Evoluzione is a great machine in its own right, but if I recall correctly, it is not PID controlled, it is pressurestat controlled, like any typical HX machine. Pressurestats are a bit "Old School". :-)

IMHO, I don't think that compared to the Duetto or the S1 Vivaldi, the Rocket Evoluzione offers good value for the money, you are paying for the name and for the looks. The price difference between the
Evoluzione and the Duetto isn't that much, yet there's so much more. Again, IMO. They're beautiful machines though, don't get me wrong.

One thing that put me off to buying a Rocket was that there wasn't any local vendors who sold them, so getting service and support was a bit of a concern. I know a few local vendors here who service Izzo products.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:50pm

qualin Said:

I think that the Rocket R58 is much more along the lines of the feature set the OP is looking for. ...

That's true, but it's also much more expensive, and a DB doesn't necessarily make better espresso, it just works differently. There's a current hype about DB machines, but most commercial machines are still HX, for example. There's got to be good reason for that. If I had the choice between a prosumer DB and a commercial HX, I'd gladly prefer the HX. YMMV

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:26am

Grinder grinder grinder. I would way rather take the money spent on the electronic doserlerss and put it into a larger, slower, better burr. The screen increases retention which does not matter if your pushing enough volume. In a home well I will pass

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
gearbolt
gearbolt

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:01pm

jwoodyu Said:

Machine:  It is a jump ball or pretty close. I like have the ability to switch to the tank but would NEVER run on the tank if there were ANY way I could plumb. The E-61 opens more options for PFs etc.

Grinder: I with Wayne. Get a Major if you have the space. They can be had used on a deal and really are pretty reasonable new at 1st-line.

Is it OK that you can post the photo of your set up (the Duetto II and the Mazzer Major)?

I checked out some of the youtube video of Mazzer Major and was shocked by the size of it.
I also saw some SJ owners who took out the bean hopper.  Can this be done on Major?   In a way,
this can reduce the height.  But still they are beasts.  :)   I have no issue of the setup but I am
concerned that my wife may not be able to take it.  She is a minimalist.   Although she let me make
the decision, I need to consider her view as well.

Many thanks in advance.
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help is needed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.411454916)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+