Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Hi i'm new here, and my bugatti Diva is new in my house..
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hi i'm new here,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 11:23pm
Subject: Re: Hi i'm new here, and my bugatti Diva is new in my house..

Line,

I've probably upset you...I didn't mean to, however you might want to read a few of the independent reviews I did. Not specifically for the products they represent, but for the basic information they contain.

Click Here (www.bellabarista.co.uk)

Start with this one above and read it carefully....For espresso machines and some good basic information on how they work, a couple of 18 page reviews (with pictures) for the HX and DB machines. Have a look for my reviews on their site. Oh, before anyone says anything, no arguments with me about the Vario,  I found what I found and much of what I said has been borne out by owner experience. From my own perspective a grinder should be something you don't need to think about, worry about and certainly not post about. You won't find massive threads about other grinders e.g. Mazzer. I know customer support is fantastic (but it shouldn't need to be) and when I compare it with Mazzer, I'm reminded of this advert that was on TV many many years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oTs6Oz-OW8

Perhaps Mazzers customer complaints department, is similar?

The biggest problem with Used Mazzer grinder and them not performing the way they should sometimes, are aftermarket, rather than OEM Burrs. It's surprisingly difficult to be sure you are getting OEM burrs. That said a used Mazzer, if you can get one, is a great investment Mini or Mini E. Otherwise the larger Rossi RR45 often go for cheap money when used.

If you really can't afford a good grinder, the cheaper ones will work quite well with a Carafe/Presspot for making coffee.

P.S. Avoid the Isomac grinder if you can, there is much better for the same money. In the UK a decently priced Grinder is the Eureka Mignon.

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
ZzLine
ZzLine

Espresso: Francis Francis X3
Grinder: The point is to ENJOY THE...
Roaster: Dualit--> The English Verson...
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 5:06am

Yes, David, you do go hard on new people like you are pissed off because they have in your eyes, bought the wrong machine.
I read some things here at the forum and could read only from the wording that it was you.

A dead friend of mine used to say: Line, you are the cleverest I know of that can say unpleasant things in a nice way.
So there are a hundred ways to say one and the same..
Apology accepted!! :-)

I will read what you have written now that we have buried the hatchet.

Having just been at the sole supplier of "fresh" vacuum packed beans and bought some.
Now I have to hunt for grinder, and it's only available online so if you have a link so feel free to share.
Guess you have the same power system as us, 230V?
ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 5:06am
Subject: .

DavecUK

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 6:04am

I don't "think" the Eureka is available in Finland? You could buy from another European buyer...wherever you can get best price. Bella Barista certainly have them, but I don't know how much delivery would be or whether you can get it cheaper.

As for fresh vacuum packed beans, really you can only go by a roasted on date, some roasters are sneaky and will put a "packed on date", they pack into very large bags, then break em down when they need to into smaller retail backs and use a "packed date". Unfortunately this is interpreted as a roasted by date by many consumers.

I think you see my comments as harsh, because at the moment, "you don't know what you don't know" and as a consumer, will find it very difficult to gain knowledge by personal experience. You simply won't get the chance to own/use more than a few machines or grinders.  For me it's very different, I have a big advantage as I get the chance to use many machines, grinder and roasters..

People buy these sort of things to grind beans and make brown liquid...now these sort of things really are big mistakes.

Click Here (www.tesco.com)

But they would do better to save the money and buy something similar to the bottom 2 items. Then buy a decent machine and grinder a year or 2. The coffee would be better from this as well:

Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk)
Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk)
ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 9:09am

I'm in norway, Dave ;-)

I've got Gaggia MM on sale for $89 today...
After all, they just do coffee and I took a change!
DavecUK

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 9:16am

ZzLine Said:

I'm in norway, Dave ;-)

I've got Gaggia MM on sale for $89 today...
After all, they just do coffee and I took a change!

Posted January 21, 2013 link

Nooooo!.......you seem to have the unerring ability to choose, equipment that is..not the best. I owned a Gaggia MM grinder many, many years years ago, truly nasty grinder. If you can take it back for a refund (if you have not used it), please do so. Not everything with the name Gaggia on it is great quality...some equipment is, others not so much.....See i've done it again, just rubbished your equipment...sorry.

I am afraid I don't know very much about Norway, except that you have fjords, go to bed early and it's nice and quiet, cold and expensive. In fact I know as much about Norway as Finland.....which isn't much. ;-)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:28am

Line,

Don't listen to Dave.  It's not that he's rude -- he's perhaps a bit brusque, but he means well.  The fact is that the Gaggia MM will work, but it's far from your best option.  Well, so be it.  We cannot all spend 100,000+ NOK on equipment!  The fact is that, with your MM and freshly roasted beans, the quality of your espresso should definitely improve.

Cheers,
Jason

Ikke hør på Dave. Det er ikke det at han er frekk - han er kanskje litt brysk, men han mener det godt. Faktum er at Gaggia MM vil fungere, men det er langt fra det beste alternativet. Vel, det får så være. Vi kan ikke alle bruke 100.000 + kr på utstyr! Faktum er at med din MM og ferske brente bønner, bør kvaliteten på espresso din definitivt bedre.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:12am

Line,

Everything is relative. While the Gaggia MM is a very basic grinder for espresso, it will be a huge step above the ground coffee ground you have been purchasing at the store. There will be two benefits - the coffee will be much more fresh when you grind it when you need it at home, and you will be able to adjust the grind to match the machine which is a critical step in the process. I will once again recommend that you reference my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, and check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:20am

I was new here not that long ago.  And you have an added problem with language issues.  People here have very strong opinions about coffee and equipment or they would not be on this site. Strong opinions sometimes sound rude or make people uncomfortable.  Often they are not sugar coated and with the internet you can't hear voice and see body language.   If you saw the person saying the opinion face to face you might realize it was passion not anger that makes it sound strongly worded.  And if they could see your reaction they might soften the delivery, but we don't have that on the internet forums.  Adding to that people from the USA tend to be more direct than is considered polite in other places I can see why you were upset.  But I read the posts and I don't believe that any one here was really trying to hurt you but they were trying to tell you what they thought in no uncertain terms.

Now for my advice, GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER.  It is so hard to understand when you start out with an entry level machine you will spend as much or more for a good grinder.  But it makes more difference in the cup.  If you read this site a lot you will see people say that they can make good espresso on a cheap pump machine and a great grinder but can't make good espresso on a top of the line machine and chopper grinder.  It is very hard to understand how this is true but it is really true.  Where you are there should be a lot of old hand grinders that are often better burrs than new entry level electric grinders.  I am not an expert but I would start being on the look out in car boot sales and church sales for vintage hand coffee grinders.  I would read up on them so I would know a good one when I saw it and you might be able to get a great old grinder cheaply.

I am very happy with my vario grinder and I have had it almost a year and it has not given me any problems.  I recommend them based on my service and meeting the company.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:08am

frcn Said:

Line,

Everything is relative. While the Gaggia MM is a very basic grinder for espresso, it will be a huge step above the ground coffee ground you have been purchasing at the store. There will be two benefits - the coffee will be much more fresh when you grind it when you need it at home, and you will be able to adjust the grind to match the machine which is a critical step in the process. I will once again recommend that you reference my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, and check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

Posted January 21, 2013 link

Thanks for a nice article, also considering that I've actually done some of what you write about. The new grinder is being tested on how "finely ground" my machine want it. I can only say that we, fortunately, are approaching! ;-)
showing page 4 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hi i'm new here,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324290990829)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+