Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Tamping: Levelness vs Forcefulness
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Tamping:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:17pm
Subject: Re: Tamping: Levelness vs Forcefulness

The Espro - would I purchase it? No. I am frugal. I was using a basic, one-piece aluminum tamper purchased with Silvia back in late 2000, and that worked just fine. I like the Espro better because of its mass (stainless base) and the fit in my hand. The 'click" means nothing to me and I would like it just the same without that.  

BUT - for a new barrista it offers a reassuring tactile feedback indicating a 'standardized" and repeatable tamp that eliminates one variable to think about (not that it deserves much more than a fleeting thought.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
randychar813
randychar813
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 95% of time: Izzo Alex...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type A;...
Vac Pot: french press
Drip: no
Roaster: SF 6 lber; Hottop
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 4:43pm

JoeFoundry Said:

Awesome Randy! How hard did/do you tamp now?

Posted December 26, 2012 link

The same. About 30lbs as my grind, and timed shot is based on that. I use the Espro periodically as Randy Glass suggests but I like the hand feel of the Prima adjustable.  It is easy to hold, and grab.  With this particular tamper, I know 30 from the depth of the Tamper against my fingers.  When the grind and dose are the same, the depth created with 30 lb weight or force will be a similar constant.

I will switch back to the Espro when I change the coffee blend or roast profile depending on the oil on the beans to see if that is somehow a variable or not.  

I am pleased with the results.
 View Profile Link to this post
thedotben
thedotben
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 9:00am

"Price you mentioned is in line with what others have mentioned, thanks for that feedback. Albeit a limited training market, is there anyone you know that I could speak with at either MBS or ABS? I would be very interested in getting our prototypes into their hands as they have intimate knowledge of training baristas."

Joe, you could try Jack Groot from MBS. His email is jack@jpscoffee.com. No guarantees that he will be interested, but it could be worth a try.
JoeFoundry
JoeFoundry
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Europiccola 8
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:19am

Awesome good sir, thanks for the tip!
JoeFoundry
JoeFoundry
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Europiccola 8
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 2:33pm

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Really appreciated all of the feedback you guys provided on this thread a couple months back. It helped us refocus our tamper development work over at Foundry Coffee Company and I wanted to share a post about that progress:

Click Here (www.foundrycoffee.com)

If you should have any additional feedback, interest in the project or questions, please feel free to reach out to me anytime. Either way I will see you around the forums more in the coming months, too many smart people trolling around here not to stay engaged :)

Best,

Joe
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Tamping:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243613004684)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+