Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Looking for a machine with a regular steam wand and adjustable steam
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
shkra11

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 3:43pm
Subject: Looking for a machine with a regular steam wand and adjustable steam

Background: I worked at a coffee shop as a barista a while back, so I am very comfortable with (and prefer) commercial level machines.  I am very far from a connoisseur and I do not have rancilio silvia money (although I enjoyed using that machine for a year at a different job).  

What I'm looking for (if it exists):
- a new machine
- that works with a non-pressurized portafilter/basket (even if it doesn't come with one)
- with a regular steam wand (or one where the froth enhancer/panarello can be easily taken off of the wand)
- with an adjustable steam lever/knob (not just a button/switch that turns steam on or off with no ability to vary the amount of steam)

Does this exist under $600?  I really appreciate your help- it is pretty difficult to figure out specs regarding steam mechanisms online.  It seems that my requirements eliminate most Gaggias, but I'm not sure if there might be some Breville or Saeco models that might fit the bill.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 1:15am
Subject: Re: Looking for a machine with a regular steam wand and adjustable steam

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Before we can really give you good advise, we need a little more information. The standard questions are:
  • What kind of coffee drinks do you prefer?
  • How many drinks, on average, will you probably be making at one time, per day and  in any given week?
  • Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want a machine with a water tank?
  • Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
  • Does your budget of (under) $600 also include the grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
shkra11

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 6:19am
Subject: Re: Looking for a machine with a regular steam wand and adjustable steam

Thanks

- my budget for a machine (excluding grinder) is $300-500. (I don't have questions on the grinder for now.)
- I'll almost always use it for 1 latte only, adding flavored syrup or lots of sweetener after, approximately once a day
- not trying to give anyone indigestion, but I used illy pre-ground in a rancilio silvia a few times a week and loved it
- I want a machine with a water tank
- I'll be using a normal circuit
- If it meets my needs, I  prefer a machine with a smaller footprint (the silvia is a bit large/bulky for my space)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 8:22am

Small size and quality are kind of at odds with each other. The smaller the machine, the less thermal mass there is to maintain a stable temp and the smaller the boiler will be to maintain a constant temp water in brewing. There are several machines for less money than Sylvia that work just as well.

Preground, Illy, uh, OK but that isn't going to even approach anything like quality espresso, ....... on ANY machine but with a lot of additional flavors and sugar syrups, well it may be drinkable.

The coffee needs to be fresh GROUND and no more than two weeks from THE DAY IT WAS ROASTED to be fresh and fresh blows away stale every time.

I will take a few minutes to look at our advertisers (you could do this to) and will post some choices soon.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 8:37am

This is the BEST bang for your buck at the moment, the grinder isn't to the level of a Vario but it will do an acceptable job and it is LIGHT YEARS better than pre ground Illy in a can. The combo is less than the list price of Sylvia non pid alone.

Machine and grinder combo, $600 $429 machine only (advise the combo for the money)
http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/lelit/index.htm

Other machines only to look at but consider above, seriously.

$699 on sale from $1199
Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

Open box, nice machine $600
Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shkra11

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 8:55am

I don't want to panic anybody- I will in time reform my grinding habits after I get a machine and can experiment with grinders, etc.  My main problem now is that I have no machine and want to get one and I'd appreciate some information on steam wands and controls.  I have looked (and will keep looking) at the resources on this website and at other threads, but my main question here is something that isn't answered that I've seen.  

I'm looking for something like this steam wand and control, but in a cheaper machine (around $300-500 range) - does that exist?  

Specifically, I'm trying to find out if there are machines with:

(1) a regular steam wand (or one where the froth enhancer/panarello can be easily taken off of the wand) and

(2) that have an adjustable steam lever/knob (not just a button/switch that turns steam on or off with no ability to vary the amount of steam)?
shkra11

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 8:59am

Thanks for your response.  I'll check out the Le'lit PL041 and, if I start thinking I might need to increase my budget to get what I'm looking for, I'll check out the ascaso and the CC1.  I've seen some good reviews of both of those machines on here.

I see the ascaso has a frothing aid- does anyone know if that's easily removable from the wand?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:12am

some people get the Gaggia classic and replace the stock wand with a Silvia v1 wand.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
shkra11

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:41am

hmm- I wonder if any vendors would do that before shipping the classic out?  I'm reading up on switching out the wands, but I don't really want to do any modifications myself.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:22am

Gaggia Classic from WLL $349 free shipping

Bolt on Rancilio wand  

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=1965849

with partsshipfree for $23

Auber PID and RTD sensor for DIY and about $75-100 depending on what you want and can do, or PID Kit for about $200.

Before you buy, ask yourself if you want a SBDU, single boiler, machine or if you will want to soon upgrade.  You may want to look at used Oscar which I see frequently recommended.  I am still at the Gaggia Classic stage and happy with it.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306164979935)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+