Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Ascaso Dream PID?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Ascaso Dream...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JDHarding
JDHarding
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Sun Sep 19, 2010, 10:13pm
Subject: Ascaso Dream PID?

Just curious if the Ascaso Dream can be PID'd. There's kits for the other machines, but not for the Dream. I did see someone PID one of the newer bigger Ascaso machines, like the Steel, Uno and Duo, but I haven't seen any Dream PIDs. Is it possible? I've found all the PID parts that are typically included with any kit, but no directions on how to install them on a Dream.

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
 View Profile Link to this post
JDHarding
JDHarding

Posted Sun Sep 19, 2010, 10:42pm
Subject: Re: Ascaso Dream PID?

Looks like the Auber PID would work with the Ascaso Dream. I'm not sure about the wiring, though, but the Dream has a screw hole in the boiler for mounting the heat guage's probe, so I figure the temp probe screw that mounts into the Silvia's thermowell will also mount in the Dream's screwhole on the boiler.

But, again, I don't know about the wiring. All I know is I saw one of these mounted on a Ascaso Steel and a Gaggia, so it seems to be somewhat universal with most of these smaller machines.

Auber PID Kit:
Click Here (www.auberins.com)

JDHarding
JDHarding

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2011, 2:07pm

I'm bumping this thread 'cause I'd still like to know if the Dream can be modded with a PID?

tangkee

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jul 17, 2011, 4:10am

Hi JDHarding,

I see that you are interested in installing an Auber PID on an Ascaso Dream.  Recently I purchased a kit from them and installed it in my 2 months old Dream Up.  It worked!

Obviously, the installation instruction that comes with the kit will not work for Dream Up as it was written for the Silvia machine.  The parts in the kit, however, did fit my machine perfectly.  When ordering you need to indicate that you want the M4 screw in RTD sensor, because the Dream Up uses a M4 screw in thermostat.  My experience with this kit has been great since I completed the installation 2 days ago.

I have yet to create a detailed schematic for the wiring, but I plan to have it done soon.  If you want to know how I did it please let me know.  You will see a write up of what I have done here:

http://web.me.com/tang_kee/CNC/Welcome.html

Thanks.

Tang Kee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kelvdoggy

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 7:00pm

Hello all
I just managed to PID a Ascaso Dream (NOT the UP) from 2007, I believe.  To do this I had to trace out the circuit diagram (which is very similar to the Gaggia Classic).  I ended up buying an Auber Gaggia Classic PID with steam control and made it work quite nicely.  I opted to dremel a rectangular hole (through the aluminum casing)  the size of the PID unit (minus the case) at the top rear of the unit (closer to the motor, where things are cooler) and have had no regrets so far.

This looks pretty cool, with the Blue LED lights on the unit, but doesn't affect the functionality.  Also, this approach doesn't disturb the aesthetics of the unit too much, though it does mean you can't uninstall it, and some may fear the unit may overheat.  In three months of usage, I've had no problems so far however.

Would anyone like to see my work?  This might include the circuit I traced out and a circuit illustrating how the auber unit is attached.  I can show pics of the interior and at least a few of the steps of the installation.

Let me know if there is interest!

Kelvin
Leonardopm
Leonardopm
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Dream/Gaggia Baby...
Grinder: Vario Home/Breville Ikon...
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:32am

kelvdoggy Said:

Hello all
I just managed to PID a Ascaso Dream (NOT the UP) from 2007, I believe.  To do this I had to trace out the circuit diagram (which is very similar to the Gaggia Classic).  I ended up buying an Auber Gaggia Classic PID with steam control and made it work quite nicely.  I opted to dremel a rectangular hole (through the aluminum casing)  the size of the PID unit (minus the case) at the top rear of the unit (closer to the motor, where things are cooler) and have had no regrets so far.

This looks pretty cool, with the Blue LED lights on the unit, but doesn't affect the functionality.  Also, this approach doesn't disturb the aesthetics of the unit too much, though it does mean you can't uninstall it, and some may fear the unit may overheat.  In three months of usage, I've had no problems so far however.

Would anyone like to see my work?  This might include the circuit I traced out and a circuit illustrating how the auber unit is attached.  I can show pics of the interior and at least a few of the steps of the installation.

Let me know if there is interest!

Kelvin

Posted December 9, 2012 link

Hi Kelvin,

I'm very interested in your PID work over the Ascaso. I also have a Dream (not UP) and a strong desire for PID'ding it, but also a big wish to keep its aesthetics untouched. My wife made me buy this machine (when I already had 3 other machines) and she'd kill me if I drill a hole in the cover.

Please let me know details about your work, such as PID model, schematics and what else you could say. I'd appreciate your help.

PS: Do you know about any PID unit that can be fully installed inside the machine?

Best regards.

Leonardo
kelvdoggy

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012, 4:36pm

(Leonardo,
I'm glad to hear of your interest.  Now bear in mind. I cut a hole in top of my unit, but the auber readout fits there beautifully (though I didn't get it quite dead center, damn it, first time with a dremel).  I'm pretty busy in real life but I'll try posting some pics or links as I get a chance.  

- The auber unit I utilized was for a gaggia classic and has PID and steam control.  I picked the one with blue LED's because I thought it would be prettier (perhaps your wife would appreciate that). The auber model is 'KIT-GGS'  from the auber site (Click Here (www.auberins.com)).
- I used all the cables provided by Auber.  I did not use the enclosure provided by Auber, because I couldn't imagine it's boxiness jiving with the smooth curves of our lady ascaso.  That's a personal taste thing I guess, and I might be taking some risk of the PID overheating, but nothing so far.  Also I put the PID as posterior as possible in the case so I hope/think I'll be OK.  Mr. Tang (from the above post), took an entirely different approach, which you might prefer.

I really appreciated the earlier post in this forum from Mr. Tang but his mobileme account was gone, but some persistence lead me to an alternate link at http://tkpaco.com/CNC/My_Ascaso_Dream_Up.html.  However, I couldn't get his schematic of the electrical system to jive with mine at all. In my next post, I'll try send a copy of the schematic I worked out to help you and any others wanting to try this.  

Also, the kit Tang used appeared somewhat different from mine, especially the relay.  I recommend spending some time on your own tracing out the circuit.  In terms of electric circuits, it's as simple as they come, but it still took me time to trust my version of it (paranoid) before I hooked everything up and tinkered:)

I'm attaching a picture of my dream but pardon the grungeness of the dream ... I need to clean it up/buff out the surface again ... I'm messy you see.

Kelvin

kelvdoggy: ascaso pid.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Leonardopm
Leonardopm
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Dream/Gaggia Baby...
Grinder: Vario Home/Breville Ikon...
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 9:23am

Kelvin,

Fantastic work.

I'm thinking about hiding the PID unit under the reservoir, in the base's hatch (where the tray lies). I really don't want to mess with the stock design from this machine. The way I thought would require to remove the tray when adjusting the PID but, well, it's not a thing we need to do all the time, even more in my case, because I'm considering a unit just for brewing and keep the original thermostat for steam.

I like very much the installation work made by Mr. Tang but to be honest the aesthetical doesn't please me. If I have to cut the machine's cover or put the PID hanging on it I prefer to leave it with the stock thermostat...

Well, talking more about your setup, how is it going? Did the PID make a big difference in brewing temp stability? Would surfing the temp by the gauge give a close result to that?

Thanks.

Leonardo
kelvdoggy

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 11:19pm

Finally got my circuit diagrams together.  I had considered doing things similar to how you describe, with the PID in the base, but with the screen facing laterally to the left so that it could be seen when wanted.  That would also require cut into things as well.  I found that the included wiring would not reach the base and I decided not to mess around making my own or finding the right connectors to do the job.  Lazy I guess.  But, yes the device works very well and I have very consistent shots with temperature stability, a least as much as one can obtain with such a small boiler.  I've attached the picture of the circuit diagram I worked out for the pristine device. and will also post a picture of the PID'ed circuit diagram.

ascaso pre.pdf
kelvdoggy

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 11:20pm

Here is the diagram of the PID'ed Dream.

ascaso pid.pdf
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Ascaso Dream...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300960063934)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+