Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
How to make the perfect Froth or crema?!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to make the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
stormblaz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 7:58pm
Subject: How to make the perfect Froth or crema?!

It says to use skim milk or fat free milk, since it makes more air and gives it much more easiness for crema or froth to create, but do you put warm milk?? cold?? and how long in the steam pipe of the coffee machine? i have a really good espresso machine and it makes perfect froth as it describes, but some tips would be appreciated!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 8:18pm
Subject: Re: How to make the perfect Froth or crema?!

On the green bar above, is a link called "guides & how tos"  There's a milk frothing guide there...probably the best place for you to start.

Then, once you get a foundation, it'll be a lot easier to answer your questions.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:04am

stormblaz Said:

It says to use skim milk or fat free milk

Posted November 29, 2012 link

This is up to your taste. Supposedly, it is easier to make froth with milk that have a lower fat content. Although, this is at a cost of the taste of the drink.
I find that using 2% milk gives me the best balance of taste and froth, but this is just IMHO.

The milk you use should be as cold as possible before you consider frothing it because you want some time and "room" to build up foam.

stormblaz Said:

and how long in the steam pipe of the coffee machine?

Posted November 29, 2012 link

The milk should reach a temperature where the steaming pitcher gets too hot to hold, or you can use a steaming thermometer, stopping at around 160 F or 71 C if you want to be precise.
(Steaming thermometers will have a zone which indicates when you should stop.) If you start smelling a sickly sweet smell, the milk is caramelizing and you should stop steaming immediately.

Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:12am

And stop well below the temp you want.  Depending on the machine and how much milk you might want to stop as much as 10-20 degrees below the target number.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 9:00am

qualin Said:

The milk should reach a temperature where the steaming pitcher gets too hot to hold, or you can use a steaming thermometer, stopping at around 160 F or 71 C if you want to be precise.

Posted November 30, 2012 link

milk scalds at 170F
many baristi recommend stopping at about 135-140F, for 'drink here" beverages because then it's drinkable.  For "to go" they often recommend stopping closer to 150F, so it stays hot longer.  For hands on technique (no thermometer), I find that too hot to hold = too hot to drink, so I actually stop sooner than that.  Several years ago, 2-time US Barista Champion Heather Perry did a "got milk" commercial where she said stop at 135F because that's a good drinking temperature.

Coffeenoobie Said:

And stop well below the temp you want.  Depending on the machine and how much milk you might want to stop as much as 10-20 degrees below the target number.

Posted November 30, 2012 link

+1, the temp will appear to drift up after you stop because of the lag inherent in the thermometer (i.e., the milk is hotter than the thermometer is telling you).

Oh, and one other thing...froth is something you do with milk, introducing microbubbles of air by placing a steam wand into cold milk, thereby creating a foam. crema is a phenomenon that happens during espresso extraction, it looks like brown foam on top of the coffee, and occurs due to carbon dioxide release from the coffee grounds during extraction.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:45pm

I aim for 130-140 and think 150 is ok.  But lately, using unrestricted tip, I am working to keep it under 150.  I think 160 is too hot.  One of the ways I know that the coffee shop near me is doing stuff too hot is I can't drink the espresso right away even in a paper cup.  I can drink it right from my machine in a heated cup but I can't drink theirs for quite a while.  Even blowing and waiting I burned myself on their coffee.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to make the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292841911316)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+