Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What is the Warming cup tray on Espresso and coffee machines?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What is the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
stormblaz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 3:26pm
Subject: What is the Warming cup tray on Espresso and coffee machines?

I need to know what this is for, i know is to keep the cups warm but after the espresso is done and is on the cup you put it in there? before? because in order to stay warm it will need to be turn on and steamed, i wont leave my machine on all day, so please explain the use of it!
 View Profile Link to this post
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 4:50pm
Subject: Re: What is the Warming cup tray on Espresso and coffee machines?

It is basically useless.  It is to warm the cup so it doesn't cool the espresso however they generally don't warm the cups enough and you still need to preheat with very hot water.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 5:15pm

The usefulness depends a lot on your machine.  As said above, you put your cups there while the machine is warming and while it's on between drinks so your cups are nice and warm and don't cool your drinks too fast.  When I had my Silvia, the warmer function was mediocre.  My Duetto is much, much better...and if I invert my cups it's even more effective.

I always have clean dry cups on top of the machine, so that when the machine comes on and warms up, so do the cups.  Of course, my machine is on more than it's off.

What machine do you guys have?  How long are you letting it warm up before making your drinks?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
stormblaz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 7:55pm

I have an capresso it is about 200$ but we gat it on a special deal and it had this warming cup thing, i tried it it gets really hot as soon as the machine is on, about 10 secs, so i though it could be useful while i prepare the coffee in the tray and lock it in the machine, it takes about a min or 2 with the press until its ready, so that gives it enough time for the cups to be nice and warm, it does help, also yes inverting the cups is how it works best, it had 2 cups inverted on the warming tray and it made us wonder why was it that way, i guess if others do it it must be more efficient!
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 8:14pm

Works great in a cafe on a commercial machine, but at home it depends.

I have lever machines at home, the Gaggia Factory doesn't have a warming cup but the La Peppina does, sort of.  It has a plastic lid with a raised hole in the center to vent water vapor.  You can put a single espresso cup over this to keep it warm, but I find that it keeps it too hot.  In any even, with the La Peppina I'll just fill the cup with water for the group to pre-heat the cup.  Since I use a bottomless portafilter with the Gaggia Factory, my espresso comes out much hotter so I do not pre-heat the cup for straight espresso and pull the shot into a room temp cup.  If I'm pulling a cappuccino, I will pre-heat the cup with water since I pull the shot first and then steam the milk so the hot cup keeps the espresso hotter longer.

They actually sell standalone cup heaters.  I saw a nice one at a hotel in Italy for coffee cups.  They served brewed coffee with the breakfast buffet unless you asked the wait staff to bring you an espresso or cappuccino.  This was at the Cosmo Hotel in Vimercate (outside Milan) and I searched Milan for the best espresso and could not find a better one than what they served in that hotel.  Still, I prefer more of a West Coast espresso here at home over the Italian style.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:50pm

I just use the warming tray to store stuff and dry stuff.  They say warming trays mostly heat the cup rim and it is better to heat everything but the rim, like you do when you add hot water.  Also, just the other day I put a honey jar up there that the honey was crystallizing.  It works well for reversing that.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 3:35pm

The point of the cup warming tray is or was a basic one:
a lot of coffee shops (bars) in Italy and I'm assuming in the busy area of the rest of Europe as well,
go through so many ceramic cup that they have special dish washer made just for the cups, saucers washing,
assuming that they use cold water or again USED TO,
then you are loading the top of your machine with dozens of cold cups,
a lot of espresso machine made for the European marked had an extra switch that will activate a low heating element to warm up QUICKLY the cups, some machine used steam as well (San Marco)
of course the heat of the boiler will eventually warm up the cups anyway,
infact a lot of machine sold here, will sometimes have a place or even a "dead" switch still present but not connected
considering the local market  (the location is not that busy or doesn't use ceramic cup).

yes yes the above post has a very good point, logically you want the "but" of the cup to get warm and not the rim
but then there is the consideration that dust or anything might go inside the cups while seating there,
win win or loose loose eh?

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 4:46pm

The  Nespresso ES-100 Pro pod machine we used to have at work (before it leaked) had a clip on shelf behind it where you could store cups.  The plastic shelf has and electronic heating element to act as a cup warmer that would plug into the espresso machine.

I tried the pods out but preferred to use my Mypressi Twist at work, probably because I could use fresh coffee dosed up to 18+ grams instead of a 6 gram pod and under temp water.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
thedotben
thedotben
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 3:38pm

Just to add an additional point: The warming tray keeps the cups dry when they warm, as compared to just using hot water to heat them.

This is important if you are attempting latte art. A wet cup breaks your surface tension.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What is the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262344121933)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+