Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Timing of extraction, from time pump is turned on, or timed from 1st drip???
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Timing of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 9:16am
Subject: Re: Timing of extraction, from time pump is turned on, or timed from 1st drip???

frcn Said:

Not to be rude, but who cares? Just:
- Develop a consistent and repeatable routine
- Watch the espresso stream
- Stop when or just before the flow lacks viscosity and turns watery
- Taste the espresso
- Adjust accordingly as required to match your personal taste.
- Use the clock to make sure you aren't late for work   ;-)

Posted October 17, 2012 link

I basically agree. It's just that for a newbie it's easier and more practicable to time shots than to recognize blonding. Maybe one should differentiate between extraction time and percolation time, what do you think?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 10:40am
Subject: Re: Timing of extraction, from time pump is turned on, or timed from 1st drip???

D4F Said:

Interesting note on the Redbird site, that both Redbird Espresso and Blue Jaguar are suggested 25 - 30 second shot from the first drip.  Of course YMMV, especially on other coffees.

Posted October 17, 2012 link

It will vary indeed.
For the record, depending on WHICH coffee I am brewing, I go from 20 to 40 seconds from the first sign of coffee flowing through the basket when using my naked PF.

As that really isn't all that helpful to someone just starting out, the above advice to just do the same thing every time and adjust from there is the best way to go. Stock formula, 14g coffee, 25 seconds from the first flow, 195 to 205 F at 9 bar. I tend to go heavier at 18 to 19g at 20 to 40 seconds depending on coffee so in truth, YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 3:30pm

NobbyR Said:

...It's just that for a newbie it's easier and more practicable to time shots than to recognize blonding...

Posted October 18, 2012 link

This is a good point.  This is also why I recommend tasting the stream through the extraction (as a teaching tool for newbies).  When it starts tasting horrible, that's when it's done.  After a newbie does this a couple of times, he/she will have no trouble recognizing the matching visual cues.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 8:32pm

emradguy Said:

This is a good point.  This is also why I recommend tasting the stream through the extraction (as a teaching tool for newbies).  When it starts tasting horrible, that's when it's done.

I would theorize that, particularly for newbies, the opposite might be more true. The beginning and early portion  of the stream is so concentrated that, to the palate unfamiliar with the taste of espresso, it could be overwhelming. The later stream, more dilute, could very well be more pleasant. A more experienced palate would recognize the difference in the concentration and be able to discern the taste separately from the viscosity and concentration. The later flow, while lacking in body, doesn't necessarily taste bad, it just lacks depth of taste.

Visually, the change from the appearance of warm honey to that of water is fairly easy to identify. Once that is learned it can be visually associated to the color change to allow prediction of that viscosity change. Now, if we relate all this to the original question, these changes I have mentioned here are a lot easier to see if the barista is not glancing at the clock every three or four seconds.

So just as we have learned that we don't need to look at a scale to judge tamp, we also do not need to worry about the number of seconds. A ten second double is probably a gusher, and a 45 second single is used Valvoline. Somewhere between the extremes we have good espresso. A clock is not necessary to find that. A palate is a much better tool. Paying close visual attention to the stream is an excellent diagnostic tool. It is the greatest reason we cut the bottoms off our portafilters; to watch the espresso and to learn.

I believe that it was Yoda who said, "Clock put away, you will. Taste the force."

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 8:51pm

frcn Said:

I would theorize that, particularly for newbies, the opposite might be more true.

Randy, you know I think very highly of your advice and opinions, but I have to disagree with that thought - based on my own experience. When I went through this stream tasting exercise in my one day course, I thought it was pretty darn horrible tasting when it got watery.  Heather had us wait until mid-shot to start tasting, but it was crystal clear in the mouth when the shot was done...and I learned then that the visual cues I'd been using were correct...but I never really knew that.  Now, you might argue I wasn't a brand spankin' newbie when I took that course, and I'd have to admit it's true, but I didn't really know what I was doing.  I just had an idea based on reading snipets of info.

frcn Said:

I believe that it was Yoda who said, "Clock put away, you will. Taste the force."

Love the Yoda!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Timing of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323337078094)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+