Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
espresso coming out SOUR!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > espresso coming...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
jttran28

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Compak k3
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:17pm
Subject: espresso coming out SOUR!

So I obviously need some tips and suggestions.  I have a Crossland CC1 and a Compak K2 Touch grinder.  All of a sudden my shots are coming out real sour.  Any advice?

1.  My basket can only fit about 12.2g of coffee.  When I place a nickel in there and attach it to the group head, it makes a very slight indent.  Is this good?  Why can't I fit more coffee in?
  2.  Is my coffee under extracted?  How can I tell?  I'm using a bottomless basket.  Do the dark strips go away when extraction is good?
  3.  Is my grind too fine?
  4.  Is it the beans? (probably part of the problem)  I have yet to get one from a local roaster.  I got some from Peets, the ones where they claim it is no older than 7 days...
  5.  How will I know when I have a good tasting shot?  I have not had anyone show me how to pull shots except for youtube.

I'm getting really frustrated.  I want some coffee!
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 4:53am
Subject: Re: espresso coming out SOUR!

jttran28 Said:

So I obviously need some tips and suggestions.  I have a Crossland CC1 and a Compak K2 Touch grinder.  All of a sudden my shots are coming out real sour.  Any advice?

Posted October 16, 2012 link

Check the temp. Have you ever had good results from this setup "sudden" makes it sounds as if something has changed? What is your brew temp set at?

jttran28 Said:

My basket can only fit about 12.2g of coffee.  When I place a nickel in there and attach it to the group head, it makes a very slight indent.  Is this good?  Why can't I fit more coffee in?

All things being equal I would guess your using a single basket.

jttran28 Said:

Is my coffee under extracted?  How can I tell?  I'm using a bottomless basket.  Do the dark strips go away when extraction is good?

Use your scale and cut your extraction at 25g for now if you continue with the 12.2g basket setup.

jttran28 Said:

Is my grind too fine?

how long is the draw?

jttran28 Said:

How will I know when I have a good tasting shot?  I have not had anyone show me how to pull shots except for youtube.

When you like it :) you might want to post a video.

jttran28 Said:

I'm getting really frustrated.  I want some coffee!

hang in there

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
jttran28

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 9:28am

1. Temp is at 200 degrees. Results were good, then stopped when I had a batch of stale coffee.  It was gushing everywhere.  Now I have a different batch which flows well but tastes like crap.

2. I thought I was using the double basket?  The machine came with a single...wait a minute.  I think the "single" i'm thinking of is the basket for coffee pods.  Does that mean my current basket being used is a single?  I thought It would have come with a double?  I'll do some research.

3.  I will try 25 seconds with the 12.2gram basket setup.  Maybe I was over extracting?  Doesn't that lead to a bitter, not sour taste?

4.  What does draw mean?

Thanks for your help.  Atleast I think I discovered I'm using a single, thinking it was a double.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 2:39pm

Try the double basket that came with it, I don't even bother with single baskets anymore, too finicky and a pain. Couple more grams in a double just makes a big difference to me. If you are using the double with 12g that's way to little in the double, don't even know if it could tamp right under 14g since the basket's slightly taper towards the bottom. You should be able to tell a difference, one basket will be shallow and the other deeper (double).

I don't know about Peets, I only know their stale store beans lol. Which anything stale will become a gusher. I know you can buy their beans online but no idea if their roasted to order? Draw = your extraction time

If you can post a vid that would help
jttran28

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 9:16pm

I will try to post a video tomorrow.  

According to the user manual, I am using the double basket and it only fits 12.2g of coffee?  Why can I not fit more?  I guess I'll need to post a video of my process of pulling shots.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 9:57pm

Ummm I can grind up to 18g into the double basket. Manual doesn't say what amount either, mine says "grind the desired amount into the basket". You should have a single, double, and blind basket for back flushing. I don't have the single as the previous owner turned it into a scace type device for temp reading, but I don't use singles anyway as their annoying to me lol, like the flavor and volumes of doubles.
jttran28

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:29pm

so what I do is i mound the basket with coffee and I level with my finger without putting any pressure while leveling it.  If I do put pressure, then it gets too close to the group head.  There has to be something wrong.  Why can't I fit more than 12g?  Im fairly certain this is the double basket I received.

Here is a video.  Please pardon the poor production.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-773Bb3e8U&feature=plcp
Beans a bit finer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmc-wndljO0
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:52pm

try giving the portafilter a few little taps on the counter to settle the grinds.   This will give you more room in the basket.  For now, i will dose about 1/3 and then give it a few taps to somewhat level out, the other 1/3, tap again, the rest, and tap again.  I'll then nutate to even things out and then tamp.  I have no problem fitting 18+ grams into a standard double basket.  After the shot, if you see an indent of the the screen screw, dont sweat it as long as it tastes good.

i'd suggest getting more coffee into the basket and trying to use the same parameters.  Keep in mind, you're probably gonna need to adjust your grind with more coffee in the basket.

btw, i personally prefer the taste of a ristretto.  my shots run much longer and output far less.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:54pm

and definitely get yourself some better coffee.  you're in san jose!  no reason not to get excellent roasts up there.
jttran28

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:03am

I'll try the tap technique. More coffee, coarser the grind?

How do I know when the pull is ready to be stopped? Color of the coffee coming out of the pf?
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > espresso coming...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34334397316)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+