Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Under-extracted breville 800 esxl shots - please help!
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Under-extracted...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Poopbot2000

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 10:07am
Subject: Under-extracted breville 800 esxl shots - please help!

I recently bought a breville 800 esxl and was excited to begin having quality espresso at home.

Unfortunately, my shots are always very under extracted (15 seconds) and towards the end it just looks like brown water.

I ordered the single wall non pressurized filters from breville and am using the double shot basket. I have a cuisinart burr grinder on its finest setting and I am tamping with a good amount of pressure. I preheat everything, run through water and use fresh coffee. I fill near to the top with about 1/8th in of space from the top as recommended.

Are there any other variables I could change that could make such a significant difference?

Should I just return the machine and or grinder?  If so, what is a better machine for the same price range ( got this for 280 from bed bath and beyond).

Thank you for the help, any recommendations are appreciated.

Regards,

Ted
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 11:46am
Subject: Re: Under-extracted breville 800 esxl shots - please help!

Cuisinart Grinder is your problem right there since your using the non-pressurized baskets. It just can't grind near fine enough or consistent enough. Your going to need to step it up to the Baratza Preciso (which you can find on refurb at Baratza site, they generally list items on Thursdays), about $240 + shipping. Otherwise at the minimum, Breville Smart Grinder is good, just not near the Preciso for adjustability. Or you can look at a number of hand grinders up to that price range. The pressurized baskets help negate having a grinder not capable of espresso grinds, but not the same taste and mouthfeel as real espresso (they make fake crema for one). Your machine itself isn't anything special, but with a good grinder you can still pull good tasting coffee with it. Do that 1st (upgrade grinder) and see how you like it, and then you can decide whether you want to upgrade machines, or even down the road if you do you'll have a grinder already capable for espresso.

You didn't say what beans you were using either, but stale store bought beans will generally always gush. You need beans that were fresh roasted to order and shipped to you (unless you have a roaster near you to pick up from, or possibly a nice coffee shop that constantly get's fresh orders in from roasters that will sell to you... just google your area and you should find some nice shops that will do so).
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 7:18am

+1 CMIN

The grinder is everything.  I personally use a commercial grinder monster for my small entry Delonghi.  Cheap burr grinders aren't built for very fine grind because the average drinker doesn't take the time to do all the little things for a true cup of espresso.  Mods for these grinders do exist.  If this is your grinder then this may help you.  Easily reversible if not. :)

Click Here :)
FYI I don't own this grinder. I just happened to stumble across the article.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Poopbot2000

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 6:11pm

Thank you both for the feedback. I just got the breville auto dose grinder from Macy's (on sale for 180, more than the rigged cuisinart but I just was too impatient). I'm happy to say that was precisely the problem. Now I can finally start trying to refine everything else and start developing my palette.

Thank you again, very much appreciated!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 6:40pm

Poopbot2000 Said:

Thank you both for the feedback. I just got the breville auto dose grinder from Macy's (on sale for 180, more than the rigged cuisinart but I just was too impatient). I'm happy to say that was precisely the problem. Now I can finally start trying to refine everything else and start developing my palette.

Thank you again, very much appreciated!

Posted October 15, 2012 link

Good grinder for money, plus it looks cool and is very easy to use. May not have all the adjustment of the Preciso, but you can still have an espresso range to play with. Easy to shim too if you wanted a bit more espresso room. Either way, much much much better than teh Cuisinart grinders.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Under-extracted...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245501041412)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+