Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Timing of extraction, from time pump is turned on, or timed from 1st drip???
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Timing of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 6:47pm
Subject: Timing of extraction, from time pump is turned on, or timed from 1st drip???

Be cool to have a thread about this as it was brought up in another post and reminded me. So how do you time your shots/what do you prefer? You see people who time from the second the pump is turned on, and others who time from 1st drip. The latter is what I prefer, for some reason when I time from when pump is turned on (tried with and without preinfusion) shots just pour too fast for my liking in 25 seconds and taste sorta under extracted. Whereas all the flavors for me come out when timed from 1st drip which obviously is a finer grind (ending up with a 25-30 second extraction after 1st drip). Guess it's a little trickier when using preinfusion as well, i.e. I have my machine set at 2 second preinfuse and 3-4 seconds dwell, so 1st drip usually doesn't start untill around 8-10 seconds and when I stop the pull the machine timer is usually in the 35-40 second area.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 10:46pm
Subject: Re: Timing of extraction, from time pump is turned on, or timed from 1st drip???

When to start timing is a matter of debate. IMHO extraction time starts when you turn on the pump, because that's when the puck of ground coffee first gets into contact with hot water, so that extraction begins. The flow should then start about 5 to 7 seconds later and is stopped at around 25 seconds. At least that's how 2008 champion barista Thomas Liebe, member of the Swiss section of the SCAE, explained in a TV interview, too. YMMV

PS: Unfortunately the video is available only in (Swiss) German.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 9:20am
Subject: Re: Timing of extraction, from time pump is turned on, or timed from 1st drip???

Multiple discussions all linked here:  When do you start timing the shot?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 8:54am

Not to be rude, but who cares? Just:
- Develop a consistent and repeatable routine
- Watch the espresso stream
- Stop when or just before the flow lacks viscosity and turns watery
- Taste the espresso
- Adjust accordingly as required to match your personal taste.
- Use the clock to make sure you aren't late for work   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 10:53am

frcn Said:

- Taste the espresso

Posted October 17, 2012 link

Amen, Randy, amen!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 2:12pm

frcn Said:

- Taste the espresso

Well said! BRAVO!!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 2:33pm

haha no I know, just thought it'd be a cool discussion. Every shot I've had when timing it from start of pump has always tasted a bit watery/underextracted in the 25-30 second range, even a friend did that and thought it was great, but it tasted just like on my machine, sorta under-extracted on his Vibiemme however he liked it and thought it was good. But another friend (BDB) and I had him try shots timed from 1st drip and he was surprised at the difference especially flavor wise, more rich, chocolately etc... so since then he's adjusted his grind to time 25-30 second shots from drip. Just thought it'd be interesting to see what people on here preferred.

Looks like those links on HB are the same, like split 50/50 lol
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 2:38pm

I am a drip, no wait ;0)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 2:59pm

Interesting note on the Redbird site, that both Redbird Espresso and Blue Jaguar are suggested 25 - 30 second shot from the first drip.  Of course YMMV, especially on other coffees.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 4:27pm

CMIN Said:

haha no I know, just thought it'd be a cool discussion. Every shot I've had when timing it from start of pump has always tasted a bit watery/underextracted in the 25-30 second range, even a friend did that and thought it was great, but it tasted just like on my machine, sorta under-extracted on his Vibiemme however he liked it and thought it was good. But another friend (BDB) and I had him try shots timed from 1st drip and he was surprised at the difference especially flavor wise, more rich, chocolately etc... so since then he's adjusted his grind to time 25-30 second shots from drip. Just thought it'd be interesting to see what people on here preferred.

Looks like those links on HB are the same, like split 50/50 lol

I like my shots to be around 35 sec from the start of the pump or 25 sec from the first drip or 30 sec from 5sec after the pump starts. Now if you change the grind, dose, volume, time  in any combination you can change the flavor of the shot.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Timing of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318197965622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+