Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Importing Coffee into Canada: prices + your experience
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Importing Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Sun Jul 4, 2004, 5:14pm
Subject: Importing Coffee into Canada: prices + your experience

CoffeeCat Said:

CoffeeCat Said:

...I've had a few surprises purchasing $50 worth of goods from the states only to pay UPS $30-$40 brokerage fees ...ouch!!  Shipping is going to kill you!!  You may be asked to pay as much as $3 per pound to ship so you want to make sure it's worth your while...I can buy good beans from Ontario but shipping is very expensive (30 bucks for each 10lbs).  There's a few places out there that sell in bulk (30lb or more) but I'd like to get 10lb or less.

Posted September 22, 2003 link

I hope someone can answer this question for me -

Have you found the above, in regards to ordering from Eastern Canada and from the US to be true, especially in regards to Sweet Marias?  When ordering from SM, what sort of charges did you incur when bringing in green beans to Canada?

Also - when you do an order from eastern Canada, what sort of shipping charges do you generally incur?

The reason I am asking, is there are a few varieties I am looking for, that I can't buy from Craig.  I'm looking at a few varieties from terracaf, but at close to 7/lb, it's not looking economical for this 22yr old to buy!  SM carries these same varieties.

Thanks for your help :)

Jimmy Oneschuk

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JohnF
JohnF
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Carezza (in the nude) :)
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama on the way....
Drip: Pour over and presses...
Roaster: 2# Buzz Roaster & SC/TO
Posted Sun Jul 4, 2004, 5:56pm
Subject: Re: Importing Coffee into Canada: prices + your experience

From my experience it's expensive and complicated.

So complicated from FedEx that I gave up and went with USPS at something like 2-3 times more costly than shipping within the US.

But if SM's has jumped through all the paperwork hoops UPS/FedEx international might be a less expensive option.

If you know the weight and zip codes you can check rates directly at UPS/FedEX, and USPS ".com".

Jay

"coffee is bag to me. It always follow me like bag. I do love coffee. Its taste & aroma make me sweet~ . I happy happy day with coffee"
dougwiebe
dougwiebe

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Innova (Flat), Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Cafetino Balance, B&D Infuze
Drip: Chemex - the best!
Roaster: Poppery popper
Posted Sun Jul 4, 2004, 10:27pm

espressobsessed Said:

CoffeeCat Said:When ordering from SM, what sort of charges did you incur when bringing in green beans to Canada?

Posted July 4, 2004 link

Fortunately, green beans are exempt from duties, so you'll only have to pay GST on them. As far as shipping, depending on which outfit is used, you'll have to pay their rates.

Good luck.

Doug Wiebe
espressobsessed
espressobsessed

Posted Sun Jul 4, 2004, 10:42pm

Thanks Doug.  Duty and brokerage: are they the same creatures?

Saskatoon SK Canada
mindtrip

Grinder: Zass
Roaster: Toastmaster Popper
Posted Mon Jul 5, 2004, 5:13am

espressobsessed Said:

Thanks Doug.  Duty and brokerage: are they the same creatures?

Posted July 4, 2004 link

Unfortunately no, duty and brokerage are not the same beast.

Duty is a levy charged at a specified rate, depending on what the item is (as well as it's origin), that is collected by the CBSA (formerly CCRA).

Brokerage fees are a (apparently) random amount of money charged by the carrier to do the paperwork to "broker" your package through the customs process. UPS, and FedEx charge somewhere around 20-30$ for this priviledge. If the package is sent via USPS, the brokerage is a flat 5$.

My personal preference is to use USPS for packages up to about 10-15lbs, and FedEx ground for anything larger.

Finally,

dougwiebe Said:

Fortunately, green beans are exempt from duties, so you'll only have to pay GST on them. Good luck.

Posted July 4, 2004 link

I'm not sure whether they should charge you GST on the the beans. Last I heard, green coffee is GST exempt, but I don't know if that applies when it crosses the border as well....perhaps only when resold within canada...

Cheers,
-jamie
 View Profile Link to this post
espressobsessed
espressobsessed

Posted Mon Jul 5, 2004, 5:58am

Knowing that USPS has a flat rate brokerage makes a HUGE difference.  Thanks a ton, Jamie!

-Jimmy

Saskatoon SK Canada
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Importing Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.363909959793)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+