Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
I prefer my 15$ moka pot to my 400$ espresso machine (?)
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > I prefer my 15$...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
130psi
130psi
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Brazata Virtuoso Preciso;...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 4:25pm
Subject: I prefer my 15$ moka pot to my 400$ espresso machine (?)

I've spent over a year developing my technique with decent equipment (at left). I am an experienced experimental scientist and I believe that I've varied every variable discussed in these forums: bean freshness and roast, grind size (extraction times ranging from 15-30 seconds), amount of beans, temperature surfing, tamping pressure, I even tried a range of water pressure by adjusting the OPV. Result: The crema looks good, sometimes with a nice tiger striping. It doesn't matter. It tastes OK, but a bit harsh, slightly burned, to me. When I casually make a moka pot I smell lovely perfume and it tastes great. I, in general, am a fairly sensitive taster. Is espresso just not my cup of Joe or is there something that I've failed to try? BTW, I ask b/c I feel guilty spending this much money only to discover this result.

-Brett

Making espresso is not rocket science. Rockets fail less often.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 4:56pm
Subject: Re: I prefer my 15$ moka pot to my 400$ espresso machine (?)

So many factors, so many variables, and little at your disposal to control them with the espresso machine you have.
Try the espresso as an Americano by adding some hot water to the espresso and see if the taste approaches that which you achieve from the moka pot. A more coarse grind with a larger dose of coffee brewed at a slightly lower temperature should give an espresso which is less harsh.

The temperature control is the most difficult to achieve with an unmodified single boiler machine. With a taste difference in the espresso able to be sensed with a one degree change by many drinkers, and two degrees easily sensed by most, small changes in this area make a difference. Since surfing is all you can do, it makes control difficult.

The best way to deal with this, taking into consideration your scientific approach and experience, is to get another barista to come over and play with your setup. maybe even bring a different grinder and some other beans. A BBQ or beer (or both) usually is sufficient motivation, and some single malt assures a response!    ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 5:28pm

frcn Said:

The best way to deal with this, taking into consideration your scientific approach and experience, is to get another barista to come over and play with your setup. maybe even bring a different grinder and some other beans. A BBQ or beer (or both) usually is sufficient motivation, and some single malt assures a response!    ;-)

Posted September 27, 2012 link

Hmmm single malt. Be there in a few!
Randy's advice is spot on. Even experienced home barista's have a bit of trouble getting consistent shots on a machine such as yours, though you SHOULD be able to get some very good shots.
Just curious, what espresso beans/blends are you using?
Are they freshly roasted? Is there a date on the bag?

It DOES start with the coffee.
Perhaps you just haven't found the coffee that rocks your world. (for your machine.)

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wcmocha
wcmocha
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Nemox Lux
Drip: Keurig
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 10:46am

I've been in a similar place lately too.  To say I've heavily modded my machine would be an understatement and I have countless hours and money invested.  I wouldn't say I prefer the taste of other methods since I've pulled some amazing shots I would always take over other options.  However it's been a while since I've pulled a shot on my machine.  I've been using an aeropress and just steaming milk on my machine.

I've found that If I don't pull at least a shot every day or two, it takes a few to dial it in.  I'm just tired of wasting coffee getting it dialed in for just one shot.  I roast really good coffee in small batches and I've never wasted any in my aeropress, so I've tended to go back to it unless I'm entertaining or really drinking coffee regularly.

As for wasting money.  The shot's I've pulled at times have been worth every penny just to have had the experience.  It's like single malts too.  I have a decent selection of those too and have spent in the hundreds for a single bottle, but it's also worth it for the experience.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:55pm

130psi Said:

Is espresso just not my cup of Joe or is there something that I've failed to try? BTW, I ask b/c I feel guilty spending this much money only to discover this result.

"Failed to try" could be temperature control.  A PID makes this simple, though good temperature surfing and temperature measurement can also achieve it.  You mentioned surfing, but did you get desired temperature/control, or just try different methods?  A PID for brew temperature does not have to add much expense if DIY.  As noted, 1 - 2 degrees can be significant.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 5:20pm

130psi Said:

I've spent over a year developing my technique with decent equipment (at left). I am an experienced experimental scientist and I believe that I've varied every variable discussed in these forums . . .

"Varying the variables" doesn't automatically lead to success.  Care to be specific?  Where did you get your beans? What beans are you using?  What does are you using? etc., etc., etc. -- be specific.

By the way:  a) $400 isn't very much to spend on an espresso machine; b) the Gaggia Classic is the LEAST expensive machine that I would feel comfortable in recommending -- in other words, it's acceptable, but barely.

Since you and I have not shared an espresso, I have no idea what the fault may be.  But have you gone to a truly excellent café and tasted their espresso?  I'm not talking Starbucks, or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, or even Peet's . . . I'm not sure where to suggest you even go in Sac -- I know Temple Coffee is supposed to be good, but I was underwhelmed when I went there.  But my point is that if you go to a "serious" café (or two or three) and don't like any of the cups of espresso you taste, well -- then you can stick with your moka pot guilt- and worry-free.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 7:01am

The PID was an important step with my Gaggia - 2 to 3F is enough to change the taste of the espresso noticeably, and temp surfing just wasn't doing it for me.  The other issue is distribution (not so much tamping) - do you have a naked PF, and/or do you get consistent extraction times if you don't play with the other variables?  I see a lot of channelling if I don't use WDT, and that has a big effect on both the extraction time for a set volume, and on the taste (channelling gives a fast shot and over extracted bitterness).  It's also possible that your Gaggia is running hot all the time, and you might try a little cooling flush before brewing to get the temperature down.

Try updosing the Gaggia as well, it seems to like 16-18g for a 2oz double, particularly now I've got the brew pressure down to 10 bar static (i.e. with blind pressure gauge).
130psi
130psi

Grinder: Brazata Virtuoso Preciso;...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:53am

Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone. Based on FB, I am now trying shorter pulls, 21g, lower temp.

Answers to Qs:

Beans, source: I've used the best sources available in Sacramento, Peets and Temple. Yesterday, I was in SF and scored Blue Bottle, Hayes Valley Espresso. Will report back later on that after I've tried it several times. I prefer medium over dark roasts, so Peets has not been a good source for me.

Roast: Anything that says Espresso; anything that is medium roast. Med roast generally works better for me. Favorites to date: Peets Burundi, Temple Espresso blend (can't remember the name). I seem to like S. American coffees.

Dose: 14-18 g. Am now trying 21 g, per replies above. Will also try blindly reducing temp a bit. If something good happens with temp I will get the PID.  I have often used the

WDT: yes.

Date: when serious, 2-9 days since roast. Stored in carafe.

Naked PF: Yes, sometimes it is beautiful (viscous cone, no channeling); sometimes it spurts (e.g., triple shot)

OPV: I did, long ago, bring the pressure down to ~ 9 bar from the factory setting (closer to 11 bar).

-Brett

Making espresso is not rocket science. Rockets fail less often.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:59am

130psi Said:

I've used the best sources available in Sacramento, Peets and Temple.

Posted October 1, 2012 link

OK, so -- at least from Peet's -- you have no idea when it was roasted.

130psi Said:

Yesterday, I was in SF and scored Blue Bottle, Hayes Valley Espresso. Will report back later on that after I've tried it several times.

Posted October 1, 2012 link

What is the roasting date on the bag (if any), and how are you storing your beans?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 12:06pm

Your beans may very well be the problem.  Why don't you take a look at this list of favorites from over on Home Barista...

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

I used to use Peet's.  I'd say all of the coffees I've tried off of this list have been FAR superior...and though I've only tried a handful of them, my favorites so far are Red Bird Espresso and Klatch WBC.  In the beans forums here, there are myriad posts about flavor profiles.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > I prefer my 15$...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374327898026)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+