Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Is there a good tamper for the masses?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Is there a good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 11:49am
Subject: Re: Is there a good tamper for the masses?

To answer the OP, I have not found any good espresso tampers at any major store. Even stores that sell espresso machines like Macys and Sur la table.   I did find one at a coffee shop that roasts their own beans and sell prosummer machines and accessories.  Most people have no access to that type of store.  So the web is the best you can do.

Frcn was a bit brusk but if you go to the link in his sig file you will find some of the best espresso info on the interwebs.   And Frcn if you don't know what you need, 1700000000000000808 hits can be over whelming.  

In fact, I am not sure I have seen a good write up on what to look for in a tamper.  I personally want flat bottoms because that is what my screen looks like to me, but now they have curves and ridges.  And my basket bottom is now curved. Maybe curved would be better...

Has anyone done testing on the new styles?  I press down on the metal more than the handle. I saw Clive's has some that have a stub they call a butterfly that is meant to be used like that. Anyone test those?  I guess I need to google Home-barista.com that is right up their alley.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
break
break
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville, Moka stovetop
Grinder: Capresso infinity
Vac Pot: Bodum french press
Drip: Viking, Chemex
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:15pm

No offense  taken from you.......I'll follow your suggestion

Yes Frcn is a bit abrupt.......that's for him to work out.

My in-store choice was a failure for a rather elemental reason...the cheap thing just broke in half on the initial tamp....and the Chinese want to build an aircraft carrier?

My basic requirement...the thing is available for multiple uses

Sadly, since few espresso machines are being sold in coffee shops, there are few if any accessories around. Staarbucks even used to cary a nice one....heavily weighted, rubber grip...about $20.

Naturally, I'll check out the Web

Many thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 1:02pm

Tampers have to fit the basket. So if you change machines your tamper might not fit your new machine.  I use my old 49mm tamper to flatten cookies and smash garlic.  I could even flatten meat with it I guess.  It was so cheap, it was not worth the cost of shipping back when I realized my krups would not make espresso.  Not that it really fit the krups anyway.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 1:05pm

You can't break this one:
Click Here (www.clivecoffee.com)
 I have one like that which is 12 years old.

This is a good one
http://www.amazon.com/53mm-Espresso-Tamper/dp/B001JYB5MS

or this:
Click Here (www.amazon.com)

or this:

or this:

or this:

or this:

or this:

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 1:48pm

break Said:

Looking for a reasonably inexpensive but solid espresso tamper. Bought one last week @ Sur La Table (OK, I know...) for about $10..got one use out of it before it collapsed.

Suggestons?

Posted September 25, 2012 link

OK, I've read all the other posts here (or at least skimmed them).  Despite the little spat, I suggest easing up on Randy (frcn).  He's a seasoned enthusiast in this world, and in my opinion, somewhat of a guru here. He's answered more questions here than I've even read.  If you take a little time to be more specific in the future, you will find he's extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and very friendly and respectful.  Ok, he doesn't need me to come to his defense, and in truth, that's not my intent.  I'm just trying to get you and him back on good terms.

Ok, getting back to the thread...

My first thought is...by inexpensive, did you mean $10?  Next, how did one ever collapse even a pos tamper (I'm guessing this was a plastic thingy)?  You're tamp pressure must be through the roof.  Did you use a hammer or something, or were you just putting your entire body weight into it? You might want to get out a bathroom scale, so you can see what roughly 30# feels like.  I hope you took it back to Sur la Table for a refund.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 1:58pm

emradguy Said:

OK, I've read all the other posts here (or at least skimmed them).  Despite the little spat, I suggest easing up on Randy (frcn).  He's a seasoned enthusiast in this world, and in my opinion, somewhat of a guru here. He's answered more questions here than I've even read.  If you take a little time to be more specific in the future, you will find he's extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and very friendly and respectful.  Ok, he doesn't need me to come to his defense, and in truth, that's not my intent.  I'm just trying to get you and him back on good terms.

Ok, getting back to the thread...

My first thought is...by inexpensive, did you mean $10?  Next, how did one ever collapse even a pos tamper (I'm guessing this was a plastic thingy)?  You're tamp pressure must be through the roof.  Did you use a hammer or something, or were you just putting your entire body weight into it? You might want to get out a bathroom scale, so you can see what roughly 30# feels like.  I hope you took it back to Sur la Table for a refund.

Ron, thank for that elegant and thoughtful posting.
Randy, thanks for the links. I know you to be most generous, and usually not testy.
Bygones for everyone?!!
To our OP, specifics around here can really make things much easier to work with.
Also, the least said about stores such as you mention, the better, as they are not meant for SERIOUS coffee GEEKS, which you now, unfortunately are!

Good luck with your tamper search.
BTW, for me, i like to check the group scree first. Is it curved a bit? (Convex) Maybe go with a tamper with a slight convex curve to the base.
If the screen is flat, maybe try a flat bottom. MOST importantly, you want a pretty tight fit.
Many here have several tampers.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 9:18pm

Tamping is generally the most over-discussed and over-rated function in espresso preparation. You will find advice to tamp from 5 pounds to over 75 pounds, shapes recommended will be flat, convex, and even patterned faces. Nutate, joystick, NESW, and just smash and go.

The only things that matter:
1 - It fits your basket(s)
2 - It feels good in your hand
3 - Made well enough that it doesn't self-destruct the first time you use it

#2 is only so that you have control and can tamp level without difficulty. This might include mass, height, handle diameter, and possibly material of which it is made.

And somewhere down around #76, it looks pretty to you.

Now...

You never told us what #1 should be.
We cannot possibly help you with #2. It's a subjective decision.
#3 encompasses just about any tamper available except the one you bought.

The only tamper I have ever held and did not at all like (not that I have held all that many) was the Espro Dillinger, but I wear an XL glove and that could be a factor with this.

And, in response to a request in an earlier post in this thread, I openly request every manufacturer of tampers to send me one 58mm tamper of each model you produce and I will start a tamper review section on my website. It will be fairly worthless because I only posses one size of hands, but I will do my best.

"And he did speak upon the masses saying, go forth and tamp righteously, for ye shall be known as the baristas."

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
hankua
hankua

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 9:23pm

Best deal is on the bay from precisiontampermaker aka Hai Pham and he can cut it any fractional size you want. Located in Florida and has super fast shipping.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 9:38pm

hankua Said:

Best deal is on the bay from precisiontampermaker aka Hai Pham and he can cut it any fractional size you want. Located in Florida and has super fast shipping.

yup awesome tampers with top notch quality, and sized perfectly to fit any basket.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 9:47pm

C'mon, Randy - we could start a traveling round robin of tampers. Everybody uses one for a week and sends it to the next person on the list, then reviews it and starts using the next tamper. Hit a variety of hand sizes, basket types, machines, tamping routines. We could accumulate a massive database about tamper shopping, plus everybody would get to try out a whole bunch of tampers.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Is there a good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329350948334)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+