Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Foreign objects in beans...
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Foreign objects...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mandheling

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Instantaneo
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 3:08am
Subject: Foreign objects in beans...

Hi all,

I was just grinding some beans and my grinder started struggling for a few seconds then finished as normal... When I checked the grounds, there was a white crystalline powder mixed in with the grounds - I couldn't tell what it was so I dumped the grounds and ran some more beans through the grinder which were fine...

I know I've had a couple of stones in my beans lately (which have pretty much done for the burrs on my el cheapo grinder), but I was wondering in your experience - how common are foreign objects in beans and should I realistically be checking them before loading them into my hopper?

Simon
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 3:18am
Subject: Re: Foreign objects in beans...

I guess it's rare, but on the other hand it's also so common, that a lot of people report similar experiences. The question is whether you want to go through the pains of checking each and every batch of beans for stones or the like. I don't know anybody who does systematically.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Mandheling

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 3:32am

I really don't know how many beans there are in 250g and I've no real desire to find out - the last stone I had looked exactly like a coffee bean so I'd have to have inspected every bean individually to have found it and that's bordering on obsessive!

It's interesting that it's a common occurence.. I guess it's the nature of the product!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 4:42am
Subject: .

Mandheling

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 5:38am

I tend to put enough beans in the hopper to grind a few double espressos - it works for me as a balance between convenience and maintaining the freshness of the beans, but it does mean that I pour beans from the bag straight into the hopper and therefore don't really inspect for foreign objects...

Thankfully I've never had anything like the head of a nail to deal with!
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 5:53am

It's not uncommon for patio dried coffees (bits of detriorated broken bits of concrete patio), Sumatran coffees that are dried just about anywhere they can find, jungle floor, side of the road/s, etc. D.P. Dry Processed Ethiopian coffees.

See here at Sweetmarias what Tom has found: http://www.sweetmarias.com/foreign.matter.in.coffee.shtml

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 5:58am

I didn't catch if you were roasting yourself or not but as the others have said, stones happen (and other stuff too)
Good roasters have destoners in their roasting setup to remove as much of the debris as possible. Buying from quality vendors, I have not had a stone etc yet. It may happen one day though!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Mandheling

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 6:06am

calblacksmith Said:

I didn't catch if you were roasting yourself or not but as the others have said, stones happen (and other stuff too)
Good roasters have destoners in their roasting setup to remove as much of the debris as possible. Buying from quality vendors, I have not had a stone etc yet. It may happen one day though!

Posted September 12, 2012 link

I'm not roasting myself, but I do buy my beans from a reputable source... I've not found anything in my beans that didn't actually look like a bean, but I'd definitely worry if a nail (or even a finger!) turned up in my next pack!
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 11:07pm

What is the worst that could happen anyway?

The burrs in the grinder get damaged and have to be replaced, or worst case scenario, the motor in the grinder gets jammed?
(I would assume that the barista would notice the loud abnormal buzzing/humming sound coming from the grinder and would
shut it off before the grinder started smoking.) Has that happened to anyone before?

I would think that roasting beans would be far more dangerous....

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Foreign objects...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274031877518)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+