Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Is there such a thing as a "Coffee Bean Bag"....ways to keep beans fresh??
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Is there such a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pointbob

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:40am
Subject: Is there such a thing as a "Coffee Bean Bag"....ways to keep beans fresh??

Is there such a thing as a "Coffee Bean Bag"....ways to keep beans fresh?

Just wanted to come up with a suggestion to keep beans as fresh as possible after opening bag...

thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 12:14pm
Subject: Re: Is there such a thing as a "Coffee Bean Bag"....ways to keep beans fresh??

1. Use them quickly. Roasted coffee stales rather quickly, almost certainly within one month of roasting (doesn't matter when you open the bag). Thus, you should use it up as quickly as you can.
  2. To help prolong freshness, store in a sealed contained away from heat and light. A jar with a tight lid, in a closed cabinet, will work perfectly fine. Vac-sealing a jar may be useful, I haven't tried it personally though.
  3. Some, myself included, have found that well-sealed containers of beans, such as jars or vaccuum sealed bags, will store well in the freezer. Some prefer chest freezers, as they afford a lower holding temp, but my experience with normal top-of-fridge freezers has been splendid. Roasted beans will keep in the freezer for many months, so long as you only freeze once. That is, once it's out of the freezer, it's out for good. Let it thaw completely at room temperature, then use as normal. FYI, ground coffee really won't see any benefit from prolonged storage, as the exposed surface area is much more prone to staling quickly.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 12:42pm
Subject: Re: Is there such a thing as a "Coffee Bean Bag"....ways to keep beans fresh??

Sweet Maria's sells resealable bags (ziploc-type closures) with the one-way air valves embedded in the side.  You can squeeze out the extra air after sealing, and these are marginally better than fixed-volume containers such as mason jars.  However, even sealed roasted coffee degrades over time, so a best defense includes roasting frequently and buying only what you'll use in a short time.  Buy coffee like you might treat bread: fresher is better, keep it away from extra air and heat, buy only what you'll use in the next week.  (Although some would argue two weeks is okay with coffee.)

Donald Varona
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 5:24pm

I wrote a very long review on the Friis Coffee vault, and a big part of that was dealing with the staling process and how to keep coffee fresh longer. I think that if you read it you will have the answers you need:
http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/friis.html
I did a lot of research to educate myself before comfronting the company which sells that item. They never offered me any scientific proof supporting their claims.

All the "solutions" that seem easy are fairly well fruitless. The biggest part of staling seems to be oxidation. Once roasted, coffee hungers for it. Even in small amounts it will cause relatively-fresh coffee to stale quickly. How to keep oxygen from touching coffee? Really, you can't. The only way I have heard to stop the 'decay' of the coffee is freezing (usually, colder than the freezer section of the refrigerator).

One-way valves are for the sole purpose of keeping the bags from bursting from the release of CO2 during shipping and storage. They do NOTHING to keep the beans fresh(er). Nitrogen and other inert gasses do nothing to stop the chemical breakdown of the beans' components, and as soon as the package is opened the beans inhale fully. If you don't believe that, get a can of Illy whole bean. While not exciting, they are tasty when the can is first opened. By day two (and depending on how sensitive your taste buds are, even one day after opening) they taste weeks old because they probably are. It happens that quickly.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:19am

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
denishicks8
denishicks8
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 2:53am

For storing coffee or coffee beans Air,Moisture,Heat,Light must be avoided.
1.Cool, dark, dry places (such as pantries and cabinets) are best for coffee storage.
2.Fridges and freezers should be avoided because they are moist.
3.Glass, ceramic or non-reactive metal containers with airtight gaskets are ideal for storing coffee.
4.Coffee can be stored fresh in clear, glass canisters or clear plastic ware only if the canisters are kept in a cool, dark place.
5.For countertop storage, opaque, airtight containers are best.
If coffee beans are stored as outlined above, they can stay fresh for over a year!

http://www.koffie-compleet.nl/
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 2:07pm

denishicks8 Said:

1.Cool, dark, dry places (such as pantries and cabinets) are best for coffee storage.

Posted September 4, 2012 link

Best? Compared to what? The fridge? Freezing?

How can it be best to keep beans cool, but bad to keep them in a fridge? If they are kept in a sealed container (as you recommend in #4), it is better to keep them in the fridge than on a counter top (which you say is OK in #5).

If coffee beans are stored as outlined above, they can stay fresh for over a year!

Maybe you enjoy drinking stale coffee, but once roasted, unless you deep-freeze the coffee, there is NO WAY coffee will be drinkable in a year. If you would like to quote some sources for your facts I would be glad to read them. There is NO WAY that coffee will be fresh after one year of storage using the methods you recommend.

Please feel free to read this article which I wrote: http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/friis.html
It documents the unfounded claims of a company that makes a coffee storage vessel, and it contains a number of sources to prove my assertions from experts in the field in regards to coffee storage.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 10:04pm

denishicks8 Said:

True.  But as for the rest . . .

denishicks8 Said:

Uh, no.
Babbie's Rule* of Fifteens:
-- Green (unroasted) coffee beans should be roasted within 15 months, or they go stale.
-- Roasted coffee beans should be ground within 15 days, or they go stale.
-- Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes, or it goes stale.

Your choice.

Cheers,
Jason

* OK, so there are very few hard-and-fast "rules" -- more like "rules-of-thumb."

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 5:26am
Subject: .

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Is there such a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359482049942)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+