Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Extraction Difficulties/Inconsistencies
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extraction...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Perazzi

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 8:55pm
Subject: Extraction Difficulties/Inconsistencies

Hello, I have a Le'Lit with PID and a Baratza Preciso with the weight attachment.  I am using Black Velvet Blend Medium Roast roasted the day I bought it and I put it in the freezer (I ordered two bags).  On the first bag I had a significant issue with a very acidic/lemon peel taste that I was unable to correct, and this is also prevalent in the second bag.  

I tried an 18g dose at 198, 203, 207 F and then switched to a 16g dose (at 203, my standard temp) to try and bring out the caramels.  To me, all four shots tasted similar.

After this, I decided that the problem was most likely the blend itself.  I tried to correct the problem with start dumping/stopping early.  By start dumping, I was able to create a "bland" shot that had no citrus/acid, which made me think I was on the right track.  After two equally bland shots it occurred to me that I may have been start dumping too much, but when I let fewer drops go into the drip tray the acid came back.

Up to this point, I had been getting a 1.5 oz Double Ristretto at 30 seconds (from the turning on of the machine).  I then tried to grind finer, with the idea being that I could take the middle 27 seconds or so of a 35+ second extraction.  This idea turned out... poorly.

Now I admit part of me thinks that all of this playing around is ensuring I get a bad shot, but I seem to be unable to solve this.  Do any of you have any advice that might help me solve this?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 10:49pm
Subject: Re: Extraction Difficulties/Inconsistencies

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Have you tried using a different blend? Some beans simply have a stronger acidity than others. Maybe you just don't like this particular sort of coffee.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 3:26am

Perazzi Said:

I am using Black Velvet Blend Medium Roast roasted the day I bought it and I put it in the freezer (I ordered two bags).  On the first bag I had a significant issue with a very acidic/lemon peel taste that I was unable to correct, and this is also prevalent in the second bag.  

Posted September 3, 2012 link

Next time, store the bag in a cool, room temperature location for five days before opening it. You will lose some of the most volatile, delicate flavors, but you will probably lose the lemon peel edge, too.

I don't know if excess CO2 in the too-young beans interferes with the extraction on a micro level, or if excessive quantities remain dissolved in the espresso and form too much harsh carbonic acid.
But it takes "beans of a certain age" to produce mellow espresso.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Perazzi

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 11:11am

Thanks for the responses!

I had completely forgotten about letting the beans rest. I am used to buyin beans at the right time sitting on the shelf, but when the beans were roasted to order I completely forgot to let them rest.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extraction...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240612030029)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+