Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Digital scale recommendation
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Digital scale...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 1:16pm
Subject: .

View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 1:41pm
Subject: Re: Digital scale recommendation

Netphilosopher Said:

Guys, guys - we're only talking the difference of a lb or two of coffee...

:^D

Posted August 23, 2012 link

Or 4-5 lbs if we're buying greens and roasting.

Unless it's Gesha.
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 9:05am

GVDub Said:

Let's check back in in 20 years, okay? Then we can compare ongoing scale costs over that period. .

Posted August 23, 2012 link

How about every 5 years instead. 20 years could be pushing it on my end.

John
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 3:24pm

JVBorella Said:

I've got 3 of these: Click Here (www.ebay.com)

2 in use everyday & a spare just in case one of the others ever breaks. Paid $5.00-$7.50 including shipping which takes about 10 days from China. They are accurate & can be recalibrated if you have weights. Having paid $25-$30 for supposedly better quality scales in the past which ended up in the trash within a year or so these are the only scales I'll buy for my coffeebar.

Posted August 21, 2012 link

I had the same, but it died after 2 years of light use. The zero started drifting and it became useless. Just another data point on reliability.

I bought this one to replace it (as recommended by Mark Prince).

Click Here (www.amazon.com)
JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 6:57pm

Lots of unhappy users in the Amazon reviews of the Chinese "American Weigh". I've had several $25-$30 scales that turned to crap in a few months so I'll stick with the $5 wonders. Based on my experience paying 4-5 times more doesn't necessarily get you a better quality scale.

John
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 7:08pm

JVBorella Said:

Lots of unhappy users in the Amazon reviews of the Chinese "American Weigh". I've had several $25-$30 scales that turned to crap in a few months so I'll stick with the $5 wonders. Based on my experience paying 4-5 times more doesn't necessarily get you a better quality scale.

Posted August 26, 2012 link

I've got the american weigh 650 and it has 4/5 stars with 44 reviews. Skimmed through and most seem to be between 4-5 stars some with 100+ reviews, and a few I saw around 3.5 stars. I'd say that's pretty damn good for the amount for the amount of reviews each one has. Mine came calibrated perfect and haven't had to re-calibrate frequently like some others, still measures to exactly .1 grams.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 7:10pm

CMIN Said:

I've got the american weigh 650 and it has 4/5 stars with 44 reviews. Skimmed through and most seem to be between 4-5 stars some with 100+ reviews, and a few I saw around 3.5 stars. I'd say that's pretty damn good for the amount for the amount of reviews each one has. Mine came calibrated perfect and haven't had to re-calibrate frequently like some others, still measures to exactly .1 grams.

Was only like 10 bucks on Prime I think? It is small though, but I like that on the counter, I use the top for it any way to zero out and hold the beans.
JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 6:29pm

CMIN Said:

Actually 14 of the reviews are 3 stars or less & 5 were 1 star. Par for the course. Some are going to hate it because it's "junk" while others think it's the best thing since sliced bread. If it's $10 w/Prime rest assured that's a $6-$7 scale as Amazon definitely factors in the shipping cost on the low end stuff. Personally I prefer the button layout on the scale I linked which also arrived properly calibrated.

John
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 6:13pm

I prefer the slightly larger size of the sc-2kg version. It has the advantage of being large enough to weigh the coffee along with the portfilter (which is great if you dose directly into the PF). Also, since it's larger and can take 2kg, it doubles nicely as a kitchen scale for meat. The plastic cover also keeps the buttons clean when not in use and has edges to avoid beans rolling away when reversed as a bean tray.

Also works great with the Pharos since you can stick the whole scale and tray under it to collect grounds during the whacking stage then pour right into the PF.

One downside though. It shuts off automatically after only 1 minute.
Jacob22
Jacob22

Posted Sat Jan 11, 2014, 12:29am

Its hard to find a good scale with many features in $20 because companies are using modern technology in new scales that is more expensive.But you can contact with any local company in your area to get low price scale in your area or try on ebay and amazon.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Digital scale...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361315011978)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+