Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > .  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 7:29am
Subject: .

View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 7:33am
Subject: Re: Espresso Definition?

I was under the impression that H-B was using weight ratios to try to standardize the drinks for discussion and comparison.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 7:57am

The difficulty is that many of the 'standards" set over the years have been driven by commercial entities (Illy comes to mind). So much of the confusion is a muddled mess. For example, there was a discussion a while back as whether or not a Moka pot makes espresso. They cannot generate anything even within sight of 8 bars. But go to Italy and ask and you will be assured that it does indeed make espresso.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 10:11am

Unless you own a coffee shop or restaurant and want to serve certified Italian espresso, you might as well forget the highly technical definition of the Istituto Nazionale Espresso Italiano or any other coffee association. It can only give you a general (but very good) idea what espresso should be like. Any standard is only a starting point, from which you can try to find out what you personally like best. After all most here use more than just 7 g for a single or 14 g for a double shot. What counts in the end is the taste in your cup.

However, looking at the godawful espresso and espresso based drinks served in many places around the world, those standards are badly needed to define and maintain a certain minimum quality.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 10:12am

NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 10:20am

Netphilosopher Said:

... Now, the other interesting thing is the taste of equally-diluted, properly extracted espresso to a well-brewed properly extracted same strength coffee.... but that's OT from the original question of the "definition" of espresso.

Posted August 17, 2012 link

Isn't that how the Americano came about? ;-)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:16am

Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:30am

cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 12:28pm

frcn Said:

The difficulty is that many of the 'standards" set over the years have been driven by commercial entities (Illy comes to mind). So much of the confusion is a muddled mess. For example, there was a discussion a while back as whether or not a Moka pot makes espresso. They cannot generate anything even within sight of 8 bars. But go to Italy and ask and you will be assured that it does indeed make espresso.

Randy, I live in Italy and can assure you that no one here thinks that moka pot makes espresso, unless you are referring to the "BACCHI" that does make 9Bar espresso, shame the Bacchi is only known to a limited number of amateurs. It is more a problem of roasters who offer miracle blends..., or people who collect the first droplets of coffee and mix with sugar that vigourously stirred gives a kind of crema to be added to the cup after coffee is served
Ciao, Pietro
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 1:24pm

cappuccinoboy Said:

Randy, I live in Italy and can assure you that no one here thinks that moka pot makes espresso, unless you are referring to the "BACCHI" that does make 9Bar espresso, shame the Bacchi is only known to a limited number of amateurs. It is more a problem of roasters who offer miracle blends..., or people who collect the first droplets of coffee and mix with sugar that vigourously stirred gives a kind of crema to be added to the cup after coffee is served
Ciao, Pietro

I had to look that up, damn I want one, looks cool as hell lol http://www.bacchidesign.it/carioca/coffee_maker_eng.html

Yeh I don't consider Moka to be espresso, it's about as close as you can get to espresso though in terms of that deep, thick/syrupy type flavor. That Bacchi machine is really cool though, watched some vids on youtube.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > .  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306893110275)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+