Espresso: Questions and Answers
One Day Home Barista Class in Review.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > One Day Home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012, 11:53am
Subject: One Day Home Barista Class in Review.

Update:
The only home class I found was a 2 hour class by Clive's. I ended up going to Seattle to attend basic extraction and latte Art Class at http://www.seattlebaristaacademy.com/
It was a fun class but for the price paid, I would have liked to have seen a power point slide presentation or even posters that covered the info rather than the instructor reading out of the book.  For a pro braista academy I expected a lot more polish. I did like working on my own machine and the instructor was very nice and personable.  She has worked with coffee a long time and likes what she does.  I would have taught the class differently and covered more of how to buy an espresso machine and how they are used (like hx needs to a purge to cool down etc) and it felt like she was teaching for coffeeshops rather than really adapting her presentation for home users and covering the basic starter questions we see over and over again on this board.  She was a huge fan of coffeegeek site and Mark Prince and did refer some of the people asking buying questions here.  Also, she covered commercial grinder maintenance and did not cover changing group head gaskets.  I thought that would have been more helpful for a home user.

As you smart guys guessed, I would have gotten more out of it 10 months ago than today.  What I gained was a lot of confidence that I know my machine, know how to get a good shot out of it and that it works just like the new one next to me in class.  That was a huge thing for me as I am working in a bit of a void and have no one to give me feed back on my shots.  I also had a lot of fun.  I would recommend it as a good starting place especially if they make the improvements to the class I suggested.

The Latte art class did give me 2 pointers, I need to pour closer to the espresso, and faster (almost dump it into the cup) to do the heart that she taught and I can come up with good names for the strange shapes I pour....

If anyone wants more detail about the class please contact me off the board.

Original post:
Hi,
I was wondering if there were cheaper one day classes for a home barista in Portland.  I know about the coffeeschool but that is more than I have cost wise and I really just want a pro to tighten up what I am doing rather than train for running a shop.  You would think in Ptown there would be someone somewhere doing a smaller, cheaper, less formal class.

I want something like this but not one that needs air fare.
http://www.homebarista.com.au/home_barista_9.html

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GlenO

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini PP
Grinder: Forte AP, Macap M4 Stepless;...
Roaster: HotTopB-2k, UFO/TO
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 7:02pm
Subject: Re: One Day Home Barista Classes in Portland OR

You might try Clive Coffee in SE Portland.  I know they offer both basic and advanced home barista classes (each of them are 2 hours).  Check out the classes on their website under "About Us".   Perhaps the advanced class would meet what you're looking for.  I have no experience with their classes, but it might be worth a call to find out more.  Or perhaps they can point you in the right direction.
 View Profile Link to this post
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 9:24pm

+1 to checking out Clive, Helen. I've had quite a few touches with them over the past year or two, and everything about Clive has proved first-rate (besides, they're really nice...)  I have to wonder though, given your terrific focus on this site, if there's anything left for you to learn!  

It looks like there may be a Portland Coffee Get-Together coming up soon - Clive hosted a couple of these last year, and everyone enjoyed them a lot.  If you can make it, that would be a great learning experience in itself - some of the participants have a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge, and it'll give you a chance to check out the shop and talk with the Clive folks and maybe the instructors. Besides, with Water Avenue just next door and Coava an easy walk, it's a can't-miss trip.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012, 8:26am

TonyVan - Way to call me obsessive... :P

I looked on Clives and did not find that class listing I found an out of date class from 2010.  Google failed me.

Well nothing replaces hands on and I feel like I am handling the puck too much.  If I don't do that I get channeling like crazy. I watch the pros and they don't handle the puck that much.  I want to streamline my process so I am not having to play with the puck to stop channeling. I feel like this is where I could improve a lot with some hands on help.  And I want to be able to do it on my own Oscar.

I am turning out what I believe is good espresso. But again, I would love someone with a better palette than mine taste what I am putting out.  I still don't like straight espresso.  But I am drinking it with a lot less milk and sugar than I started with and no chocolate sauce.  I am down to a double shot in a 7 oz glass topped with microfoamed milk.  Down from the starbucket sized drinks.

Coffeenoobie

TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012, 10:47pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I looked on Clives and did not find that class listing I found an out of date class from 2010.  Google failed me.

Posted July 20, 2012 link

Well, Google might fail you but never CoffeeGeek!  www.clivecoffee.com/category/Clive_classes.html.

Looks like they have a class on Saturday/28 for $35. Maybe you'll pick up that one little change or idea that makes a difference.  But I suspect you would be more likely to get more out of the advanced class.

"Passionate" always sounds more positive than "obsessive."  It's not clear that I'm successful with that argument very often, but sometimes it's all I've got.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 9:15pm

Another suggestion: make friends with the barista community. Just as with any hobby that has a professional correlary (think beer and wine, both are great examples), there will always be folks who are have pro-level know-how that are willing to simply hang out and geek out for a bit. A lot of baristas don't really get the chance to just tool around on a machine for a while, and if you throw in dinner or something, they'll probably be quite happy to come and show you a thing or two. It's cheaper than a class by far (not that Clive's isn't worthwhile, I'm sure it's great!), and a good way to make some friends.

P.S. Making friends with folks who work behind the counter is never a bad idea. Especially when they're feeling generous ;)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 10:21pm

That is an awesome suggestion Steve and if I did not live in the country I would do it in a heart beat. Part of the reason I am doing my own is that because I don't live near good espresso. I would have to drive at least 45 mins to an hour or 2 to get to a place that has a real barista.  (depending on what city I aim for) Hard to make friends when you can't hang out as a regular.   But it is a good suggestion.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:39am

Even though all I want is steaming and tamping help, I was told rather bluntly that Clives was not interested in helping me.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 12:26pm

Signed up for the Seattle 1 day class in a few weeks.  Will report back how it goes.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 10:02am

I am excited about the Seattle class.  He is letting me bring all my own equipment to work on.  (a bone of contention with Clive's) And I will get lots of Latte art training.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > One Day Home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310879945755)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+