Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Freezer help
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Freezer help  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 9:08am
Subject: Freezer help

All right. I must be doing something wrong and need help. I get mail order coffee from Phil and Sebastien's roaster in Calgary. I recently received two bags of a coffee from Costa Rica. I received them on day 5 post roast and they come in vacuum bags. my system is that I put the vacuum bag into a plastic airtight-ish container and put that into the freezer. it usually works out.

This time I kept one bag out the other went into the freezer. the first bag was the best coffee that I had ever had. phenomenal, great balance and beautiful flavours.

but here's the problem. I took the second bag out. it had been in there 9days, and it has been just terrible. worst coffee I have ever had and no matter how I play with the grind and dose it is just not working out.

any ideas?

j
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 9:41am
Subject: Re: Freezer help

people say the valves on the vacuum bags the roasters use work variably, and that there's a big risk of them allowing air to back flow into the bag.  I used to put my bags from the roasters directly into the freezer and never had any difficulty.  You've even taken it a step further with the plastic container, so I personally would suspect the coffee and not your freezer.  My new method is to buy 5 lb bags and break them down into mason jars, then freeze those.  It's probably a better method than relying on the bags' valve.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 5:35pm

A piece of scotch tape over the valve is one way to stop any travel of moisture or freezer flavors. What a shame, I bet you where really looking forward to that second bag. I have been freezing for a few years and once in a while something happens and the beans have degraded a bit but I have never had good beans go awful from freezing (freezing proper). I use mason jars but have used freezer bags, and vacuum bags, mason jars work best for me for ease of filling and ease of selection when searching in the deep freezer.
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 9:18pm

I would definitely prefer mason jars. However, the bags I receive come in 12 oz vacuum bags and I can't bring myself to open the bag in order to transfer it to a mason Jar. it seems to make sense to me to keep it in the bag and then in a container. But I am looking for comment on that.

And I really was looking forward to that second bag.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 8:48am

Perhaps you'd be better off putting your commercial bags into ziploc freezer bags, than into "air tight" containers.  Unless your "air tight" containers are vacuum-able, it'll allow you to considerably reduce the chance to stale your coffee from outside air going backwards through the valve.  Of course, as Rob pointed out, you could simply tape over the valve.  I don't really see the advantage of dropping the bag into a container that isn't a vacuum environment.

CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 10:50am

emradguy Said:

people say the valves on the vacuum bags the roasters use work variably, and that there's a big risk of them allowing air to back flow into the bag.  I used to put my bags from the roasters directly into the freezer and never had any difficulty.  You've even taken it a step further with the plastic container, so I personally would suspect the coffee and not your freezer.  My new method is to buy 5 lb bags and break them down into mason jars, then freeze those.  It's probably a better method than relying on the bags' valve.

Posted July 3, 2012 link

Something like this??, just saw these packs on Amazon:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 12:06pm

yes, those are them.  I bought most of mine directly from Ball, by the case.  I also bought some from my local Target store, and I would be surprised if you can't find them at WalMart, BB&B, Linens n Things, etc.

I predominantly use 16 oz jars, but we go through one in a little less than a week (typically 2-3 doubles a day).  I use 8 oz jars for decaf, which we use less frequently (about 1/3 - 1/2 our regular use).

JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 12:41pm

That's what i have use in the past when receiving non vacuum bags of coffe and it has worked well. Do you think I would be better off to open the vacuums bag (this where I worry about loosing freshness), and transferring into a jar?

That last bag as well may just have been a bum bag. I just took out a Phil and Sebastian's panama that had been in the freezer two weeks and it is amazing!!!

One of these days I'll start roasting my own...
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 3:33pm

emradguy Said:

Posted July 3, 2012 link

+1

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JDHarding
JDHarding

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 5:15pm

I just put my beans into ziplock freezer bags. I've had bags of coffee in there for 3 to 6 months now that taste as good as fresh. I used to use mason jars, but it takes too long for the jar to get back to room temp. Easier just to take a full ziplock bag out of the freezer, dump beans into mason jar, and start using right away.

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Freezer help  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370064973831)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+